DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

Karate Fighters was the best sponsor of the WWF in the 1990s, c'mon guys. Jerry Lawler & Sunny fighting each other in the finals of a tournament with rock'n sock'em ninjas on PPV? Attitude Era at its best.

• Like 1

Been reading Daniel Bryan's book lately and he's a really frustrating guy to read about.  He talks about Benoit and how he had CTE and it was a big wake-up call for guys like him that emulated Benoit, then brags about Morishima hitting him so hard he detached his retina and worked a match with the injury because he felt he owed it to the fans.  Then talks about how him and McGuinness were both diagnosed with concussions and how McGuinness was smart and took the night off while he was stupid and didn't.  And how he's learned to tone it down over time, and you see him in 2015 wrestling and doing the same dives/headbutts and getting dropped on his head and go "Obviously you didn't learn to tone anything down."

He brags a bit about people referring to him as a "starving artist" of pro wrestling and he reminds me a lot of Bret Hart in that regard in that he's so blinded  by the art of wrestling that he'll forsake his own well-being because wrestling needs him.

The book's a little exasperating in that regard.  I mean, at least Mick Foley took time off when he was diagnosed with a concussion.

The WWE has 5 live shows today.

You would have thought that they could have somehow turned that into a Network special but I guess they can only think out of their box so far.

On the topic of Daniel Bryan, just rewatched the 2014 and 2015 rumbles. Maybe I am paranoid, but it seems to me like some post production has gone on on the audio. Remember the crowd being a lot louder in support of Bryan and booing Batista/Reigns a lot louder too. The reaction is still there, just not as loud as I remember. Especially when Rey came out at number 30. So much wrong with those 2 rumbles, can only hope 2016 will be an improvement.

Definitely paranoid. That whole "DUNN IS EDITING THE AUDIO" stuff was one of the more embarrassing periods for wrasslin message board things over the past few years.  That and the occupy Raw shit where people were trying to mass tweet and print out flyers on what to chant and when at each Raw to make the McMahons the most upset.

The WWE has 5 live shows today.

You would have thought that they could have somehow turned that into a Network special but I guess they can only think out of their box so far.

This just makes me salty that Joe wasn't at the Milwaukee show.

Definitely paranoid. That whole "DUNN IS EDITING THE AUDIO" stuff was one of the more embarrassing periods for wrasslin message board things over the past few years. That and the occupy Raw shit where people were trying to mass tweet and print out flyers on what to chant and when at each Raw to make the McMahons the most upset.

It's not unheard of that they would edit audio in post for a Royal rumble. '92 ring any bells?

Chex Mix is good.

They really screwed with the cheddar flavor mix years ago to where I don't like it anymore.

Always been a fan of the spicier flavors, especially the jalapeno cheddar kind.  Peanut-lover and chipotle are also legit.  Sad day when my local grocery store stopped carrying the wide variety.

They didn't at the live show in 1992. Nor did they do anything with the audio from 2014/2015, as people watched it immediately after it was posted to the Network and they were the same. What is the point of editing the audio 1-2 years later? And the 1992 Rumble on the Network is the unedited version.

It was all over people convincing themselves Bryan was hotter than ever when audiences weren't as hot for him after he came back from injury, or would cheer people they didn't like more than they thought the crowd should. Echo chamber stuff that got so loud that people were literally convincing themselves of things that weren't even happening.  It was getting to the point where crowds going along with Uso or Ryback chants were clearly, obviously piped in chants because they're poopy and all crowds hate them.

Wasnt it proven they changed audio after the fact for stuff involving Phil Brooks?

No. 

The only time audio is messed with is on Smackdown and once in a blue moon, NXT. They don't even bother for Superstars/Main Event.

Wasnt it proven they changed audio after the fact for stuff involving Phil Brooks?

So, a few months ago I watched Punk vs Cena from Money in the Bank and was kinda live blogging it on here because it was so fucking bizarre. Normally I would just watched the version of it I had saved on my laptop, but I switched laptops and figured I would just watch the WWE Network version. There were definitely audio changes, from little things like turning down the mic'd crowd volume, to bigger things, like mixing in Cena chants or boos for Punk. I watched that match again about a week or two ago and it was closer to the original feed. Some changes stuck, like mixing down the Punk chants throughout the show, but as for the match itself, it seems closer to normal, except for dips in the volume at times.

To me though, nothing touches what was done to the Goldberg vs Brock match on the WM20 DVD. I watched that and thought, "what universe did this happen in?" It was so laughably obvious just how much they tried to present that match as something the crowd didn't shit all over on the DVD. I haven't watched it on the Network, so I'm not sure if it's the same as the DVD or closer to the original broadcast.

Here's an idea for the WWE Network that is original content: Bring back Prime Time wrestling.

Make it one or two hours, probably one, have it hosted by two or three guys in the studio, and use the old Prime Time format of running commentary over recorded live events. If they're going to run this many shows at a time, you may as well record some of that to air as single matches on the WWE Network. I don't think they should do the skits that Heenan and Monsoon would do, but it would at least be something original to watch.

• Like 3

What I meant by that was in 2014/15 at a lot of places, people were suggesting they were doing it live on the fly on Raw every week to bury Bryan. Because obviously WWE hates Daniel Bryan so so so much that they had him beat John Cena and Evolution clean by himself. Those people were crazy folks.

• Like 2

Chex Mix is good.

They really screwed with the cheddar flavor mix years ago to where I don't like it anymore.

Always been a fan of the spicier flavors, especially the jalapeno cheddar kind.  Peanut-lover and chipotle are also legit.  Sad day when my local grocery store stopped carrying the wide variety.

Over Christmas, I had some sweet and salty mix with Honey Nut Chex pieces that was quality.

Chex Mix is good.

Over Christmas, I had some sweet and salty mix with Honey Nut Chex pieces that was quality.

Honey Chex Mix is the greatest invention. I'll pound down a whole bag in one sitting. The vanilla swirl cookies.....

The bold party flavor is also outstanding. Chocolate ones are gross, though.

RUpHHBa.png?1   UTvMUkI.png?1  5EVER

If WWE had that mentality toward the latter half of the year (when business is down anyways), then it could potentially curb a lot of injuries going into the Mania season. I am all for Lame Duck champions, etc. post SummerSlam. R-Truth having a 3 month title reign would have been more fun then Sheamus holding the gold and that would allow people like Cena, Reigns, etc. to take it easy (maybe wrestling 3 times a month instead of ten) and allow for the top guys to do more promo work to build to the PPV matches. An approach like that will solve several things:

1. The product being stale.

2. Assist in curbing injuries to top stars by reducing their schedules.

3. Allow WWE to test the drawing point of its entire roster during a period where historically ratings, etc. go down anyway.

I know its not going to happen, but a man can dream.

• Like 4