DVDVR Message Board

WWE Evolution - 10/28/2018

Dolfan in NYC

I still think its  a pretty good card, even if I get why people are critical. At least the battle royal has meaning due to the title shot stipulation, and its better to have fewer matches on a PPV card if it means that each match gets extra care and time, Hell in a Cell compared to the PPVs before it is a good example of this. (Based on how long they went on SDL last week and the Last Woman Standing stipulation, I'm suspecting Becky/Charlotte will be the longest on the card, but they could give good time to a few of the others, too.)

If I really want to go into tinfoil hat territory I'd be half tempted to think this show is being sabotaged on purpose due to another show coming up soon after.  Not saying that's the case, but can't say it's not the case either.  They had a real chance to make this a unique mix of past and present and aside from the Trish/Lita tag we're not quite getting that.  But unlike the giant shitshow that airs soon after I'll be watching this anyway hoping for the best.  Looking at the positive this will get the UK Women's title match in front of a bigger crowd and so long as it delivers should be a great showcase.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

If I really want to go into tinfoil hat territory I'd be half tempted to think this show is being sabotaged on purpose due to another show coming up soon after.  Not saying that's the case, but can't say it's not the case either.  They had a real chance to make this a unique mix of past and present and aside from the Trish/Lita tag we're not quite getting that.  But unlike the giant shitshow that airs soon after I'll be watching this anyway hoping for the best.  Looking at the positive this will get the UK Women's title match in front of a bigger crowd and so long as it delivers should be a great showcase.

I definitely think it will be a quality show, given that they will all have time and shouldn't be rushed. 

• Like 1

I felt there was an opportunity to showcase the women's wrestling abilities, that's what this entire "Evolution" was about..  it was the females being given more time to perform and then having awesome matches that were sometimes on par or better than what the men were doing. 

Becky vs. Charlotte is exactly the type of matches that I envisioned for the show.   

A legend's match is a cool idea but I don't know if this tag match is the right way to go about it. 

I understand why they'd have Nikki Bella be Ronda's challenger but it's going to be a lot of smoke and mirrors and probably overbooked with tons of interference. 

Then you have the battle royal and the (assuming since it's not yet announced ) six-women tag which there was obviously no thought put into any of that...  

I am quite okay with Nikki against Ronda because at least Nikki can throw a gotdamn great forearm and has gotten pretty good in the ring.  I am worried about her neck though because I thought she was limited due to injuries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

Sadly enough, I don't think the show is being sabotaged, it's just more Vince's vision of the show isn't really in line with what the majority of the fans want.

Is it what “the majority” of fans want or just a vocal and often under appreciated smaller percentage? 

• Thanks 1

It's what Vince wants. Older names, Divas types, legit types, Blondes on top. Your Sasha, Bayley, Asuka on the bottom. 

Not sure who winning the battle royale but it might be Naomi the winner vs Becky looking at house shows. Or not. Becky is more over than all the other horse women, so hence the company pushing her. 

Dunn hates Becky accent but I'm not so sure Vince cares. Vince loves the Irish.

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

Sadly enough, I don't think the show is being sabotaged, it's just more Vince's vision of the show isn't really in line with what the majority of the fans want.

The card is pretty much exactly what a WrestleMania card with only women would be and in Vince's mind I could see that being the biggest compliment of women's wrestling that he could come up with. 

1 hour ago, D.Z said:

It's what Vince wants. Older names, Divas types, legit types, Blondes on top

Oh good, this shit again.

Everyone's shitting on the battle royal being thrown together without any thought, and that's true, but isn't it much better that everyone gets a payday than having a womens-only PPV that leaves a large number of the women off the show entirely?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Everyone's shitting on the battle royal being thrown together without any thought, and that's true, but isn't it much better that everyone gets a payday than having a womens-only PPV that leaves a large number of the women off the show entirely?

There are a couple of things going around that collected Twitter reactions from a lot of the women announced for the Battle Royal (the most prominent is PWI but I am not linking to their site since I respect your computer)

Many seemed less than pleased

Could be people reading WAY into things but it could also be a case of the women pondering if the later of your question might be better than the former.

