DVDVR Message Board

WWE Evolution - 10/28/2018

Dolfan in NYC

Just now, hammerva said:

Yeah there was a lot of NXT in this show.  The lighting which was actually a bad thing because it made assholes think that nobody was at the show.  The live music hype video to promote the show.   That it was only 3 1/2 hours and not 4 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours

The production as a whole,  camera angles were different and with the lighting the only time they showed crowd shots were to show other wrestlers.  The focus was entirely on the ring and the performers.  

A Crown Jewel ad was in there and it must have appeared on the big screen because I heard some loud boos for it. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Edwin said:

That was indeed a fun show.

Not a single boring match.

Unintentional Mike Chioda heel turn as he pushed the chair to Becky's hand during the Figure 8 and he then held onto her so she wouldn't take a tumble during the finishing powerbomb.

Also lol@Triple H peeping his head while the ladies posed on the entrance to close the show.

He also just didn’t count when Becky was down while Charlotte was setting up the last table, and he pretty much stopped counting when Charlotte was coming out from under the chairs.

The only thing the PPV was missing was more involvement from Asuka and Ember and the like but I'm glad they got a little moment in the battle royal.  Ember was over huge,  I was pulling for her but Nia Jax has proved to be a good challenger to Ronda.  Their first match was solid. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie

I wanted an all-women show for a very long time, and I'm really satisfied with what I got. More please?

1 minute ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The production as a whole,  camera angles were different and with the lighting the only time they showed crowd shots were to show other wrestlers.  The focus was entirely on the ring and the performers.  

A Crown Jewel ad was in there and it must have appeared on the big screen because I heard some loud boos for it. 

It is strange because apparently the 1st Crown Jewel ad wasn't shown live according to some people.   Why they thought showing it the 2nd time would be better is beyond me.  I enjoyed the tweet of someone  who focused on the faces of Renee and Beth who weren't having any of that shit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyLaw said:

With all the comparisons between Becky and Austin, imagine the pop if they hotshotted the Horsewomen feud for Survivor Series with the MMA crew beating down Sasha, Bayley, and Charlotte only for Becky to make the save.

I'd like to see them get mauled by Bazler and them and then they have to go to ask smug Becky for assistance.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Why does everyone want to turn Becky?  She is so damn great at being mean ?

Yeah, Becky's heel turn was a masterstroke.

I also feel that with tonight's match, the Becky/Charlotte feud topped the Sasha/Charlotte as the best WWE women's feud.

• Like 2

I didn't say anything about the opener,  Mickie was great.  She was all over the place bumping around like crazy. Everyone else did what they had to do and the crowd was hot and stayed hot all night.  There weren't any ridiculous chants or anything either just respectful chanting that made sense and huge pops throughout the night.  

In NXT the women delivered and still deliver.  Every new match stipulation, they deliver.  Royal Rumble delivered. Elimination chamber delivered.  All-women's PPV delivered.

Yes,  there will be a women's WrestleMania main event and it'll be sometime soon.  Maybe New York and I'll be there and I'll be happy to see it.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Every match they ask her to do quite a bit more than the last match and every match she absolutely masters the amount they ask her to do. I mean, I know that's probably the plan whenever they bring in someone from "the outside" but how often are they actually up to it?

She's going to be fantastic for a long time.

I have a theory about that.  You have the "diva" competitors, then you have women wrestlers who worked on the indies and had all the training, but then you have someone like Ronda who's all "I used to get punched in the face for a living, you want me to try a cross body off the top?  Beats getting punched in the face for a living!"

The character work is up my alley too.  "?I'm going to fuck you up?OMG I'M SO HAPPY TO BE HERE YOU GUYS!!!"

Time to admit that Charlotte brings the best out of everyone she faces. Let the hate rain down on me.

Loved pretty much everything about this show. Io/Toni delivered in an awkward spot having to follow the hot battle royal. Kairi/Baszler was great too, I envision Pete Dunne & Shayna torturing poor fools limbs in a future mixed tag challenge.  

Whoever keeps green lighting Sasha doing stupid things she athletically isn't capable of doing needs firing. She's a solid all-rounder, she doesn't need to insist on pushing the boundaries on these big shows. 

• Like 2

I think my favorite thing about Evolution is how Nikki Cross was conspicuously front and center for its announcement on RAW, and yet was no where on the show, not even with the other NXT women in the crowd (at least that I saw).  It actually fits her character perfectly.

