DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

The thing that I miss most from the attitude era is the crowd heat, which was the product of giving the fans a reason to care about people up and down the card. I'll take maybe all but the bottom 5% of attitude angles over the current landscape where all but like 3 guys are interchangable and no one has any reason to get invested in anyone because the end game is always "will lose to Cena or a part-timer."

You make it sound like the Attitude Era invented midcard booking.  Pretty much every promotion I've watched pre-1997 did a better job of getting fans to care about the entire roster than the WWE. 

• Like 2

I read The Death of WCW for the first time during this past summer and it was shocking how many parallels there were between WCW and current day WWE. Just nowhere else to go for mainstream wrestling, other than to not watch at all.

Was it the original version or the 10th anniversary edition? If it was the original the updated version is worth checking out because they added 100 or so pages of new stuff (quite frankly the thing on TNA at the end makes it worth getting all by itself).
  • Like 1

Man, I cannot wait for the Royal Rumble next month. The obvious thing to book has a solid chance to happen (Roman wins WWE Championship, Brock wins Rumble), but I have no clue if this company will actually do that, and that crowd full of haters and smarks will be ready to tear the show apart. It could be a glorious train wreck. 

I don't think the Rumble winner is an obvious thing to book. As there are multiple ways to go with the Rumble winner vs. Reigns.

You could go Legend/Passing the Torch match with Reigns vs. Cena or Taker

You could go rematch with Reigns vs. Lesnar

You could go Family vs. Family with Reigns vs. Ambrose

You could go Superman vs. President Lex Luthor with Reigns vs. Triple H

• Like 1

I think they really should have Reigns finally beat Brock after last year's match where he almost did, but ended up eating a pinfall (when really, he should have overcome Rollins too). You can run the Cena match at Summerslam and have Reigns win there as well.

I mean, I wouldn't have Reigns anywhere near the WWE Championship right now, but if you're going to try to save him, beating Brock and Cena cleanly at the two biggest shows of the year is a good idea to me. Then again, he should have crushed Sheamus during the cash-in attempt anyway. Now, he's not only a guy who can't talk and whom a large portion of the crowd doesn't care about, he's a LOSER who can't talk and whom a large portion of the crowd doesn't care about.

Ambrose means nothing to this company and HHH should never wrestle again. Sweet mother of mercy, can you imagine Reigns/HHH? Reigns is good enough to carry a guy like ADR, who was struggling, to a good match, but he isn't that good yet. 

A co-woker and I were discussing podcasts, and particularly wrestling podcasts, which prompted me to take a look and see what the top five wrestling podcasts-included in the Sports and Recreation category- on iTunes are. 

1. Steve Austin Show-Unleashed! (number 9 overall)

2. The Steve Austin Show-Family Friendly version (number 15 overall)

3. Talk Is Jericho (number 17 overall)

4.The Ross Report (number 29 overall)

5. Cheap Heat with Peter Rosenberg (number 43 overall)

The most surprising revelation is the fact that Colt Cabana's Art Of Wrestling is nowhere to be found in the top 200 Sports and Recreation podcasts. I really thought he'd be somewhere near the top, especially considering the exposure he got with last year's infamous Punk interview. 

Man, I cannot wait for the Royal Rumble next month. The obvious thing to book has a solid chance to happen (Roman wins WWE Championship, Brock wins Rumble), but I have no clue if this company will actually do that, and that crowd full of haters and smarks will be ready to tear the show apart. It could be a glorious train wreck. 

Ugh, we've already seen two train wreck Rumbles in a row. 

I don't think the Rumble winner is an obvious thing to book. As there are multiple ways to go with the Rumble winner vs. Reigns.

You could go Legend/Passing the Torch match with Reigns vs. Cena or Taker

You could go rematch with Reigns vs. Lesnar

You could go Family vs. Family with Reigns vs. Ambrose

You could go Superman vs. President Lex Luthor with Reigns vs. Triple H

Honestly, I really wish they'd just freshen up the Rumble and just have a fluke winner once in a while.  You've always got that Feb show to return it to the status quo.  Have an Uso win it, and then Reigns goes berserk because his cousin gets the WM title shot instead of him.

• Like 1

Come on, the Royal Rumble being poorly booked is becoming a yearly tradition. I want to see if Vince is so stubborn that he does an even worse job of booking the show this year. 

I do like the fluke winner idea, but it would have to be someone who is over. They really should have just had Santino do it that year that ADR won. 

