DVDVR Message Board

MOVIE COMMENT CATCH-ALL THREAD

jaedmc

Skyline comes across like somebody watched Cloverfield and said, hey, wouldn't it be great if someone took that idea and made a proper movie without all the found footage bullcrap (ie, there's an alien invasion but we only see it from the perspective of a few guys, and we see the armyu showing up but never saw then getting deployed or anything)? So it's OK... except they really needed to add a smart guy to figure things out and provide expositionary dialogue and that. And they killed people in the wrong order. But it's OK, sort of.

Britany Daniel was hot, as always, but it just seemed too much like a rehash of other films, including Battle Los Angeles.  Plus, the ending when

dude turns into one of the aliens to protect his preggo girlfriend

, only for the movie to end with a wack cliffhanger instead of showing the fight, kinda blew. 

Mars Attacks is very, very much a love it or hate it film.

It's terrible.  I love it.

I can't think of a movie I was so heavily into seeing and was so letdown when it was over.  Aside from Twister.  And THAT was the worst movie experience of my life.  Realizing I had spent my entire life in Oklahoma and THAT'S what people assumed our life was like (this past May notwithstanding.)

Mars Attacks was a great set-up and then the same joke, the same joke, the same joke.  Then you get the punchline (which was already ruined) and it's punchline, punchline, punchline.  I felt like I paid $7 for a 90-minute SNL sketch.  It didn't help that Tim Burton's previous film was Ed Wood which remains one of my favorite movies.

I went to Twister on my very first date.

My first date we saw "All Of Me" with Steve Martin. First time I touched a boob, too, so it holds a special place in my heart.

When I was a kid, I liked that movie a lot.  Being reminded of it now...isn't it about, like, super-rich people purchasing the bodies of their underlings and taking them over so they can live forever, casting the servants souls out...basically killing them?

It's pretty messed up.  It's like right there on Mitt Romney's Netflix queue...and by his Netflix queue, I mean the line of pre-loaded 35 mm projectors he has deposited in the wall of his viewing arcade.

I finally sat down and watched VHS all the way through.  It is really uneven and a bit overlong but there are some satisfying moments in there.

The guys from the Collective (Joe Swanberg, Ti West, et al) really hang close together.

Just watched The Way on Netflix.  Martin Sheen stars as a father whose son died on the first day of trying to walk the Camino de Santiago trail from France to Spain (a 500mi trek).  Sheen goes to France to pick up his remains and decides to walk the trail as his way of reconnecting with his son, with whom he did not have a happy departure.  Along the trail, he meets up with some other pilgrims and they complete the trip.  The goal of the movie was to be understated and it certainly succeeds.  That said, there's not much going on here.  Sheen's character doesn't really do any self-reflection or gain any real insight.  He's nearly 70 years old but experiences no health difficulties.  And the people he walks with aren't particularly interesting.  In the end, it's basically just 2 hours of nothing.  4/10.

Watched Trouble With The Curve with the wife. 2 hours of smoking hot Amy Adams is always good but the rest of the movie is kinda cliché and weak. It's OK but Clint just does his grumpy old man thing and Timberlake adds nothing. Decent enough but not great. Worth the five bucks I paid for the blu ray. 6/10.

Watching Fighting on Spike and the first time I saw this (Yes, sadly, I've seen it before) I was mesmerized by how terrible Channing Tatum is at speaking (Seriously, he must have gone to speech therapy) but somehow ignored how terrible Terrence Howard is in this, as well.  My brother said it sounds like he's had a stroke.  There are sections where the two of them speak to each other and you can barely understand a thing they're saying.

Watched Escape From New York today for the first time in many years. Something is bugging me. When Borgnine showed up in his cabbie uniform for the first time, I automatically had a vision of a computer screen version of the character, much like, say, Holly in Red Dwarf. Am I completely imagining that this appeared in some other movie or TV show? For some reason, A.I. is coming to mind. Was there a similar character?

Also, looking at Kurt Russell's IMDB... I would've thought his career would have taken a huge upswing after Death Proof, but since 2007 all he's done is a short directed by Kate Hudson, and a high school football movie, playing a coach. I guess he's not interested in acting these days? There is a rumour of him being in the next Fast & Furious movie though.

Dredd came out a year ago today. I liked the film for the story, the main performances, the music and the costumes particularly the Judges. I saw it on release at the cinema and bought it on DVD.

Goddamn 'Dredd'!

I picked it up from the library, watched and enjoyed it, and can't, for the life of me, find the damn copy!  Now I'm gonna have to replace it!  Argh!

Watched Hit and Run which is kind of a real lot of fun.  Real-life couple Dax Shepard and Kristen Bell play a couple and she has a job interview in LA and he plans to drive her, even though he's in the Witness Protection system.  Bradley Cooper is the wronged man from his past who decides to track him down, and Jason Bateman, Sean Hayes, David Koechner turn up in small roles and Tom Arnold damn near steals the film as the often-screwing-up US Marshal charged with protecting Shepard.  Also, apparently the movie cost only $2 million to make and half of that was spent on music credits (Jimi Hendrix, Peter Gabriel) and all the stunt-driving and cars come courtesy Shepard himself.  It's fairly funny, good stunts/chase scenes and Kristen Bell is hot, so it's definitely worth a watch.

Caught Monsters University at the second-run theatre.Blue Umbrella, the short before the movie was okay, but not as good as recent shorts like Paperman. MU itself is the worst Pixar movie I've seen. (Note, I haven't seen Cars or Cars 2)

What's weird is that I don't actually remember him from almost anything.  Like the only thing that comes to memory is OFFICE SPACE.

I did notice him in an episode of PSYCH.  I think that was the only time I said, "Hey, it's Tom from OFFICE SPACE!"

Dude played Ed Rooney in the t.v. series of FERRIS BEULLER!