DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I hope Aerostar didn't break his tailbone on the slip in the first match.

The trios match was easily the worst of the first round matches. The DoD still suck and the Fenix/Evans/Black team didn't act the chemistry issues nearly as well as the Mack/Moth/Mariposa and Cage/Mundo/Taya teams. At least it gets Jack Evans in giant showcase clusterfuck match.

The B-movie line readings by Mundo cracked me up. "Cage... In a cage." *nods*

It was nice of Siniestre de la Muerte to finally use his powers to kill his teammates instead of helping them win matches. Catrina should still kill him for slacking this whole time.

The main event was alright. Pretty much the setup match I expected where they didn't show too much until the big non-finish. I'm sure they have a better one in them down the line. The best part was the vastly different reactions of Catrina and Dario to being threatened.

The "missing" posters in the police station were the highlight of the show. Wonder if they found Bael's body or if they're just taking Reyes' word that he was eaten by a monster.

So the one Disciple can rip out fucking beating hearts, and they all had the ability to materialize from thin air.  How did they ever lose matches?!?!  I thought the Aerostar botch actually added to the match in a weird way.  Mainly because they didn't just set the spot up again and retry it.  They just moved on.  I loved the shit out of Mil/Matanza.  Love that Muertes is the only one who can hurt him.

Going to watch early 90s B-movie "Snake Eater" since I'm in a Lorenzo Lamas mood.

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

What I'm confused about is you guys saying Lamas is the mayor. That guy at the end wasn't the mayor, and if that was Lamas then damn he looks different. 

That was Lorenzo Lamas playing Councilman Delgado at the end of the episode. (Confirmed by Eric Van Wagenen's Twitter.) 

Who his employer is remains a mystery. I'm still holding out for a crossover and want to see Gustavo Fring and Dario Cueto face-to-face 

Aero Star is a victim of his own creativity at times. In this match with Drago he did the second rope outside-in springboard *3* times including once into that amazing frontcracker. Difficulty level on that is a 9.9999999 out of 10. I once watched a ring full of the best wrestlers in the world try to mimic what Aero Star was doing with the ropes and one by one they all failed. So I'll give him a pass when he tries a quadruple springboard and slips. :) He was literally gonna bounce off every rope on one side of the ring and jump onto the opposite ones for a somersault dive. Would have been incredible!

• Like 1

I could have sworn Aerostar did something close to that last season and it blew my mind.  I'm very forgiving of that botch, and Matt/Vampiro did their best to make it somehow work.  Also liked Drago showing probably legit concern but it made sense because they're friends and don't necessarily want to destroy each other.  Calls of him maybe holding back a little added to the overall story.

Well, 2 out of 3 Disciples of Death are gone, I guess I should be happy I got 66% of what I wanted.  My daughter was pretty freaked out by the heart-grabbing sequence which was surprisingly graphic for the show, but by the morning I was ripping out her heart as part of our daily lucha routine.  

I hated the cliff-hanger-y ending of the main event, I was fully on-board with the idea of an unsatisfying ending to the bout given its importance to the promotion but I wanted AN ACTUAL ENDING.  This reminded me too much of the old, "Fans we're out of time" cop-out of territories past.  

• Like 2

I haven't really been digging the show since Aztec Warfare. I'm really not into Matanza at all and the trios tournament hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire. LU more than any company deserves a "wait and see" attitude so I'm not passing judgement yet, but I haven't been having as much fun with the past few weeks.

15 hours ago, NickMD said:

I could have sworn Aerostar did something close to that last season and it blew my mind. 

Yep! Last year he did the triple springboard - from the 2nd rope to top rope to opposite top rope. Lost my mind when I saw it!

On twitter today he actually spoiled that he perfected the quadruple springboard he was trying in this match by the time LU season 3 rolls around but who knows if it was a dark match or TV. Hoping the latter!

• Like 1

As soon as I saw those two monster motherfuckers brawling up there the first thing that came to mind was Taz/Bigelow. The way the match was going by the climax I expected both behemoths would come out unscathed plus there's this whole matter of Pentagon Jr., having to get his receipt and that receipt won't be worth jackshit if Matanza has already proven to be a mere mortal before then.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

...and sure enough you got to see two guys fall through something

Well, there was the intrigue of who would be the aggressor in initiating said fall. True to form though Mil got to keep his impressive streak of one asshole per season being driven through the balcony even if in this case he added an extra asshole in himself. Also Bigelow's unconscious mass of mischief landing on top of Taz's unconscious Lego figure is as close to a no-contest as you're going to get with somebody actually going over.

Finally caught up again, loved Matanza/Mil and the epic ending. Thought the trios tag was fun. RIP Disciples : (. Great little touch with the missing posters of Alberto, Big Ryck, Hernandez, etc. Looking forward to Mundo vs. Cage in a cage, have enjoyed that feud a lot, the brief Mundo/Taya segment ruled.

Better than the first season cage match, I hope. That was a bummer. Speaking of, do we get more Cuerno soon? He hasn't been since since week 2 or 3, has he?

Cage is divisive among my friends but I love the big guy. He needs a lot of hand holding and has a lot of issues, but when he's booked right and agented to death I imagine, he's amazing and one of my favourite guys to watch. Does anybody of relevance even try the SSD other than Cage? That right there is enough to win me over.

I'm positive he did it in Lucha Underground but I can't remember his opponent.  I specifically remember it because Striker called it as soon as he got the guy up into vertical suplex position, before there was any indication he was going for the SSD, which was goofy as fuck.

EDIT: Joey Ryan!