Solid show from top to bottom. The battle royal was my least favorite match (as expected lol) but even that was inoffensive. Pleasantly surprised that Ivory lasted as long as she did. 

Charlotte/Becky was insane and I dug Charlotte “rising from the grave”. I was sure she was going to win after that lol Wondering who the next challenger is now and whether they have any prayer of getting cheered.

Really liked Kairi/Shayna too. The two of them have good chemistry and I’m looking forward to the Three Horsewomen heeling it up in NXT.

The six ladies tag was another highlight and Ronda/Nikki was good as well although I held my breath everytime Ronda  threw Nikki, knowing her neck issues. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Now if they really want this to matter, then on Tuesday it should be very clear that Charlotte is done. Whether she accepts it or not, she's had her shots and after a last person standing match, it really is over. If they do a rematch just to kill a week of booking I will be so annoyed.

But they've actually set it up perfect for the next stage where Charlotte turns heel and blames the people who booed her even though she was the "good" gal. It would be incredibly effective and make tons of sense.

Opener was awesome, a lot of fun. Trish and Lita both looked pretty great with not showing much rust while Mickie held everything together very well. Minor screwup at the end was the only negative there but I still wish Alexa could've been in there. Thought the battle royal absolutely sucked with meaningless eliminations seconds in without some of them even doing a move feeling like a waste, the complete opposite of the women's rumble. Hoped Ember would at least get that moment and set up what would probably be a cool/intriguing/different title match for TV but I guess going back to Nia/Ronda again is the plan.

Io/Toni was very good but I was disappointed they didn't get more time and was the shortest of the night, seems they were kept to the same short format that all the tournament matches are when I hoped they'd go a bit more all out for the big final. 6 woman tag was a run of the mill RAW match, felt like it went a bit off the rails after Sasha's dive gone wrong.

Shayna/Kairi ended up really good. I wasn't too invested at the start but was pulled in with this one. Both looked great, was surprised to see Kairi dropping the title already but a real perfect way to debut Jessamyn and Marina... great stuff. Charlotte/Becky was awesome and the epic it was expected to be. Absolute war with wild spots and a proper blowoff to this rivalry. If Becky/Ronda happens at Survivor Series, that could be a hell of a match. Enjoyed the main event quite a bit. Always crazy how good Ronda gets so quick but she's proving to be an excellent seller. Would've liked Nikki to get one more near fall off her KO Forearm but good stuff overall and a definitive win for Ronda. Pretty good show. -Also thought the Lzzy Hale/Nita Strauss opening act was really cool, loved that.

37 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Why does everyone want to turn Becky?  She is so damn great at being mean ?

I remember when they turned her and everyone frowned... How things have changed in a matter of weeks.

Biggest pops in the history of the Coliseum (updated):

1)Becky Lynch

2)Shawn Bates penalty shot vs the Leafs in 2002

3) Clutterbuck ENG to seal game 6 vs the Caps (the last ever game at the pre renovation Coliseum)

4) Tonelli to Nystrom

5) Ken Morrow eliminates the rags in OT in 1994

It's par for the course in WWE, if you're so good at being a heel and the crowd is vehemently behind you in everything you do, you're turned face. Historically, it created their biggest ever star in Steve Austin. Recently, due to their complete ineptitude in booking faces, apathy follows, see Big Braun. 

I hope they ride Becky's momentum til the wheels fall off, don't change a thing.

25 minutes ago, Rick said:

Time to admit that Charlotte brings the best out of everyone she faces. Let the hate rain down on me.

Loved pretty much everything about this show. Io/Toni delivered in an awkward spot having to follow the hot battle royal. Kairi/Baszler was great too, I envision Pete Dunne & Shayna torturing poor fools limbs in a future mixed tag challenge.  

Whoever keeps green lighting Sasha doing stupid things she athletically isn't capable of doing needs firing. She's a solid all-rounder, she doesn't need to insist on pushing the boundaries on these big shows. 

Why should it bring hate? One thing that's really noticeable about Charlotte is that many of her best matches are her losses, with her matches vs Bayley on Raw last year and the 2016 Sasha FCA match as examples of that.  Also, her best matches this year have really been diverse in terms of style and storytelling, going from Ruby at Fastlane to Asuka at Mania to Becky at HIAC and tonight. (Both of the last two were clean losses, but they were entirely different matches in terms of how they were worked, going from technical to all-out hardcore tonight.)

