DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

They were, however, doomed to have at least issues considering there was no one for either of them to work with. Bring in a giant lucha star and have him in matches with...the same 3 dudes over and over and over because none of the bigger guys knew how to work lucha style. And bringing in Kong at a time when they had no women wrestlers that could even run the ropes. Someone can't be a star on their own. They have to have people to work with. Kong and Mistico were not given that opportunity. 

Yeah, but no one told Kong to fake a child birth either.  

• Like 1

If it is true that she lost the child and carried on afterward as if she didn't, all I can do is give her my sympathy as I can't imagine how I would react in that situation. That weird situation was just a real shame for Kong and HHH.

They were, however, doomed to have at least issues considering there was no one for either of them to work with. Bring in a giant lucha star and have him in matches with...the same 3 dudes over and over and over because none of the bigger guys knew how to work lucha style. And bringing in Kong at a time when they had no women wrestlers that could even run the ropes. Someone can't be a star on their own. They have to have people to work with. Kong and Mistico were not given that opportunity. 

So everyone's suppose to change their style to accommodate Mistico?

That's kind of...harsh. I'm sure she was going through some shit after her miscarriage. 

Mistico also said he "didn't like" English, and therefore never bothered to try and learn it.

I mean, if they had ended up signing Averno, did he think they would just work each other forever?

Well, no, but he needed more people who could bridge the gap so he could get used to the style and be able to work with other guys besides Tyson/Hunnico/Chavo over and over. You can't expect to hire a guy for his style and then have him wrestle people who don't work that style and expect it to work itself out in a hurry. It took Hideo Itami 8 months just to START getting acclimated, and that was while actually working in the PC.

Well, no, but he needed more people who could bridge the gap so he could get used to the style and be able to work with other guys besides Tyson/Hunnico/Chavo over and over. You can't expect to hire a guy for his style and then have him wrestle people who don't work that style and expect it to work itself out in a hurry. It took Hideo Itami 8 months just to START getting acclimated, and that was while actually working in the PC.

Blame Mistico then, he didn't want to go to developmental and learn the style.

I just think the idea of a "long term plan" in today's WWE means something a lot different than it did years ago. Outside of Roman's big push and the year long Rock/Cena "build" I'm struggling to come up with any recent examples of long term planning.

The WWE had a clear long-term plan to have Batista win the title at Mania XXX, get destroyed by Lesnar at SummerSlam to make Lesnar the ultimate monster heel, and then have Roman Reigns beat him at Wrestlemania Play Button.

This is why they don't do long-term plans anymore.

Seems like they should have stuck to that.

Why? It wouldn't have gotten Reigns over any better, and people would have just shat all over XXX, with the streak ending being followed with 75,000 people shitting all over Bootista's big triumph like it was a Royal Rumble match.

Postpartum depression was likely the culprit.  Women don't fake childbirth under normal circumstances.  Something was clearly wrong.

I just think the idea of a "long term plan" in today's WWE means something a lot different than it did years ago. Outside of Roman's big push and the year long Rock/Cena "build" I'm struggling to come up with any recent examples of long term planning.

The WWE had a clear long-term plan to have Batista win the title at Mania XXX, get destroyed by Lesnar at SummerSlam to make Lesnar the ultimate monster heel, and then have Roman Reigns beat him at Wrestlemania Play Button.

This is why they don't do long-term plans anymore.

Seems like they should have stuck to that.

Why? It wouldn't have gotten Reigns over any better, and people would have just shat all over XXX, with the streak ending being followed with 75,000 people shitting all over Bootista's big triumph like it was a Royal Rumble match.

Seeing how the alternative was a disaster, it was the better path. Brock destroying Batista would have been more shocking and gotten him more over. Reigns would not have faced the opposition he did in the 2015 Rumble. Might even be a better for Bryan since he would not feel pressure to return quickly. 

At worst it is a lateral movement.

Triple H is the GM of nxt. So like any other sport, he will get credit for signings that work and he will receive blame for the ones that don't (though in reality, he's never getting fired so the blame is only criticism on the net)

But really it's the coaches also and then creative. Hunter has put excellent coaches in place and in nxt he has ward writing the shows. We can credit that to him also but it's difficult to claim failures or success once these guys make the main roster. How much input does hunter have over their characters and booking once they are out of nxt?

Kong miscarried and she has been very frank about how it impacted her mental state. The door was open to her by all accounts but she wasn't ready to commit to that kind of schedule so soon after dealing with her recovery. To my recollection the parting was amicable. She wasn't a "Bust" per se. She was willing to work when she came in, just timing for everything derailed her push. She might be the best "What could have been" example of a star for the women's division before the current crop of NXT girls came along

James

Seeing how the alternative was a disaster, it was the better path. Brock destroying Batista would have been more shocking and gotten him more over. Reigns would not have faced the opposition he did in the 2015 Rumble. Might even be a better for Bryan since he would not feel pressure to return quickly.

At worst it is a lateral movement.

Brock destroying Cena was unarguably > than destroying Batista would have been, not just in terms of the shock factor of destroying John Cena instead of the part-timer on his way out, but also because where Cena remains popular with a big chunk of the audience, Batista didn't really get any of the crowd on-side, so Brock would have been a huge babyface. The end result would be Brock would end up just as much preferred by the crowd at 31 as he was, but you wouldn't have had that WMXXX bump, which remember was right when the Network was debuting.

At best it is a lateral movement. At worst it's chasing fans away at the very moment it needed to be giving them a reason to stick around.

• Like 1

The plans changing made Brock significantly more over and a draw. Roman got an extra year to cook and improved in the ring significantly. WM30 ended up being an awesome show. The change of plans worked out for the best for like...everyone involved. Bryan and his fans got WM30, Batista got to make more movies, Roman got to get better, Brock turned into the super final boss face, Rollins got his (shitty) title reign. Plus Shao Kahn and Terminator HHH.

Because the last thread got locked, I never got to do my list of "people I'd rather see in the Rumble than RVD".

-Carlito

-Masters

-Elijah Burke

-Christian

-Vladimir Kozlov

-Mil Mascaras

-Drew Carey

-Khali

-Shane McMahon

-Vince McMahon

-Stephanie McMahon

-Mr. Anderson