DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

m92xRIm.gif

Saved a pretty sloppy and poor match.

I still don't get how Scotty didn't paralyze guys when hitting it. Like, he gave zero fucks how they landed and they were going straight down on the top of their domepiece 

LUCHA UNDERGROUND 4/27/16 SEVERE DOWNPOUR EDITION

Spoiler

It's raining like a motherfucker in Central Illinois right now and I was lucky to manage to get home and not have to sleep on a shitty mattress in a friend's house, listening to music on my cell and desperately hoping for sleep. So, at 3 AM with the lights low and the thunder rolling, it's time for LUCHA

Cage vs. Johnny Mundo (Cage Match): You gotta love Cage's momentary look of "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed" whenever Johnny gets announced. Vamp has a good call noting the psychology of the cage keeping Mundo from running away, then he tries that immediately of course. Cage busts out a Boston Crab on the top turnbuckle?! Well, that's different. Mundo: "YOU FAT STOOPID MEATHEAD AHHHHHH! HOWDOESMYBOOTTASTE?". Oh lord. He's so wooden verbally in a match as he is out, you have to give him credit for keeping up appearances. The bad acting is strong in this one. Then Matt gets snarky with Vamp, saying he only watches Lucha Underground, heh. They know the audience they're playing for cause we sure as hell know you're the smarkiest announcer in a non-indy next to Mauro. Sure enough there's a bunch of Taya interference and Mundo finally eats the Steiner Square Driver we've been talking about on a chair and after that he should be out the rest of the season -- but won't, of course. Goofy and fun match in an ECW sense, where you get to see the dumb lug with good moves (Taz) beat up on the shithead heel with a lacky (Raven? That would make Cage out to be Tommy Dreamer though, and that doesn't work. Oh well, I give up)

Fenix/Jack Evans/PJ Black vs. Cortez Castro/Mr. Cisco/Joey Ryan vs. LA LIGA DE LA JUSTICIA~! (AKA Rey Jr./Puma/Azteca Jr.) vs. Ivelisse/Son of Havoc (Trios Titles): Angelico is injured... Good lord this is gonna be ridiculous. I'm gonna take a piss break before trying to recap any of it. 

*flush* ...Ahem.

Striker is helpful in saying this is a four-way with a member of each team in the ring, and tags. Ehhhh, I don't think there's a point in calling this aside from the big points. You can tell it's already gonna be a cluster. 

And it is. Guess this is an elimination match too because after the supreme exchange between Joey and Ivelisse ending in Joey getting paintbrushed and dumped on his head on a German, Ivelisse rolls up Cortez for a pinfall. That was better than the dive train before it just to see some sleazy Rick Rude fucker get wrecked by the best female wrestler in the division, THEN beat the whole team. Of course Jack Evans tries to upstage her by calling himself "the baddest bitch in the building". Go figure. She gets pinned after a superkick and the Temple is not happy. 

MOTHER'S DAY MARATHON ON EL REY. I am all fucking in. 

So we are left with our Super Tecnicos vs. our 2 Rudos/1 Super Tecnico pairing, and holy shit do Azteca and Fenix just jump right into it at an insane pace. Puma goes finisher crazy, Evans goes old-school with the FOULE~!, Rey comes in and runs wild on everyone and you have our new champions. In the space of about two minutes you have two young flyers going bonkers with two really good bases that are not afraid to bump either and one guy who should really not be doing what he's doing going completely bonkers. That was a hell of a finale there. 

And then el Maestro burns our boy Pentagon Jr. with a black candle as he sits in a motorized (and fly looking) wheelchair telling him to get up? And he gives the most chilling stare while facedown on the floor? Yeah, this was a great two-match blowoff show, and I love the fact that they do this. They'll string you along for a week or two with the exposition and minor characters, then just knock it out of the ballpark. Last week was good but this was better, just in pure entertainment value, no matter how ridiculous the stipulations were. You know what should come out of this? A Dragon Azteca Jr. vs. Ivelisse match. Not joking. Then again that's like putting Rick Steamboat vs. Rick Steamboat in this promotion...

Great episode with some quality wrestling.  The cage match was fun and had some clever, entertaining spots - Check out this sequence with the kendo stick.  The 4-way trios match was a bit of a mess, as these sorts of matches tend to be, but there was enough well-booked wrestling to go around.  Only two matches and one vignette in the whole show but they made good use of that time.  

So I heard that Angelico is actually injured?  That really sucks.  I didn't like the trios finals as much as last year's, which was probably my favorite hour of tv in forever.  Thought Ivelisse looked great in the match, and the finishing stretch was fun as hell.

Striker and Vamp have no idea what happened to poor Bael :(

The Cage/Mundo match was really good. Loved the sequence with Mundo using his parkour to dodge the kendo stick. The match was worked exactly as it should with Cage always pushing forward, and Mundo being crafty enough to get some good shots in but ultimately getting his ass kicked. Despite all the nasty moves and bumps, the match had a very old-school cage match feel where the face finally got a big decisive win over the chickenshit heels. The screwdriver as a super-finisher for Cage is pretty cool too.

The trios match was supremely disappointing. Just way too many guys in there for most of the match, and when it got down to two teams the chemistry wasn't great and the finish was abrupt. Some good spots here and there, but no real rhythm and consistency. That said, I do look forward to lots of LU-Babyface-Evolution trios matches.

On 29/04/2016 at 2:23 PM, thecubsfan said:

Angelico really suffered a knee injury around this time in Mexico, but they've also got a storyline playing off it for the rest of season.

And that was a different injury than the "cracked toenail" tweet he made on April 25th with a picture of him in a hospital bed?  Kind of a strange coincidence that it lined up in real time like that.

With only two matches, that was all action all the way through. Mundo/Cage definitely lived up to the hype and was a perfect feud blowoff cage match. Even if I was rooting for Mundo wishing he would climb down instead of missing the dive, Cage going over was the right move and the match was really well-done. Taya was an excellent second for Mundo in the match again, love that pairing. Figured the trios outcome was obvious but a fun match even though disappointing to see the champs lose the titles like that and down one of the members of the team. Rey/Puma/Azteca are the dream team and Ivelisse rules always.

I really enjoyed Sexy/Mariposa last night. Just a nice, hate filled fight. Always knew Mariposa could get brutal but Sexy was right there with her. 

I've been a Sexy Star fan from the start so great to see her get this opportunity. And a good payoff to the story line. 

• Like 1

That was a wild brawl between Sexy and Mariposa.  I am definitely not a fan of Sexy by any means but she really impressed me.  Her screaming "Fuck yoooooooouuuuu!!!!" followed by the crowd losing their shit is surely one of the most memorable moments this season.  Very well-done job by them as well as Mack and Moth.  So much fun to watch.  Also really loved her talk with Dario beforehand, he's the best.

And Graver Consequences?  Ooh, shit, this is going to great!

There's a probably more than a few technical nitpicks you could make about the No Mas match, but it was a very effective spectacle. If you ever wondered what "grabbing the brass ring" is, it's what Sexy Star did in that match. She went from a lukewarm 40/60 crowd split to having everyone going crazy for her win. Say what you will about the rest of her work, but that was the performance of a lifetime.

Dario ruled all night. In an age where nobody wants on-screen authority figures in wrestling, he makes it work.

Hopefully this isn't the end Moth and Mariposa, I've really liked their work together. Unfortunately this show does look like the end of Cuerno. We lose him and get Chavo back, woof.

Which disciple is getting the singles push? Is that Mandel or Mariachi Loco?