DVDVR Message Board

2016 LUCHA UNDERGROUND DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Sexy has grown on me a bit, I liked what I saw of her AAA work when I was able to watch that (plus I hated the Apaches so that was a plus)

That match was good 90s-style wrestling, minus the headshots, which I'm glad we don't have anymore.

That wasn't the end of Cuerno. They're going somewhere, though it's going to take until the last third of the season to really get to it.

Still, it's fairly obvious now why he was unhappy back with his spot in Lucha Underground and looking to try to get out to February. It's all be downhill for him since the first episode. Of course, by the time it airs, everything (seemingly) has been resolved. 

Finally got around to watching this last night (due to the occasionally gory content of the El Rey commercials I've started waiting until the next day to watch a version with commercials edited out, because I watch the show with my 6 year-old) and boy, I was not prepared for that main event.  My daughter likes Sexy Star, and as if seeing her bleed all over The Temple wasn't enough, hearing "Fuck yoooooou" was a real bonus.  She turned to me and said, "What does 'fuck you' mean?"  I replied, " I don't know, I think it's Spanish."

Father's day is coming up in a month, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get a card saying "Thanks for ruining my childhood."  Her mother will help with the design.

• Like 15

LUCHA UNDERGROUND 5/4/16 LUNCH REPORT

Graver Consequences... four coffins... and what is Dario doing in the ceiling tiles? Mystery abounds.

Marty the Moth vs. The Mack: You gotta love Mack busting out a forearm and a hilo without taking off his jacket out of the gate. Then he busts out a chain of big suplexes that is trumped by Marty giving him an Exploidah into the buckles that was about an inch away from crippling Mack. Jesus fuck. Marty also continues to impress by being the most British wrestler on the roster by pulling Mack by the nostrils and doing a cravate. Match ends quick with two stunners and Mack tests the medallion by biting it haha. I guess you can call that a "power sprint", it had no structure at all but it was fun to see two big guys rip into each other for three minutes. 

The music blaring behind Dario is completely unnecessary; he's perfectly effective at getting over the melodrama himself. 

King Cuerno vs. Siniestro de la Muerte: Well nevermind, you can just call these all lightning matches because this one ends in mere moments too. Cuerno loses (boooooooo) but at least he gets straddled by Catrina. 

Dario straight up tells Chavo what we all would love to and dismisses him like a flunky. EL JEFE!

Cage vs. Mascarita Sagrada: Oh no Mascarita has been wrangled into Famous B's scam. You have to wonder how he pays Brenda... probably in lotto tickets and bus fare. Of course Cage promptly F-5s Mascarita for the win (and people complain about the intergender matches, how about putting these two against each other). Chavo promptly does the stupidest thing ever by choosing Cage to steal a medallion from; c'mon, Siniestro is right there dude. 

Sexy Star vs. Mariposa (No Mas Match): Roberto Duran probably won't be impressed. And boy neither am I at the start here. We get a lot of bad punches and... cootchie shots? Okay. At least Mariposa took lessons from Sabu into how to recklessly sling a chair at someone. They climb all the way to the rafters and back down again which still injects no drama in this for me. Sexy even blades and then of course we get creepy Marty beating up a woman though Mack comes out to beat the shit out of him. To her credit, Sexy bleeds like mad, the crowd gets super into the match, and they tell a pretty good story in a moral sense, but Sexy don't deserve no Aztec Medallion.

My lunch was just about like this episode, briefly satisfying but ultimately a lot of empty calories.

I wasn't clear on what Graver Consequences actually is.  It's a one-on-one casket match, except with four caskets, except only one of those caskets will actually figure into the finish?  I mean I assume it won't be some sort of matryoshka deal.

Thought it might be a multi-man casket match with everyone for themselves, which would be cool.

It sounds like it's supposed to be a tag team casket match with Mil and Matanza doing most of the work and then there's a convenient way to progress Catrina's story by shoving her in an extra casket that wouldn't normally be there.

One for Mil, one for Catrina, one for the Siniestre, and one extra because Dario has seen enough wrestling on TV to know that sometimes caskets come already occupied.

Or maybe it's for someone they killed off in the comics, and Dario just wants to pay his respects.

Anybody else get a kick out of Vampiro morphing into Patrick Wilson of Weezer? 

Career performance from Sexy. Good on her. Hopefully she can carry the momentum forward, but I don't know if she's good enough to make "normal" matches fun. Melissa's strikes were terrible and really hurt the match but she was generally good outside of that.

I thought all the smoke and mirrors for the No Mas match was good. Basically everything outside the ring was enjoyable, but Sexy just can't hit anything well in the ring. Normally that wouldn't bother me, but when it's really basic stuff or the finish (the way Mariposa had to feed her the arm for the Cross Arm Breaker was probably the most brutal single moment I've seen all year).. Well, she could probably do a great job as Pagano's tag team partner on the indies.

LU put up a web exclusive, Jack Evans vs. Fenix:

Yes, I realized that most of my comment is listed in the youtube title, but I wasn't sure if my link would embed properly, so figured I'd say what it was just in case.

Loved the main event. It felt like the brainchild of some insane collaboration between Wes Craven, Bill Watts and Antonio Pena. I was a little skeptical on the whole “graver consequences” deal, but the visual of all the wrecked coffins added a lot to the match. Mil Muertes just revels in these gimmicky brawls and Matanza had no problem keeping up with the potato shots and heavyweight bumps. Muertes strapping on the chain mail glove was such a markout moment for me. There is no one else in wrestling who knows how to deliver a right cross like Muertes. I also can't say enough about how well Cobb has done adapting to his role of Splatterhouse Brock Lesnar. Great stuff all around. 

Yeah that was awesome. Glad to have a rare Weds off to catch this as it aired. Amazing big fight feel. Both guys and their managers were great all the way through. Loved the drama scenes with Lorenzo Lamas as well. Another fun trios tag, Mundo's gear ruled.

They do casket matches better than anyone but can we talk about Striker prattling on about "death boxes?"

At first I figured it was some WWE-esque branding where he wasn't allowed to say coffins but then he DID call it a coffin once. Thus, he, on his own accord, decided to call them death boxes for the entire match. 

What the fuck?

"Hey Jimmy, I know you're sad but go up to the death box and tell grandma goodbye."

• Like 1

He probably just forgot once. One of my biggest pet peeves about the show is the obviously scripted lines that they have Striker interject that come off so phony. Like the whole passing of the torch thing with Puma and Rey.

Graver Consequences was a fun garbage match. I'm shocked WWE never thought of the punching through the casket spot since it'd be a call back to the Buried Alive match.