13 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Oh good, this shit again.

You assume I care about Sasha, Asuka  and etc to being reglected to the battle royal. I'm only stating how Vince and co works. They're very much pattern based with few exceptions to the rules. 

Charlotte is blonde, Bliss, Trish, Ronda, all get more poster work. Helps that's Ronda, Bliss, Flair are the actual aces of the divisions for now even without belts for two of them.

Vince sees Bella's and Lita as former Diva types. So hence Nikkie the diva vs Ronda the legit girl.

I know it's not a strong improvement but if they needed to throw a bunch of women into one big filler match, they could do worse than a gauntlet. Gives every woman at least a moment of spotlight and the last couple women gauntlet matches they've run have been pretty strong. 

Battle royals suck more often than not. 

• Like 1

It seems like there's a disagreement here that the "evolution" wasn't about the in-ring product?  I mean we can debate that I guess but I thought it was pretty clear that's what this was all about..  it started in NXT and grew from there with the "#givedivasachance"  hashtag.   So with that,  I don't see how one could say that Asuka's talent (and others) is best utilized via a battle royal that has been thrown together with no build. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

Who's saying that?

@odessasteps posed the question that maybe this is what the majority of fans want which you agree with and I'm saying that the #givedivasachance hashtag that blew up in the twitterverse was about giving these women who were underappreciated more than a few minutes to shine.  It was about wrestling.   It was about the ladies in NXT and the women on the main roster.  It was never about part time performers, comebacks and battle royals. 

• Thanks 1

The card feels a little short at 7 matches. Hopefully this means some of the the singles matches will get more time. The card itself honestly looks decent. Kairi/Shayna and Becky/Charlotte are proven good matches. The MYC Final is another proven good match. Nikki/Ronda could go either way, but I think it leans more towards good with how well Ronda has been performing and Nikki herself looking generally decent-solid in this most recent comeback. The NXT UK Title match I'm not really sure of since both it's participants are a bit unproven but show potential. The Battle Royal will be neither here no there. Lita/Trish vs. Alexa/Mickie is honestly the weakest match on the show. I think the show will turn out fine quality wise. I don't think there is a big match sell beyond Ronda's.

3 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I am quite okay with Nikki against Ronda because at least Nikki can throw a gotdamn great forearm and has gotten pretty good in the ring.  I am worried about her neck though because I thought she was limited due to injuries.

Nikki's neck is what worries me the most about this match up as well. Aside from that I think it will be fine at worst. I do think she has looked better now than she did in her last run. Its becoming more and more clear she came back too soon in 2016.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@odessasteps posed the question that maybe this is what the majority of fans want which you agree with and I'm saying that the #givedivasachance hashtag that blew up in the twitterverse was about giving these women who were underappreciated more than a few minutes to shine.  It was about wrestling.   It was about the ladies in NXT and the women on the main roster.  It was never about part time performers, comebacks and battle royals. 

The match that started that hashtag was literally a Bella Twins match. It was never about specific women - it was about giving all of the women equal time.

I liked that post because I think a lot of people on this board (and elsewhere in the IWC) think that the prevailing opinions here (and elsewhere) are shared by the entire fan base, which isn't always the case - someone is buying all of that Roman Reigns merch.

15 minutes ago, Eivion said:

The card feels a little short at 7 matches. Hopefully this means some of the the singles matches will get more time. The card itself honestly looks decent.

Presumably after last night they will be adding Natalya/Sasha/Bayley v. the Riott Squad to complete it at 8 matches.

Initially thought they would do an SDL 8 woman tag as mentioned in last week's SDL thread, of Asuka/Naomi/Lana/Carmella v. Iiconics/Sonya/Mandy which at least seems more feud-based and would give them a somewhat better showcase than the thrown together battle royal but I guess not. Mostly feel for Asuka who went from winning the 1st Womens Rumble, WrestleMania title match, to this.

The original announcement said there would be 50 women involved, adding that six woman tag would put 34 on the card with 14 currently named for the battle royal so maybe they will add 16 more to make it a full 30 woman battle royal.