DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

New Day, the League, the Samoans feat. Ambrose, and team ECW all trying to recruit Henry only for him to fuck each and every one of them up would be pretty good TV.

.... for the three or four weeks it would take for Henry to injure himself again and miss five months.

• Like 1

People weren't as unanimous of their love of Austin/Rock as one might think in hindsight.  A lot of folks on the IWC were pretty tired of Austin/Rock and clamoring for other people to be on top (Jericho, Benoit etc.).  JR's non-stop praise of Austin, even during matches that had nothing to do with him, were pretty off-putting.  And Rock was often viewed as a guy who dominated his opponents on the mic and never let them get the better of him.  Maybe an undeserved rap, but it's the way things often were.

I actually do remember that, but it never translated to bad reactions for either of them live. Well, at least during the height of the attitude era, crowds did turn on The Rock in 2002.

People weren't as unanimous of their love of Austin/Rock as one might think in hindsight.  A lot of folks on the IWC were pretty tired of Austin/Rock and clamoring for other people to be on top (Jericho, Benoit etc.).  JR's non-stop praise of Austin, even during matches that had nothing to do with him, were pretty off-putting.  And Rock was often viewed as a guy who dominated his opponents on the mic and never let them get the better of him.  Maybe an undeserved rap, but it's the way things often were.

I actually do remember that, but it never translated to bad reactions for either of them live. Well, at least during the height of the attitude era, crowds did turn on The Rock in 2002.

But that also ties into the real point for getting the midcard over as midcarders. Using the previous era, yes- even if they were over, no one was clamoring for the New Age Outlaws or Crash Holly to main event over Austin and The Rock.

WWE forgot in time, however, that that's not the point of making them seem important. The point is to use them as that other line of defense- The Outlaws/Crash will never main event over Austin and Rock.  Austin and Rock are the stars of the show, but in that event someone doesn't LIKE Austin and Rock? Someone would prefer the New Age Outlaws and Crash Holly? Well, their money's still green too- let them come to the show, cheer their little hearts out for the New Age Outlaws or Crash Holly, and give them just enough to do so that they have a raison d'etre on the programming and make it clear: Even if they'll never be Austin or Rock, they're still here, they still MATTER, and what they're doing is significant too. 

It's far easier to get away with the fans not being interested in the top act if you're running something with enough people so that there's something for those fans' too, and that's been the bigger issue.

Whether it's Reigns now, or Cena for 10 years before that, or Triple H before that- the WWE putting all their eggs into one, and only one, basket is what really started this decline.,,both with the shows, running them as the "[Ace] Smile-Time Variety Hour, with Guest Star 'guy the star beats this week', and a bunch of jobbers"., the audience (which has declined once they decided, if WWE won't give them anyone but this one star and made it clear- you either like THIS person or bust. You have no other options- if you're wrestling fans, it's us or stop watching" and decided, en masse, "well, maybe we'll just stop watching then!", and fans who are savvy enough to know your hero on TV, getting more wins and losses, getting a title- even being World Champion- no longer matters. All that matters is having that one Face of the Company spot...who in the process have decided they'll do whatever it takes to make THEIR favorite be in John Cena's place because it's the only way they'll matter on WWE programming....all of it can go back to that one problem.

• Like 4

I still maintain Rusev came out of that feud more over than he entered it.

The problem is he was even more over in the middle of it.

As for Owens, would he have gotten nearly as over as he did if he hadn't gotten a clean win over Cena? I doubt it. He was fine even after losing both rematches. He then got booted to the midcard and things started going badly.

But that also ties into the real point for getting the midcard over as midcarders. Using the previous era, yes- even if they were over, no one was clamoring for the New Age Outlaws or Crash Holly to main event over Austin and The Rock.

WWE forgot in time, however, that that's not the point of making them seem important. The point is to use them as that other line of defense- The Outlaws/Crash will never main event over Austin and Rock.  Austin and Rock are the stars of the show, but in that event someone doesn't LIKE Austin and Rock? Someone would prefer the New Age Outlaws and Crash Holly? Well, their money's still green too- let them come to the show, cheer their little hearts out for the New Age Outlaws or Crash Holly, and give them just enough to do so that they have a raison d'etre on the programming and make it clear: Even if they'll never be Austin or Rock, they're still here, they still MATTER, and what they're doing is significant too. 

It's far easier to get away with the fans not being interested in the top act if you're running something with enough people so that there's something for those fans' too, and that's been the bigger issue.

Whether it's Reigns now, or Cena for 10 years before that, or Triple H before that- the WWE putting all their eggs into one, and only one, basket is what really started this decline.,,both with the shows, running them as the "[Ace] Smile-Time Variety Hour, with Guest Star 'guy the star beats this week', and a bunch of jobbers"., the audience (which has declined once they decided, if WWE won't give them anyone but this one star and made it clear- you either like THIS person or bust. You have no other options- if you're wrestling fans, it's us or stop watching" and decided, en masse, "well, maybe we'll just stop watching then!", and fans who are savvy enough to know your hero on TV, getting more wins and losses, getting a title- even being World Champion- no longer matters. All that matters is having that one Face of the Company spot...who in the process have decided they'll do whatever it takes to make THEIR favorite be in John Cena's place because it's the only way they'll matter on WWE programming....all of it can go back to that one problem.

