DVDVR Message Board

WWE Evolution - 10/28/2018

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:

The match that started that hashtag was literally a Bella Twins match. It was never about specific women - it was about giving all of the women equal time.

I'm not disagreeing that the Bellas were a part in all this.  But it had to do with wrestling.  The NXT women were putting on great matches down there and if you recall Sasha, Becky and Charlotte were all brought up at the same time and Stephanie went on about how they were here to change the landscape and it's a new day for women's wrestling, I think she even said it's a "revolution" or what have you and I don't believe a battle royal where many of the talented women are thrown in and won't be able to display their skills is staying true to what this was supposed to be. 

They only have about 20 or so main roster performers.   There has to be a better way to utilize them.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm not disagreeing that the Bellas were a part in all this.  But it had to do with wrestling.  The NXT women were putting on great matches down there and if you recall Sasha, Becky and Charlotte were all brought up at the same time and Stephanie went on about how they were here to change the landscape and it's a new day for women's wrestling, I think she even said it's a "revolution" or what have you and I don't believe a battle royal where many of the talented women are thrown in and won't be able to display their skills is staying true to what this was supposed to be. 

They only have about 20 or so main roster performers.   There has to be a better way to utilize them.  

That has always been the issue with the whole R/Evolution. It might be about the wrestling, but WWE has always been rather shitty with the booking and focus of the wrestling part of it. This show isn't a new problem. That goes back to when it started with the very women you mentioned being brought up.

As or the main roster. They were always screwed once they said 50 women would be involved. That is just too many to try and service for one show.

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

That has always been the issue with the whole R/Evolution. It might be about the wrestling, but WWE has always been rather shitty with the booking and focus of the wrestling part of it.

No argument there,  I think instead of adding the MYC Finals and the UK title,  they should have been more concerned about rewarding the women who have busted their ass for years but that's not really ever been Vince's style. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

No argument there,  I think instead of adding the MYC Finals and the UK title,  they should have been more concerned about rewarding the women who have busted their ass for years but that's not really ever been Vince's style. 

To be fair Alicia Fox did have a Raw main event this year. Even after women started main eventing the occasional Raw and SDL that seemed so damn improbable. Honestly, I think having the mYC Finals was fine. I don't think the UK title match is needed and would have preferred a large tag match in its place. Really I was hoping we we get a few large brand focused tags; NXT vs. NXT UK. SDL v. Raw,  or Raw vs. NXT, etc.

3 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm just glad they went a different direction with Brie Bella and now the Maryse match can't happen. I've never been more happy to be wrong.

A Brie/Maryse match can best be summed up in this line from Layne Staley on "Wake Up" from the lone Mad Season album, Above.

"Slow suicide's no way to go."

This card is dogshit honestly, and a bit of a slap in the face. But WWE can't book for shit and I don't think that's an issue unique to the women.

This went from a show I was really looking forward to, to one I'm not even sure I'll watch.

I will say that I had my doubts about the women's royal rumble too, and that ended up being a really good match. And the big women's matches are traditionally the best laid out matches on the network specials. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Casey said:

I'm just glad they went a different direction with Brie Bella and now the Maryse match can't happen. I've never been more happy to be wrong.

Why? Just because Brie turned heel, why would she not hate Maryse? Unless Maryse got hurt.

14 hours ago, Victator said:

Why? Just because Brie turned heel, why would she not hate Maryse? Unless Maryse got hurt.

I'd wager it's more about the match itself, which most likely would have been an ugly mess, and sort of going against the whole women's revolution upping the match quality from the Diva's era. I had previously likened a Brie/Maryse match to slow suicide.

My big issue with the battle royal is that it's not like it's Royal Rumble where at least when somebody comes in they get a tad bit of time to show something.  This is just a regular battle royal (that's way too close to RR as it is) where a lot of them are going to get lost in the shuffle.  If anything this is the match I'm least looking forward to.

• Like 2

I mean, why not make it the women's Royal Rumble? It's a better match, fills time on a show that seems to need it, and I suspect having two Rumbles on one event won't be that fun now that the novelty has worn off. I know there's a few problems with that but it would give Survivor Series a notable title match and women like Naomi wouldn't be kvetching online about being in a filler match, which is not the kind of press you want for your first all female PPV.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'd wager it's more about the match itself, which mostly likely would have been an ugly mess, and sort of going against the whole women's revolution upping the match quality from the Diva's era. I had previously likened a Brie/Maryse match to slow suicide.

I meant more from a story telling point. They could do a short five minute match with smoke and mirrors. I just hate that when someone turns, they forget who they hate. 

Believe as a hateful man, my enemies list rarely fluctuates. 

On 10/16/2018 at 8:34 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

A Brie/Maryse match can best be summed up in this line from Layne Staley on "Wake Up" from the lone Mad Season album, Above.

"Slow suicide's no way to go."

That last line sums up being a Sabres fan perfectly.