Ambrose winning and then having Reigns turn on him, then having Reigns goad Ambrose into putting his shot on the line at Fastlane and having Reigns go over would work. Ambrose isn't a fluke winner, but he is a guy whom no one expects to win, and we'd get that Reigns heel turn which at this point is about as mythical as the Cena heel turn amongst the internet wrestling fantasy booking crowd. 

The most surprising revelation is the fact that Colt Cabana's Art Of Wrestling is nowhere to be found in the top 200 Sports and Recreation podcasts. I really thought he'd be somewhere near the top, especially considering the exposure he got with last year's infamous Punk interview. 

Colt talked about it on one his last podcast.  His podcast server was hacked sometime earlier this year.  When he moved to a new server, he lost a lot of subscribers that didn't know they had to subscribe to a new feed. 

• Like 1

That's because Cabana's podcast is in the "Society and Culture" section and not Sports (#64 ranked.)  Don't ask me why.  But I guarantee more people are listening to Austin, Jericho, and prob Ross over him.

• Like 1

That's because Cabana's podcast is in the "Society and Culture" section and not Sports (#64 ranked.)  Don't ask me why.  But I guarantee more people are listening to Austin, Jericho, and prob Ross over him.

Yeah, that's very odd. I listen to his podcast, depending who the guest is. Colt really isn't all that great at doing interviews, so a good guest helps to carry the show. 

I think they really should have Reigns finally beat Brock after last year's match where he almost did, but ended up eating a pinfall (when really, he should have overcome Rollins too).

Would that be enough to save him? I think because many of the people watching the product remember what happened with Lex, I don't think he can be saved.

• Like 1

That "shades of grey" Attitude Era video was just brand positioning and salesmanship. They still had faces and heels and did a ton of shit to insult everyone's intelligence. It was just an exercise in telling the people watching that they were smarter, more discerning fans than those who watch the competition. It's a great way to sell a product, nothing more.

What do people want when they pine for the "Attitude Era?" What exactly do you want to make a comeback? Blood? Tits? "Edgy" storylines? Rampant misogyny? Beaver Clevage or the JOB Squad? The Attitude Era wasn't good because of that shit. The good stuff about that era was the wrestlers who became legends like Austin, Rock, Foley, Undertaker. They're not coming back (well, except Taker) and making your booking more Russoriffic won't make things better.

If they did decide to bring back titties, I would not complain. I have simple wants. If I can't have Daniel Bryan back, I mean.

• Like 1

I can't listen to Ross or Cornette's curmudgeonly rants for more than a minute at a time 

Ross has his moments, but I don't even bother listening to Cornette's podcast anymore. Not only is his co-host outright awful, but Corny comes off as a really unpleasant and bitter person. 

Random thought, but outside of matches involving John Cena, what has been the best TV match the WWE has given us since last Survivor Series. Note, I count the Cesaro/Rusev/Owens triple threat as involving Cena.

Neville vs Rollins was a lot of fun. 

Colt talked about it on one his last podcast.  His podcast server was hacked sometime earlier this year.  When he moved to a new server, he lost a lot of subscribers that didn't know they had to subscribe to a new feed. 

That's a shame.  I'll miss all those great follow up questions he always had. 

I had the weirdest wrestling dream ... Me & Mike Patton (Faith No More, et. al) were trying to write a wrestling entrance theme. Patton says something about sometimes themes rip offpopular songs, using DDP as an example.

The song ended up being "Spot Monkey." With lyrics I don't remember. But the chorus I don't think I could forget for a while. It was to the tune of Body Count's "Cop Killer."

The Young Bucks came out to it in Japan. And I woke up.

"I'm a muthafuckin' ... SPOT MONKEEEEEEEEEEEY! DIE DIE DIE, MARK, DIE!"

• Like 1

Who was the first pro wrestler to rock the leather jacket look? Someone had to do it before Piper right?

So I'm watching some Mid South and it strikes me, I miss the minimalism that used to be involved in pro wrestling. Am I alone in this?

I've always liked the Miz, he's a guy akin to Rick Rude and Triple H in that he is just a natural heel - the sad thing is he just doesn't ever seem to catch a break.

His world title run could have been so much more if they'd booked him as the chicken-shit Flair-esque heel who barely walks away with the title, and his Johnny Cage IC run recently had a lot of potential but just seemed to flounder.