DVDVR Message Board

[NOV 2016] WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 11/12/2016 at 10:58 PM, The Nature Boy said:

The concussion thing is what it is.

The sexual assault issue...eh, I can believe it.  Meltzer even admitted in the latest WON that a wrestler noted that his (Diva) girlfriend mentioned to him at the time how predatory some of those service men got around her..

And I can buy that if a woman was raped and complained about it, WWE would completely cover it up

For the sake of PR.

I know DTTW was speaking from a kayfabe perspective, but I've seen the whole "Ellsworth is taking a spot away from more deserving workers," and I think it's ridiculous.  Ellsworth isn't taking anyone's spot away.  They just happened upon a guy they like and found a unique role for him.  It's not like Triple H had to sit down with Joe and say, "you know, we were going to call you up, but Vince fell in love with this chinless jabroni, and now you're stuck down here forever."

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I know DTTW was speaking from a kayfabe perspective, but I've seen the whole "Ellsworth is taking a spot away from more deserving workers," and I think it's ridiculous.  Ellsworth isn't taking anyone's spot away.  They just happened upon a guy they like and found a unique role for him.  It's not like Triple H had to sit down with Joe and say, "you know, we were going to call you up, but Vince fell in love with this chinless jabroni, and now you're stuck down here forever."

It's more like...look at who this guy just jumped over. It's really something that only happens in wrestling. And really it should depress a lot of people. Hard work, dedication...nah just be a goofy guy at the right time to amuse the masters. 

Maybe Ryder could get a push again if he starts dressing up like the gooker backstage every week.

1 hour ago, DTTW said:

It's more like...look at who this guy just jumped over. It's really something that only happens in wrestling. And really it should depress a lot of people. Hard work, dedication...nah just be a goofy guy at the right time to amuse the masters. 

He's been an indy wrestler and promoter for a number of years, so he's paid his dues.  It's not like he Forrest Gumped his way into the gig.  

And ultimately, shouldn't we, as fans, be happy for him?  He's earning good money, getting a little nationwide shine he can live off of for the rest of his career, and not risking his brain turning to pudding taking bumps for a bingo hall hot dog and a handjob from a local ring rat.  How is that a bad thing?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DTTW said:

Maybe Ryder could get a push again if he starts dressing up like the gooker backstage every week.

Guys lose their spot all the time in every industry for reasons beyond hard work or dedication.  I mean, look at the show NewsRadio  two actors from the pilot were dumped for other actors and the show went on for 5 seasons.  So Greg Lee and Ella Joyce lost out on 5 years worth of paycheques and some celebrity as well as residuals from reruns (A&E re-ran that show two episodes a day for YEARS) for reasons as capricious as liking one actor more than another or connecting with audiences differently.

People being upset about the Ellsworth deal baffle me.  By all accounts he seems like a nice guy who toiled for years and got a break out of the blue.  To say that it's because he looks goofy does a disservice to the man who plays the character.  He's playing the character really well: not as a goofball but as a guy who knows he's outmatched but still has a belief in himself, not to mention he's got really solid timing, comedic and wrestling-wise (Seriously, he nails that superkick on Styles in their match perfectly to pop the crowd.  If he had whiffed on it, been slightly later or earlier, it would have flopped.).  This isn't like a guy walking in off the street, or a movie star getting a prime role, Ellsworth has been wrestling for 14 years, which means Samoa Joe only has 3 years on him.

• Like 1

I dunno, I kind of see his point. Maybe the hopeless jobber who got two fluke wins over AJ with the help of Ambrose should have been Samoa Joe. And then the Smackdown Live Survivor Seriess team mascot could be Nakamura, wearing a giant felt Nakamura mascot head. It's brilliant.

Ambrose showing Joe the exit and sending him packing on that one SD, only for Joe to turn around and beat Ambrose half to death and take his spot on tonight's show, could've worked.

Nakamura as a jobber means Zayn actually beats him with the Blue Thunder Bomb.

so i'm listening to Steve Austin's podcast with Del "Patriot" Wilkes from like a year ago. he's hyping up this Del Wilkes "Behind the Mask" dvd. it's making me want to watch it. has anybody seen it?

i've seen basically zero All Japan so all of the matches will be new to me.

On 11/17/2016 at 1:18 AM, Niners Fan in CT said:

where you sittin bro? I was wondering how much the tickets were going for this year not that I'm making the trip or anything.

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this.

The seats are facing the ring directly, but pretty high up, but it's a good view in the venue. I've sat up there for Orlando City games before and it's a decent view from there.