• Like 2

The legends tag was the perfect opener with the crowd reactions and action. I'm again, glad Alicia was in this since she was able to bump big for all of Lita's offense. Trish looked great, and I really am disappointed now they didn't grant her and Mickie's wish for a singles match here.

The battle royal over delivered and turned out to be pretty fun with so many getting in moments. It was great to see the love for Ember build as the match went on. Even with her not winning it feels like this was a good moment for her and one I hope they take advantage of to some degree.

Io/Toni was the shortest match they've had since their original for the SWA belt and was still pretty damn good. I really hope they get a longer rematch down the line. For two unknowns going in they got a decent amount of the audience interested.

Sasha/Bayley/Nattie vs. Riott Squad was good and easily the best RS has looked. We really do need a women's tag titles after this.

Feels like Kairi/Shayna gets a little better with each big match which is impressive considering how well they started off. I dug the Horsewomen interference and can't wait to see things play out with that in NXT.

Charlotte/Becky was fantastic, probably the best of their matches and easily MOTN. Loved Charlotte rising from the grave and Becky's reaction to it. Will be interesting to see whats next for Becky.

Ronda/Nikki was pretty good and exceeded my expectations. Ronda is so ridiculously good in ways she really shouldn't be this early in, and the Bellas are good heels. Loved Brie's work on the outside. It was pleasantly surprising how much of the crowd were actually into the Bellas. Really looking forward to Ronda/Nia II.

This was probably the best main roster show this year. I enjoyed all of the matches and the results.

• Like 2

Perfect show and easily best WWE main roster show of the year.

-  Opener was fun and actually good that Bliss was out as she’s too valuable to be sacrificed to a nostalgia babyface team. Trish looked good.

- Loved the battle royale. Actually one of the better straight WWE battle royales. Could have done without Jax winning as Moon vs Rousey is interesting.

- Io vs Storm was short but awesome. Toni is such a star. Liked Cole’s shoutout to Tegan Nox and the ‘some people thought she was gonna the tournament.’ Indeed. Storm should really be on the main roster and not fucking off in NXTUK but it is what it is.

- Loved the Shayna title change and pairing her up with Shaffir and Duke will be great for NXT which has an abundance of plucky babyfaces they can terrorize. Shayna vs Rousey could be a really big-time match next year, especially if they keep doing Hogan-style friend stabbing in the back angles. The interference really did feel like your classic Horsemen-style help your leader win stuff and I liked that she was the only real heel to win tonight.

- Six-man was great. The Riott Squad is so good. Just a great little heel trio. Good control, sell their asses off and really never have a bad match. I think they could have a star in Riott as a counter-culture punk rock babyface but that’s not a culture WWE really gets. 

- LMS was very much WWE storytelling. It waa great and it was brutal as fuck but it’s also the exact match that I think like Edge vs Cena would have had in 2005 or something. Finish was fucking brutal, tho. Incidentally, I fucking despised the SNL curtain call at the end with Charlotte smiling it up with everyone. Becky is great but I wonder what’s next. SD is light on babyfaces.

- Main event was good. The Bellas are great heels. Rousey is just a star and with the Big Dog out it’s probably time to just have her main event everything. Ronda probably sold a smidge too much but the crowd stayed with her. Brutal offense and some wicked bumps by the Bellas. Was really expecting her lunatic mom to attack Bri in the match. I also like the fact that Rousey is a top babyface that still acts like a human and will makeout with her husband on camera. Everything about her feels real in all the ways that so many other babyfacea in this company fail at. I have no interest in another Nia match, tho. 

So, yeah, home run show. Pumped the women can continue this momentum with high profiles matches at WWE Crown....oh wait...

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

With all the comparisons between Becky and Austin, imagine the pop if they hotshotted the Horsewomen feud for Survivor Series with the MMA crew beating down Sasha, Bayley, and Charlotte only for Becky to make the save.

The Horsewomen invade SDL the last show before Mania.

Paige is in the ring addressing Becky Lynch, pleading... "I need the old Becky Lynch back!"

End of the night the MMA Horsewomen attack Charlotte. Bayley and Sasha jump the rail having been in the crowd. Other women come to help but are picked off 1 by 1.

Then the music hits... WOOOOOAAAAHHHHOOOOHHHHOOOOHHHHHOOOOHHHH

• Like 5