I think you might be forgetting just how many over acts that got steamrolled by Austin and Rock on a weekly basis.  And WWE's been doing the 'Ace beats star' of the week format since long before Triple H.  The only reason guys like Rock and Mankind got runs at the top was because of Austin's injury.  If Austin had been healthy, Rock and Foley likely wouldn't have had their runs.  Rock and Foley's first World Title reigns came as Austin was recovering from an injury.  Austin's reign came while Michaels was injured.  Michaels' reign came after a full year of Diesel at the top.  Diesel's run came after Hart's run at the top following the phasing out/defection of Hogan.  Since Hulk Hogan became their top star, WWE's mentality has been "one feature star and a cast of also-rans".

• Like 1

I thought Owens should have won the rubber match. He's over and they should move him up to the main event scene. Just pull the trigger and run with him. Have him hold the IC title till Mania, drop it to Zayn and then win the MITB. Imagine Owens with the briefcase their would be a buzz as to when he was gonna cash it in. Fuck it just do it what dot they have to lose?

I think you might be forgetting just how many over acts that got steamrolled by Austin and Rock on a weekly basis.  And WWE's been doing the 'Ace beats star' of the week format since long before Triple H.  The only reason guys like Rock and Mankind got runs at the top was because of Austin's injury.  If Austin had been healthy, Rock and Foley likely wouldn't have had their runs.  Rock and Foley's first World Title reigns came as Austin was recovering from an injury.  Austin's reign came while Michaels was injured.  Michaels' reign came after a full year of Diesel at the top.  Diesel's run came after Hart's run at the top following the phasing out/defection of Hogan.  Since Hulk Hogan became their top star, WWE's mentality has been "one feature star and a cast of also-rans".

Even then, it doesn't change the same point there. You CAN get away with over acts being steamrolled by the ace of the company and make "one feature star and a cast of also-rans"...if you also give everyone else something to do. Some feud, some storyline- heck, even a fun gimmick does enough to make it work.  There's a world of difference between the also-rans feeling like "yeah, what they do matters too, even if they'll never be THE star" and the way it is now, where you're either John Cena or you're just a jobber (and even that isn't overreacting- heck, most of the "jobbers with gimmicks" from the '80s/'90s were still just over enough so they'd probably at least be on Raw/Smackdown's regular rotation today.) 

No comments about the Torch's quote from Daniel Bryan?

I read this at f4wonline.com, guessing the quotes are the same pal?

Daniel Bryan, while in Singapore promoting the WWE brand today, gave an interesting answer to the often asked question about his future.

Bryan responded with an unsettling answer, "I think it could be the end of my career in WWE, but I don't think it will be the end of my career. I could find another passion, but it would just be sad because this is what I have been most passionate about since I was five."

Bryan has a couple of years left on his WWE contract and it's doubtful they would release him early. Bryan has talked about potentially asking for his release as well, but It's more likely they would either find a new role for him or use him in a public relations capacity, which is largely what he's been doing since his last concussion. Bryan has spoken publicly about wanting to continue to wrestle, and has even metioned going against WWE doctors orders to do so. Without a doubt, Daniel Bryan, most likely going back to his real name, Bryan Danielson, would be a hot commodity on the independent scene in the United States, and certainly in Japan as well.

Bryan's real life wife Brie Bella is currently under contract to WWE, and both were key players in the most recent season of Total Divas. The WWE has been very cautious recently about allowing anyone with a concussion to participate in ring without clearance from their doctors.

Didn't expect to read that this morning.

No comments about the Torch's quote from Daniel Bryan?

I read this at f4wonline.com, guessing the quotes are the same pal?

Daniel Bryan, while in Singapore promoting the WWE brand today, gave an interesting answer to the often asked question about his future.

Bryan responded with an unsettling answer, "I think it could be the end of my career in WWE, but I don't think it will be the end of my career. I could find another passion, but it would just be sad because this is what I have been most passionate about since I was five."

Bryan has a couple of years left on his WWE contract and it's doubtful they would release him early. Bryan has talked about potentially asking for his release as well, but It's more likely they would either find a new role for him or use him in a public relations capacity, which is largely what he's been doing since his last concussion. Bryan has spoken publicly about wanting to continue to wrestle, and has even metioned going against WWE doctors orders to do so. Without a doubt, Daniel Bryan, most likely going back to his real name, Bryan Danielson, would be a hot commodity on the independent scene in the United States, and certainly in Japan as well.

Bryan's real life wife Brie Bella is currently under contract to WWE, and both were key players in the most recent season of Total Divas. The WWE has been very cautious recently about allowing anyone with a concussion to participate in ring without clearance from their doctors.

Didn't expect to read that this morning.

Sucks to hear, but probably for the best.

Would Owens winning the rubber match have hurt Cena?

I guess Cena would have thought so? Pretty sure Cena could have said flat-out "Screw this, Owens wins" and that would have been that.

Ugh, blaming Cena for this is beyond stupid and always has been. He isn't in charge of his creative.

Would Owens winning the rubber match have hurt Cena?

I guess Cena would have thought so? Pretty sure Cena could have said flat-out "Screw this, Owens wins" and that would have been that.

Ugh, blaming Cena for this is beyond stupid and always has been. He isn't in charge of his creative.

I don't blame Cena either. It goes back to too much tv and PPV's, but why did they have to even have a third match so soon? Have Owens lose the first, win the second and then heel it up to avoid another. He goes on to have a good year with the belt, Cena comes back after an Owens match, points at the belt, WM big time match that gets the belt over.

It's 50/50 booking, but at least it goes somewhere.