DVDVR Message Board

2015 NFL - WEEK FOUR

Dolfan in NYC

To steal a bit from Simmons: Kaep for Cutler, who says no(or yes)?

The 49ers say no, because they're going to suck any way, and sucking with Cutler seems like kicking yourself in the nuts.

To keep the game going, Cutler for RGIII and/or Cousins.

I think RG3 is a fun answer to what would be the only thing that would make Bears fans more miserable.

Cutler for Mallet?

The thing is the Bears are clearly trying to sell off everything to rebuild. RGIII could be bad and get them a higher draft pick or show potential and they don't necesarily need to draft a quarterback right away.  Cutler is in the same boat as RGIII where the fanbase wants anyone but him, so both fanbases would embrace them at least until the end of the season.  The problem with Cutler is that he's the single most miserable player to have on your team when you aren't very good.  That cuts a lot of teams who would love to have a quarterback of his caliber out right away.

To steal a bit from Simmons: Kaep for Cutler, who says no(or yes)?

The 49ers say no, because they're going to suck any way, and sucking with Cutler seems like kicking yourself in the nuts.

To keep the game going, Cutler for RGIII and/or Cousins.

I think RG3 is a fun answer to what would be the only thing that would make Bears fans more miserable.

Cutler for Mallet?

The thing is the Bears are clearly trying to sell off everything to rebuild. RGIII could be bad and get them a higher draft pick or show potential and they don't necesarily need to draft a quarterback right away. Cutler is in the same boat as RGIII where the fanbase wants anyone but him, so both fanbases would embrace them at least until the end of the season. The problem with Cutler is that he's the single most miserable player to have on your team when you aren't very good. That cuts a lot of teams who would love to have a quarterback of his caliber out right away.

The bigger problem is that there are only 3-4 teams who need QBs. Off the top of my head you got Houston, Chicago, DC, and Jacksonville but I'm not sure the Jags are ready to give up on Bortles yet. I don't think anyone in the league is desperate enough to absorb Cutty's hilarious contract. Houston is the only one where it wouldn't be a massive mistake.

I think they're stuck with him.

Seriously, though, I would think about it. I know a year of rust or whatever but running backs, man, they already have such a dicey shelf life as it is. I know there's many cases of guys blowing a tire and coming back to have a good career - Frank Gore probably most notably - but Fournette could go from easy 1st overall to who knows where off one bad hit. I didn't know he wasn't eligible this year. Football (and basketball) have really stupid draft rules.

Even if he could come out this year, he wouldn't go first overall. Running back just isn't that hard of a position to fill in the NFL.

With the failure of Richardson, I'm not even sure he goes top 10.

• Like 1

Seriously, though, I would think about it. I know a year of rust or whatever but running backs, man, they already have such a dicey shelf life as it is. I know there's many cases of guys blowing a tire and coming back to have a good career - Frank Gore probably most notably - but Fournette could go from easy 1st overall to who knows where off one bad hit. I didn't know he wasn't eligible this year. Football (and basketball) have really stupid draft rules.

Even if he could come out this year, he wouldn't go first overall. Running back just isn't that hard of a position to fill in the NFL.

With the failure of Richardson, I'm not even sure he goes top 10.

Gurley went top 10 even after he blew his knee out. Talent trumps out in the end.

Hard to imagine why the Lions have no run game with blocking like this

I can't stop watching. It gets funnier every time.
Tell me about it. I was transfixed for at least 30 viewings before I managed to break the spell and share it here.

NFL has talked contingency plan for Eagles/Skins on Sunday since DC might be getting hit with the Hurricane

The plan is that since both have the same bye week - game would be played Week 8

Baltimore is so bad they're even left out of GojiColin's analysis of 0-3 teams.

At first I think, maybe they can beat the Steelers since Roethlisberger is out?  But then I remember they lost to the Raiders.  Fuuuuck.

I think it was one of those things where my brain was like "The Ravens are 0-3?  Nahh, you mean the Browns right?".  Maybe in the coming weeks it will feel more natural, I have to work the ring rust off.

• Like 1

As a Packers fan I don't even know what I'd do if the Bears traded for RG III but I'm pretty sure it involves missing pants, a Lionel Richie record, and a box of wine.

You had me at "hello"!

I remember some 49er fans (not necessarily on here, but on the Internet as a whole) saying that the Bills shouldn't get Greg Roman because he was terrible. So far in 2015, the Bills are 3rd in the NFL in points scored, while the 49ers are last. Maybe Roman wasn't the issue.... I think it was quite a steal, the offensive has generally been fun to watch and Harvin is having his best start in awhile. This weekend will be harder if McCoy and Watkins are both out but I still have confidence they can put up 20+ which should be enough, depending on which version of Eli is at the game.

NFL has talked contingency plan for Eagles/Skins on Sunday since DC might be getting hit with the Hurricane

The plan is that since both have the same bye week - game would be played Week 8

When did playing in the rain, even hard rain, become a problem?  This shit isn't going to be Superstorm Sandy-level bad.  Christ.

Steelers face Ravens tonight night with both Ben and Pouncey injured.   Fuck.. It is going to be a long graveyard shift.

Nah, you're fine.  The Ravens can't find their ass with two hands this season.

As per usual in regards to weather - it's about fan safety (especially getting to and from the game)

That being said everything is now saying the Hurricane itself will be hitting Sunday night/Monday morning

When did playing in the rain, even hard rain, become a problem?  This shit isn't going to be Superstorm Sandy-level bad.  Christ.

Steelers face Ravens tonight night with both Ben and Pouncey injured.   Fuck.. It is going to be a long graveyard shift.

Nah, you're fine.  The Ravens can't find their ass with two hands this season.

At this same point back then, no one thought Hurricane Sandy would be as devastating as it turned out to be.

• Like 1

When did playing in the rain, even hard rain, become a problem? This shit isn't going to be Superstorm Sandy-level bad. Christ.

Steelers face Ravens tonight night with both Ben and Pouncey injured. Fuck.. It is going to be a long graveyard shift.

Nah, you're fine. The Ravens can't find their ass with two hands this season.

At this same point back then, no one thought Hurricane Sandy would be as devastating as it turned out to be.

Sandy was insane. Riding in a cab through empty, pitch black Lower Manhattan on Tuesday or Wednesday of that week is a memory I'll never lose.

Regarding football, Ravens/Steelers without Ben and with the corpse of Michael Vick almost certainly not lasting the whole game comes down to three words:

Ice up, son.

I remember some 49er fans (not necessarily on here, but on the Internet as a whole) saying that the Bills shouldn't get Greg Roman because he was terrible. So far in 2015, the Bills are 3rd in the NFL in points scored, while the 49ers are last. Maybe Roman wasn't the issue.... I think it was quite a steal, the offensive has generally been fun to watch and Harvin is having his best start in awhile. This weekend will be harder if McCoy and Watkins are both out but I still have confidence they can put up 20+ which should be enough, depending on which version of Eli is at the game.

Roman's the first competent OC the Bills have had, since what the Flutie days?

Taking the same pass play that failed at the end of Super Bowl 47 and running it again in a virtually identical game situation in the 2013 NFC Championship Game where it failed again in a virtually identical manner has left a bit of a bad taste in our mouths. :)