I was talking to a friend of mine today about how my taste in wrestling has changed over the years and how when I was younger I thought Japanese pro-wrestling was the greatest and how I could sit for hours watching the epic 30 minute series of matches between Kobashi, Kawada, Misawa and co. and now I can't and don't find them as entertaining as I used to.

Don't get me wrong, I know those matches are still great, but now I'd prefer watching other stuff such as an Arn Anderson squash match or something else from the US over those epic All Japan classics.

If you would've asked me 10 years ago who my top 5 wrestlers would've been I mentioned Benoit and a 4 other Japanese wrestlers.

Now I would say my top 5 would be Benoit, Arn, Windham, Hansen and Rude or something along that line.

I'm wondering, how has everyone elses taste in wrestling changed over the years?

59 minutes ago, Edwin said:

I'm wondering, how has everyone elses taste in wrestling changed over the years?

I'm way more tolerant of goofy gimmick wrestlers.  Years ago, I preferred wrestlers who were just wrestlers, not wrestling farmers or what have you.  Now, Breezango are one of my favorite acts going.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edwin said:

The idea of sitting an devoting 30 minutes-1 hour for a match has literally no appeal for me now.  But give me a handful of 8-10 minute matches and I'll watch those for 2-3 solid hours.  I'm actually bummed when the NJPW on AXS TV stuff is one big match that runs for the whole hour, no matter who's in the match (Nakamura, Styles, Ishii, Ricochet), but totally excited if they give me 3 matches of varying lengths even when it's guys like Bad Luck Fale.

• Like 1

I used to like cruiserweight six-mans where it was dive after dive after dive, It was different then.  Now even the heavyweights are doing these spots and I've always enjoyed bloody brawls and limb work, storytelling,  I grew up watching WWF but also NWA/WCW. That's what I prefer. I enjoy the methodical pace.

So when I watch most of these indy spot fests they just do nothing for me.  I loved the CWC but that's because it blended spots with selling and psychology. I'm not seeing that on the indy scene.

6 hours ago, twiztor said:

so i'm listening to Steve Austin's podcast with Del "Patriot" Wilkes from like a year ago. he's hyping up this Del Wilkes "Behind the Mask" dvd. it's making me want to watch it. has anybody seen it?

i've seen basically zero All Japan so all of the matches will be new to me.

For fuck's sake don't start watching Patriot matches if you are trying to get into All Japan man

Watching wrestling (for me at least) is an ever evolving taste. There's room for everything if it's done well, and sometimes you have to watch some really bad stuff to realize what you came in for in the first place. Go watch some of Rippa's bad match picks and see if you come back. It'll give you some perspective and brace you for what you don't really like. Kinda like athletics or something!

17 hours ago, caley said:

Guys lose their spot all the time in every industry for reasons beyond hard work or dedication.  I mean, look at the show NewsRadio  two actors from the pilot were dumped for other actors and the show went on for 5 seasons.  So Greg Lee and Ella Joyce lost out on 5 years worth of paycheques and some celebrity as well as residuals from reruns (A&E re-ran that show two episodes a day for YEARS) for reasons as capricious as liking one actor more than another or connecting with audiences differently.

People being upset about the Ellsworth deal baffle me.  By all accounts he seems like a nice guy who toiled for years and got a break out of the blue.  To say that it's because he looks goofy does a disservice to the man who plays the character.  He's playing the character really well: not as a goofball but as a guy who knows he's outmatched but still has a belief in himself, not to mention he's got really solid timing, comedic and wrestling-wise (Seriously, he nails that superkick on Styles in their match perfectly to pop the crowd.  If he had whiffed on it, been slightly later or earlier, it would have flopped.).  This isn't like a guy walking in off the street, or a movie star getting a prime role, Ellsworth has been wrestling for 14 years, which means Samoa Joe only has 3 years on him.

I think you're missing the larger picture. Ellesworth gets a contract because of 100% completely random chance of being right place, right time, right person amused by him. Those two actors didn't happen to just both be there on a Tuesday when the network execs walked by and said, that guy looks funny, put him on the show.

I'm not upset or begrudging of the man's sudden rise. My point was that pure luck and circumstance is why he got a job really. It wasn't his years of experience and hard work that got him a contract, it was just dumb luck. You can't work hard on that.

Elsewhere in the wrestling bubble.....

So the part-timer who beat the Undertaker lost to a guy who isn't going to around much if at all anymore. Anyone else remember when the booking was used to get people over and make stars?

Edit: Apparently goldie is sticking around