DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

At the very least, everyone wrestling now should be forced to watch Tully/Magnum before they have a shitty cage match where the face tries to escape 2 minutes in and it is worked as a normal match but with a cage filter.

God, that reminds me of Bubba returning in the Rumble and just grabbing the closest black guy near him to fill in for D-Von. 

Right, I guess we're ignoring that these things are planned out and R-Truth's catchphrase happens to be "What's Up?", just like the name of the move. But, yeah, grabbed the closest black guy, sure. If Zack Ryder's catchphrase was that, and he was in the ring when Bubba was... you'd have Bubba grabbing the nearest white geek from Long Island. I've seen so many people take that as a race thing when it obviously wasn't.  :rolleyes:

I just think the idea of a "long term plan" in today's WWE means something a lot different than it did years ago. Outside of Roman's big push and the year long Rock/Cena "build" I'm struggling to come up with any recent examples of long term planning.

The WWE had a clear long-term plan to have Batista win the title at Mania XXX, get destroyed by Lesnar at SummerSlam to make Lesnar the ultimate monster heel, and then have Roman Reigns beat him at Wrestlemania Play Button.

This is why they don't do long-term plans anymore.

Seems like they should have stuck to that.

Why? It wouldn't have gotten Reigns over any better, and people would have just shat all over XXX, with the streak ending being followed with 75,000 people shitting all over Bootista's big triumph like it was a Royal Rumble match.

Well we don't really know about Reigns. There were a lot of moving parts to his Rumble win falling apart. If Bryan did not win the title, he likely would not have been rushed back as fast as he was. Bryan was the thing that pushed a lot of those fans over the top. After that Rumble a lot of the lemmings took it as the hip thing to boo him. 

Bryan not winning also would not have set a precedent that the shows can be high jacked by bitching. Though I never believed it was unplanned. 

I just think the idea of a "long term plan" in today's WWE means something a lot different than it did years ago. Outside of Roman's big push and the year long Rock/Cena "build" I'm struggling to come up with any recent examples of long term planning.

The WWE had a clear long-term plan to have Batista win the title at Mania XXX, get destroyed by Lesnar at SummerSlam to make Lesnar the ultimate monster heel, and then have Roman Reigns beat him at Wrestlemania Play Button.

Why? It wouldn't have gotten Reigns over any better, and people would have just shat all over XXX, with the streak ending being followed with 75,000 people shitting all over Bootista's big triumph like it was a Royal Rumble match.

Well we don't really know about Reigns. There were a lot of moving parts to his Rumble win falling apart. If Bryan did not win the title, he likely would not have been rushed back as fast as he was. Bryan was the thing that pushed a lot of those fans over the top. After that Rumble a lot of the lemmings took it as the hip thing to boo him. 

Bryan not winning also would not have set a precedent that the shows can be high jacked by bitching. Though I never believed it was unplanned. 

Not capitalizing on Bryan's popularity and making him champion would have been without a shadow of a doubt the absolute dumbest decision that WWE could have made at the time. In fact, I'm not sure if the human mind can comprehend the level of stupidity that that would've taken. As over as Bryan was, you have to capitalize. 

WWE had no way of knowing that his neck was being held together by rubber bands and paper clips. Knowing what they knew at the time, they made the right call. 

Somewhere between Slim Jims and Stacker2.

Also, Vic, are you a McMahon? Because "if we hadn't put the spotlight on the guy the fans were demanding, we might not have had so much trouble pushing the guy we wanted to push all along" is the most WWE-ish logic I've ever heard.

• Like 1

Somewhere between Slim Jims and Stacker2.

Also, Vic, are you a McMahon? Because "if we hadn't put the spotlight on the guy the fans were demanding, we might not have had so much trouble pushing the guy we wanted to push all along" is the most WWE-ish logic I've ever heard.

No because I assume I would be eating better. Bryan flaming out like he did sucked for everyone. Because now they have a legitimate justification to not push guys.

I don't really think they cared last year. I think they were booing because they could.

Not capitalizing on Bryan's popularity and making him champion would have been without a shadow of a doubt the absolute dumbest decision that WWE could have made at the time. In fact, I'm not sure if the human mind can comprehend the level of stupidity that that would've taken. As over as Bryan was, you have to capitalize. 

WWE had no way of knowing that his neck was being held together by rubber bands and paper clips. Knowing what they knew at the time, they made the right call. 

I think looking at the style Bryan worked, it would be a safe guess not to trust him. 

I also think they did capitalize on Bryan even without WM 30. He was pushed as number one/two face in the company for seven months. 

This is all in hindsight. At the time it was a reasonable gamble, He just had to make it to Summerslam.

Anyone want to discuss anything else besides the same tired talking points we've been going on about for the past six months? Like how much of a bummer it is that Mark Henry is going to retire without ever having a run as a gaijin monster in Japan?

Anyone want to discuss anything else besides the same tired talking points we've been going on about for the past six months? Like how much of a bummer it is that Mark Henry is going to retire without ever having a run as a gaijin monster in Japan?

I'm watching the Raw with Jesse Ventura in 1999 and it is surreal him doing commentary with JR and Lawler. I never realized this but Jesse never called an Undertaker match until then. Which seems wrong, because Taker feels like the last big star of the WWF boom.