DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2C: CESARO vs. RUSEV

MM16: 2nd RDC - CESARO vs. RUSEV  

114 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I love both of these guys, this is going to be to choose.  Valid point for/against both.  Rusev is super talented and got chicken salad out of the worst chicken shit they could muster.  Super entertaining, and has generally fun matches.  He got severely hampered by losing at WM, and it wasn't pretty what he had to go through after that.  Say what you will, but he's been awesome in LON and almost made the group slightly worthwhile (too bad Sheamus and ADR had to muck it up)

Cesaro should be a bona fide star and it's mind-boggling how off the mark they've been.  He can have fantastic matches, looks like a billion bucks and is very popular.  Cena match(es) aside he had to go through a lot of dumb shit as well.  But he at least had the team with Tyson which was super fun.  Him being out for so long doesn't hurt his cause in my book.

Will need to come back to this, tough choice indeed.

If Cesaro didnt have a busted shoulder, he would probably be doing wacky stuff on UUDD. Didn't he do funny stuff on the Cole & JBL show? I think Matt is the only person who watched it, so he may need to corroborate.

Cesaro in a toss. I like Rusev, but dude is a victim of McMahon still thinking the Cold War is even relevant. Yeah, Russia is our geopolitical enemies,but come on dude. You are not winning points trying to make Bulgarian dude enemy of Raw because you have a fairly international roster to begin with.

I know it's not his fault, but it will be apart of his character as long as Vince is still part of the show.

Goc, you put a lot of emphasis on character work with Rusev. That's cool, because the guy is incredibly talented in that regard on top of being damn good in the ring. With that in mind, how can you be so high on Roman then? Generic match formula/structure aside, he's got the lamest character ever and it's not all on the booking. His delivery is the shits often enough.

Cesaro's in-ring work destroys Rusev's and I was of the thought Rusev had a top 5 year last MM. Having a few funny sketches (and the TV champion gimmick) don't make up the sizable gap in my mind.

I'm high on Roman because I think he's really good in the ring. It was easy for me to vote Roman over a guy whose best higlights are dives and jumping off balconies. I would vote Rusev over Reigns because Rusev has the awesome character stuff and I think they're not that far off in the ring.

I disagree with you on the idea that Cesaro's in-ring work destroys Rusev's. Rusev is very Cesaro-like in the fact that no matter who he has to wrestle he gets a good match out of them and I really can't remember a Rusev match where I thought his opponent looked better than him.

That's why I put an emphasis on character work in this match-up because Rusev is so far ahead of Cesaro in that department and I think they're not far off as far as match quality so the character work is kind of the tiebreaker.

If it's against a high-flyer, I would rather the opponent be Cesaro because he is the best base in the business.  If it's against anyone else I would rather it be Rusev.

They are closer in the ring than they are on the mic AND Cesaro doesn't have a character I can latch on to.

Rusev all day.

Rusev/Cena got worse each time out. Rusev/Ziggler had actively bad matches. Where are all the great Rusev matches from this year that put him above Cesaro?

Again, I really like Rusev but I feel like people are voting him based on a different year than the one we're voting on.

• Like 1

Such a faithless shitbum

Hahahahaha. But I agree with Charlie. I don't think Ruru had a great in-ring year. Lots of solid stuff, some really bad (fucking Dolph Ziggler) but nothing very memorable. I wasn't as big on the Cena/Cesaro matches as most, but the first one was really fun. The team with Tyson produced quite a few good matches, the Roman match on Raw was goodish if not overly formulaic and predictable, the Owens/Randeh Oohtun triple threat was damn good, and the feud with Kevin Owens produced at least a pair of good matches (though I think they have a much better match in them). A bit of a down year for Cesaro looking back on it, but I'd still take his body of work over Rusev's, angles included. 

Is it telling that between the two triple threats including Owens and Cesaro the one with Randy Orton was better than the one with Rusev? IIRC, the Orton match had a long finishing stretch of Cesaro and Owens doing wonderful stuff before Orton popped in and won with back to back RKOs (lol), but still... Randy Orton shouldn't be in a better match than Rusev with those two, but he was.

I remember seeing Rusev "debut" at the Rumble while still an NXT guy. My friends would not believe me when I said that it wouldn't be long before they dropped the Bulgarian focus and made him an Evil Russian straight out of the 80s.

Now, I don't know if anyone on the WWE payroll will be reading these threads, but I just want to say thanks Rusev for proving me right by taking that Evil Russian gimmick and riding with it. Yes, riding with it on that tank.

• Like 1

I've just voted having taken time to consider my decision. Went for Cesaro for his team with Tyson Kidd, the two house show matches of his I watched, the matches with John Cena on RAW and his hot tag sequence in his Hell in a Cell 2015 kickoff match. I have to mention Cesaro and Rusev with Kevin Owens had one of the best triple threat matches I've ever seen and one of 2015's top matches on the 13th of July RAW. Great match. Both Cesaro and Rusev deserve better in the WWE.