DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

I like how people are shitting on a Wreddit list when the vast majority of users on that sub are in their teens to early twenties. Because most of them know who the Sheepherders are or whoever, right? And the person who said you can rank it 1-20, or 20-1 and it'll still be "wrong" - no, that's not how opinions work. If this board did the same list, and I posted it on Wreddit, generally, you'd get the same responses about your list that you're giving theirs. Let them think Team Hell No is a GOAT tag team - who cares? Late 90s/early 00s wrestling is what they grew up on, just like most of you guys grew up on 80s/early 90s wrestling.

I like how people are shitting on a Wreddit list when the vast majority of users on that sub are in their teens to early twenties. Because most of them know who the Sheepherders are or whoever, right? And the person who said you can rank it 1-20, or 20-1 and it'll still be "wrong" - no, that's not how opinions work. If this board did the same list, and I posted it on Wreddit, generally, you'd get the same responses about your list that you're giving theirs. Let them think Team Hell No is a GOAT tag team - who cares? Late 90s/early 00s wrestling is what they grew up on, just like most of you guys grew up on 80s/early 90s wrestling.

Look, I'm into people having their own opinions and all, but that doesn't mean that you should take opinions borne from ignorance seriously. Shit, that's why when I give my opinion on "Best Ever" type lists, I know it's shitty - I have no concept of wrestling in Mexico and little concept of wrestling in Japan. If I want to be taken seriously, I should learn more about the wrestlers in those places. Same thing with Wreddit's list. It's out there for public consumption, and I can tell that their list is even more ignorant than my top twenty list would be. 

This idea that all opinions are equally valid is terrible. 

Also, we should totally do a top-twenty tag teams list. I'll watch stuff outside of NA if it's a worldwide list just to contribute less shitty opinions.

• Like 1

When I was growing up, I wanted to know everything about pro rasslin and basketball. I went to libraries, I traded tapes, I watched anything I could get my hands on.

The teens doing that wreddit list literally have anything they could want to form an opinion at their fingertips, and most of it free. They deserve snark because it is literally baffling to me that someone could like wrestling enough to try and put together a theoretically objective list of the best tag teams ever with clearly no research beyond 'my older brother showed me a tlc match one time'. Sure, they may not have seen a Sheepherders match. I wonder how they could possibly change that?

• Like 4

Me and Goldman have the exact same idea.  I craved knowledge of all wrestling ever since I started watching it.  I was fascinated when my uncle would tell me about guys from the 70's.  If you want to put forth the idea that you are intelligent or fanatical enough to put together a "best of" list, actually do something to show it.

• Like 1

i think the only logical response would be a "best tag team" tournament. it will have to include a loser's bracket, so that we can get an official DVDVR ranking. 

unfortunately, i'm not going to put in that much work, so somebody else will have to get it started.

I'm kinda surprised we haven't done an overall "best tag teams" tournament considering we've already done "best dead tag teams" one. I'd participate in that for sure, but we all know it'll end up with a final bracket of Demolition vs. Gordy/Hayes with Demolition winning. Maybe.

(For the record, I'm Jumbo/Tenryu all the way, unless we get more footage of Bockwinkle and Stevens in the future)

There was a best tag team tournament on the old board. I remember the finals being the Condrey/Eaton Midnight Express vs the Hart Foundation. I also remember the Rougeau's making it far and people getting pissed at that. There was also a short lived tag team tournament that was way more fun.

Every time I hear Jericho and a WCW alum on his podcast I feel like someone needs to put together the definitive oral history of WCW, 

Between life with Macho and somehow ending up with the wrestler from the misfits, you just know Gorgeous George has some great stories from that time period

• Like 1