DVDVR Message Board

WWE CRUISERWEIGHT CLASSIC (NO SPOILERS)

ChesterCopperpot

I'm thinking Eva Marie accompanies Kendrick to the ring, helps him get a few victories, then whatever babyface beats him in the quarter or semi finals gets made, even if that person doesn't go on to win.

Final Four, I'm hoping for Cedric Alexander and Ciampa to both make it in. Also, Ciampa vs. Tajiri needs to happen.

Per Meltzer (for those who wanted a little more on the lesser known guys

The WWE announced the complete lineup for the Cruiserweight Classic tournament, with some expected names and some surprises.

The only major star not previously talked about is Gran Metalik, who is believed to be Mascara Dorada, which is a major coup considering he's a CMLL wrestler and with the CMLL/New Japan/ROH alliance, it becomes an interesting move on his part.

The biggest names involved include Kota Ibushi, rumored from the start, who has been taking it easy in Japan since his return after a serious neck injury; Tajiri, a former star in ECW and WWE, Brian Kendrick, Akira Tozawa and Zack Sabre Jr.

Originally La Sombra was to be the star of the tournament, but they've decided to keep him out of it and started promoting him before it started.

The list:

Kota Ibushi
Gran Metalik
Tajiri
Zack Sabre Jr.
Noam Dar
Cedric Alexander, who was expected once he left ROH recently
Da Mack - A Germany wrestler
Tony Nese - from Evolve, and announced this past week
Zumbi - A Mexican wrestler who had been working for Elite Lucha Libre  but had kind of disappeared and his name was known in Mexico is coming here
Clement Petout - a bodybuilder from France
Fabian Aichner - a bodybuilder from Italy
Harv Sihra - one of the Bollywood Boyz tag team from British Columbia and half of the GFW tag team champions
Gurv Sihra - the other half of the tag team and brother of Harv
Rich Swann - Who was announced even though he's been out of action with a shoulder injury but has apparently healed up
Brian Kendrick
Akira Tozawa - One of the top stars in the Dragon Gate promotion
Jack Gallagher - a U.K. wrestler
Johnny Gargano - a regular in NXT
Tommaso Ciampa - another regular in NXT
Ho Ho Lin - A small wrestler from Hong Kong
TJ Perkins - The former Manik from TNA who was recently cut by that promotion and works for Evolve
Anthony Bennett - A New Jersey independent wrestler
Drew Gulak - A top independent star
Tyson Dux - The veteran Canadian independent star
Lince Dorado - a masked Florida independent wrestler
Sean Maluta - the nephew of Afa Anoa'i, so related to a number of current WWE stars
Raul Mendoza - Known as Jinzo in Mexico from the DTU promotion
Kenneth Johnson - a  Detroit based independent wrestler
Alejandro Saez - A wrestler from Chile who is known as XL
Damien Slater -An Australian based independent wrestler
Jason Lee - A longtime wrestler out of OVW
Arya Daivari - The younger brother of Shawn Daivari, the former WWE star

I have no idea who 2/3 of these guys are, but I'm excited if only for Kendrik, Tajiri, Ibushi, & Tozawa. I hope all four make it at least into the second round.

8 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Hopefully Tajiri and Asuka can do more Human Resources skits.

Why do you want poor Tajiri to get smacked around more?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, offspring515 said:

I've seen Tyson Dux live many times, even got to call some of his matches.  He's really technically sound and is a terrific heel.  Really happy to see him in this.  

This. He's been the best and most consistent guy in Ontario for the last 10 years. Such a good wrestler, so happy for him.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

This. He's been the best and most consistent guy in Ontario for the last 10 years. Such a good wrestler, so happy for him.

Is this the same Tyson Dux who was "Textbook" 10+ years ago? I remember going to some RAW and SD shows in 2003 or so with my then girlfriend and he was always in the dark matches. She loved him and even made a Textbook sign on our third trip to a show in the hopes that he would be there, which he was.

9 hours ago, GodzillaPerez said:

Tyson Dux was also on a really funny episode of Kenny vs Spenny, where they try to see who can become the best wrestler. 

I'm kind of excited for this. It almost feels like the Crockett Cup or the NWA Tag Title Tournament from 92. I'm really curious about the format, though. I foresee a bunch of 3-5 minute matches until I hear otherwise.

According to an interview Mascara Dorada did in Mexico,  he asked Paco for permission and was told it was up to him. But he is only doing the tournament for WWE. He was (AFAIK) still on tonights arena mexico show.

23 hours ago, JonnyLaw said:

Off topic, but while I love the Vaudes, I really hate Gotch's attire/look. 

Really?  I'm kinda neutral on Gotch overall, but I feel like his circus strongman look is great for the gimmick.