DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

So, discussion time.  I found the following on Facebook, and I think there's a certain amount of truth here.  What say you all?

11813370_868874419873419_277250539480920

Or people just enjoy different things?

This.  Don't like it, don't watch it.  It's not like the people that watch NJPW (or AAA, or LU, or anything other than WWE) on this board lord it over the people that only watch WWE.  We lord it over people that watch only TNA, because well, if you only watch TNA, you deserve it.

I don't think people are being contrarian about the NJ hype. It's fresh to them, and that means a whole lot. But even against like against New Japan from earlier this decade, New Japan is pretty overrated. And even that stuff measures up SUPER poorly to what NJ was putting out in the 80s and 90s.

important side note: I tend to believe 90s NJPW is the peak of Japanese wrasslin, tied with 90s M-Pro and proper actual Toryumon.

I don't think people are being contrarian about the NJ hype. It's fresh to them, and that means a whole lot. But even against like against New Japan from earlier this decade, New Japan is pretty overrated. And even that stuff measures up SUPER poorly to what NJ was putting out in the 80s and 90s.

important side note: I tend to believe 90s NJPW is the peak of Japanese wrasslin, tied with 90s M-Pro and proper actual Toryumon.

Well, if we're compairing current output to previous timeframes, current WWE can't hold the jock of late 80's/early 90's WWF (Mania 1-10 era), and late 91/92 WCW was pretty untouchable.

Well, if we're compairing current output to previous timeframes, current WWE can't hold the jock of late 80's/early 90's WWF (Mania 1-10 era), and late 91/92 WCW was pretty untouchable.

I'd put current WWE over 1988-1992 WWF. 

I disagree. I don't believe that the big NJPW matches are overrated. As an overall product, I feel it's fairly par with WWE. Of course, I also don't shove my fandom in anyone's face. Perhaps there are those who do and those people may be doing it to feel cool. That fact should not take away from the excellent performances guys like Tanahashi, Okada, Nakamura, and even Styles have been putting out.

Oh, and if you argue that Ishii is overrated I don't want to talk to you.

Again, that's taste.  I'd value the consistant storylines up and down the card along with better, more cohesive in-ring product telling a story throughout of 85-93 WWF than the rolutte wheel match making and paint-by-numbers performance of current Indy-lite WWE, but that's me, and your milage may vary.

There is always backlash to anything that becomes popular, for certain, but I also think that having a tastemaker like Dave Meltzer explain away faults in NJ matches while hammering other companies for the same faults is part of it too. Not that I blame Meltzer for this because he's a fan, and as fans, we all forgive our favorite wrestlers or companies for faults that we don't forgive in others, but people are really starting to notice/make jokes and memes out of Meltzer's bias toward NJ. 

I enjoy what I see. I've been watching G1 matches from this year, and most of them have just been okay, to be honest, but it's nice to have another company that can put forth some intriguing matchups on a big-time stage. Now if only they'd do a NJ World app in English on Roku/PS4...

70's NWA World Title scene and 70's-mid 90's AJPW are my favorites ever. With that said, I can still totally pick through the current WWE product and find great wrestling. NXT has also entertained the shit out of me for the past year.

'87-'89 NWA for life. It's the most fun that I've ever had with wrestling. I'd put '96-'98 WWE, '91-93 WWE, '92-'96 WCW. and everything I've seen of '84-'85 Portland on that one dude's YouTube channel up there, too. Oh, and '77-81 WoS. No particular order after '87-'89 NWA. They're all tied for second. 

Are you ready for....................BEEF MODE!?

It looks like we may be getting a new WWE tag team in Adam Rose and Brad Maddox. They teamed up as "Beef Mode" at last night's WWE live event in Hidalgo, Texas and lost to the team of Damien Sandow and Curtis Axel.

Maddox and Rose wore matching gear and cut a promo on how they were in better shape than the fans. Rose also referred to he and Maddox as "BFFs" and then they hugged. They were also doing push-ups and jogging around in the ring. One fan in attendance referred to them as WWE's new "ambiguously gay duo" and said they were doing a "genetic heel fitness freak" gimmick.

Below is a photo from one of WWE's official Twitter accounts:

CLXVvHRUcAAOPiw.jpg

I'll say this for New Japan.  I like their product enough to slog through a month long tournament, running a show almost everyday, that I only had mild interest in.  I can't say I'd do the same for any other promotion, include the ones I have direct input in.

People getting mad at other people liking things is an extremely Internet thing to do (not saying anyone here is doing that, just referencing the implication of the post). I do think that NJPW is currently more entertaining than WWE, but I dunno why that opinion would get people up in a tizzy, its just a personal preference. 

Hope that Rose/Maddox team works out.

Maddox has alot of stooge charisma and Rose is a solid hand in the ring and seems like a really nice guy who will run with anything you give him.

Hope they can get a finish as good as the Jordan/Gable super bridging back suplex!

It looks like we may be getting a new WWE tag team in Adam Rose and Brad Maddox. They teamed up as "Beef Mode" at last night's WWE live event in Hidalgo, Texas and lost to the team of Damien Sandow and Curtis Axel.

Maddox and Rose wore matching gear and cut a promo on how they were in better shape than the fans. Rose also referred to he and Maddox as "BFFs" and then they hugged. They were also doing push-ups and jogging around in the ring. One fan in attendance referred to them as WWE's new "ambiguously gay duo" and said they were doing a "genetic heel fitness freak" gimmick.

Below is a photo from one of WWE's official Twitter accounts:

CLXVvHRUcAAOPiw.jpg

Pah. They're not Bull-Fit.

• Like 1

Titus had become the best hot tag in the WWE, if nothing else.

He's a pretty good talker too. He occasionally stumbles, but he puts out enough gold to neutralise that. He knows how to talk smack as a babyface and that's a talent. The PTPs and The New Day could feud forever as far as I'm concerned, but I definitely hope that the Usos turn heel when they return because Titus and Darren are *the team* as far as I'm concerned.