DVDVR Message Board

JAN 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... Last Try

RIPPA

I'm really not sure how TNA survived on that $10 a week model. I ordered one with my buddies for an Ultimate X match, because this was pre-youtube so we couldn't really see what it was all about any other way. I didn't watch TNA again until they were on cable.

We ordered the first one. Then i think not another one until Jarrett vs Raven title match.

I was pissed when Raven lost. The fans seemed pissed too as they started throwing trash in the ring.

Say what you will, but NWA-TNA was my intro to indy guys like AJ Styles, Low-Ki, Paul London, Chris Sabin and CM Punk which was my intro to the US indys.

Good times, good times...

I'm really not sure how TNA survived on that $10 a week model. 

They didn't. That's why they sold to the Carter family... there was something about a guy in the office who's job it was to report on PPV buys, and he kept lying and telling them they were selling a lot more than they were, so they thought they were making a profit instead of a huge loss... which somehow kept them alive longer than it should have. But weekly PPV was a doomed concept that failed completely.

• Like 2

They didn't. That's why they sold to the Carter family... there was something about a guy in the office who's job it was to report on PPV buys, and he kept lying and telling them they were selling a lot more than they were, so they thought they were making a profit instead of a huge loss... which somehow kept them alive longer than it should have. But weekly PPV was a doomed concept that failed completely.

It amazes me that anyone thought it was a good idea. They had a syndication deal with Xplosion. Was it that difficult to just use that as the A-show? 

That sounds very... TNA-ish.

I remember buying a vhs with ppvs 4, 5, and 6 on them and thinking that there was some decent stuff intermixed in there, but as a whole it was like watching WCW combined with what ROH and other indies were doing at the time to create something less good than either.  A couple years back I wound up getting cable for free for a while and would occasionally put it on as background noise on Thursday nights.  It didn't seem actively bad but there was nothing in the least bit compelling on there.  The whole product reminded me what would have become of WCW if they'd kept going, only with ECW on TNN's budget and production values.

The weird thing is early TNA actually has better production values than TNA from like....2010 on. For the most part, it looked on part with the last couple of years of WCW while in the Asylum. Everything since the Hogan/Bischoff era has looked so cheap and flimsy. Not that the Impact Zone looked good before that. Since going on the road, their set up has been "Let's just make everything blue and dark".

The Tough Enough winner, that Yeti guy, apparently tweeted #SocialJobbers. Kevin Owens and Stardust are tearing him apart.

12510521_166611387040590_58709132045841812507571_166612947040434_621714513571535

@fightowensfight: Let him LOL. People like him fizzle out by themselves pretty quick anyway.

@fightowensfight: Look at the veteran here with the big fancy insider terms!

@fightowensfight: I blocked him. Felt great.

Me and Yeti must be the only ones who see #SO as the new J.O.B. Squad? Granted, I like #SO and I think some good stuff can be done with them, but at the same time- let's call a spade a spade. Adam Rose's entrance was over,Axel has never been over outside of the brief AxelMania run, Bo was over in NXT and for a while in WWE until WWE threw another bucket of ice water on him, Slater has been amusing and gets laughs here-and-there, but he has never been over. Hopefully these guys can make something work like New Day was able to get something going. #SO has a lot of potential and hopefully they get a real chance.