DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

This is only tangentially related, but I wonder how the house shows, schedules, appearances, etc. will change (if at all) when HHH and Stephanie take over for Vince when he dies. On the one hand, HHH was active for many years and understands the toll that the grind can take on your body and mental health and everything. But on the other, I could see him taking the old school attitude of it simply being part of the job description.

So has that been the plan all along? Since the WWE can't seem to create stars, they 50-50 book themselves into 200 midcarders so they can do 4 house shows a day full of people that the people who go to house shows have heard of, but that's it?

"We need to get 200 people over just to the point where people recognize their entrance music. Then we're golden."

• Like 1

Like how much of a bummer it is that Mark Henry is going to retire without ever having a run as a gaijin monster in Japan?

I am more irritated because someone booked the perfect sendoff for Henry in that he wins the Andre Royal and retires

Instead you know they will just have Kane win it because... reasons

Like the bold flavor Chex Mix.  Honey is good, but I guess I like salty more than sweet when it comes to Chex Mix.

Semi-on-topic:  Don't see why they wouldn't have Henry win the Andre battle royal as a send-off.  The battle royal hasn't meant much in the long term, so might as well, right?

Maybe Rumble Spoilers but probably not but tagged anyway

AJ dropped to RPW title to Sabre Jr tonight and afterwards said "he doesnt know what future holds" which crowd responded to with chants of 'ROYAL RUMBLE'

His response was "if theres a spot in the Royal Rumble, im gonna kick some ass"

Like the bold flavor Chex Mix. Honey is good, but I guess I like salty more than sweet when it comes to Chex Mix.

Semi-on-topic: Don't see why they wouldn't have Henry win the Andre battle royal as a send-off. The battle royal hasn't meant much in the long term, so might as well, right?

They've made it meaningful in the build to Mania and in the moment. So there's that. It's like winning the Aussie Open in tennis. Once it's over no one remembers.

Since it said the WWF appealed, I looked to see if he ever got any money. According to an Apter column in a PWI issue from 1996, the insurance company kept it tied up in courts for a while until Austin settled for $10M. Apparently Bruno Sammartino testified for the plaintiff, Gorilla Monsoon and Killer Kowalski testified for the defense, and they brought in some mats and a young indy wrestler (that happened to be Dean Malenko) to take the move from Jannetty to show it was safe when done properly.

Scott Hall was asked about Sting’s tenure with the WWE, and he expressed disappointment that Sting never found a comfort zone.

“I was there and obviously involved in his match at WrestleMania last year,” said Hall. “We’re rehearsing the match in Cali last year at Levi Stadium, and it’s the Kliq and the New Age Outlaws out there, and we all know each other. And then there’s Sting, who doesn’t know anybody. He’s an outsider. I just think he never felt comfortable there. Being hurt was answered prayer for him–just let it end."

"You need to remember that Vince is never going to go with something he didn’t create. But we didn’t get anything done at the rehearsal the night before, so WrestleMania day, there were tents in the parking lot set up with rings for rehearsal. So we’re all in there again, and I’m next to Hulk on the ring apron and Triple H is going over the match and then he goes, ‘OK, he’ll break the sledgehammer, then I’ll hit him with the sledgehammer, and cover him, 1-2-3.’ I looked at Hulk, and Hulk looked at me, and I was thinking, ‘Sting, what kind of lawyer do you have, bro? You’re coming in the door doing a job? You weren’t even guaranteed to go over?’ That’s Vince just reminding you who won, even if he’s going to make money the other way.”

-Scott Hall from Sport Illustrated Extra Mustard

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2016/01/13/scott-hall-brock-lesnar-sting-wwe-new-japan

• Like 3

I was just thinking about this trying to figure it out while replying to another post.

Who would everybody consider the current #1 heel of WWE? And I mean somebody who is the current top heel who will actually fight in matches, not Stephanie, who obviously is who the show is built around as the top heel. But that's another discussion/problem that I'm not talking about right now.

Would Brock count, even though he's only on a show every 4 months and gets cheers? Is it Kevin Owens? Sheamus? Seems like they're trying to build the League of Nations as a top heel stable, but does anybody take them seriously?

And on the flip side, what about faces? I'd say the face side is obviously Reigns #1 and Ambrose #2, but after that? Ziggler maybe? Neville? Usos? Anybody feel like making a kayfabe ranking system plotting out the face and heel sides of the roster?

Maybe Rumble Spoilers but probably not but tagged anyway

AJ dropped to RPW title to Sabre Jr tonight and afterwards said "he doesnt know what future holds" which crowd responded to with chants of 'ROYAL RUMBLE'

His response was "if theres a spot in the Royal Rumble, im gonna kick some ass"

Here's a video of that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lK8THFknsA

• Like 1

I was just thinking about this trying to figure it out while replying to another post.

Who would everybody consider the current #1 heel of WWE? And I mean somebody who is the current top heel who will actually fight in matches, not Stephanie, who obviously is who the show is built around as the top heel. But that's another discussion/problem that I'm not talking about right now.

Would Brock count, even though he's only on a show every 4 months and gets cheers? Is it Kevin Owens? Sheamus? Seems like they're trying to build the League of Nations as a top heel stable, but does anybody take them seriously?

And on the flip side, what about faces? I'd say the face side is obviously Reigns #1 and Ambrose #2, but after that? Ziggler maybe? Neville? Usos? Anybody feel like making a kayfabe ranking system plotting out the face and heel sides of the roster?

Brock is a neutral. Sheamus is the top heel though if you include getting actual reactions then Owens or New Day would be. Owens or New Day would be arguably #2 or #3 depending on how you feel about Bray.

Ziggler is probably the #3 face which is just depressing.

Brock is the biggest face in the company.