DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

So, is the Shawn Michaels hate for both pre and post hiatus or just the comeback HBK? I didn't really care for post-comeback HBK outside of a handful of matches but admittedly missed out on a lot of his stuff from '04-'06 due to not giving a fuck about WWE. So many shitty chops and atomic drops. And he's largely to blame for the finisher spamming and reversal shit prevalent in the WWE main event EPICS. 

Pre-hiatus Shawn was pretty damned great in the ring but a piece of shit. His title reign had a bunch of good to great matches, the best being the Mankind match.

So, is the Shawn Michaels hate for both pre and post hiatus or just the comeback HBK? I didn't really care for post-comeback HBK outside of a handful of matches but admittedly missed out on a lot of his stuff from '04-'06 due to not giving a fuck about WWE. So many shitty chops and atomic drops. And he's largely to blame for the finisher spamming and reversal shit prevalent in the WWE main event EPICS. 

Pre-hiatus Shawn was pretty damned great in the ring but a piece of shit. His title reign had a bunch of good to great matches, the best being the Mankind match.

It's mainly post, centered around weak offense, the fact he's a far better heel than babyface but refused to play that role, the fact his matches were centrally built around his opponent working over his injured back, which would be fine if his big comeback spot wasn't a kip-up that totally ignored it, and his really, really, really bad acting. I appreciate that he strove for a level of storytelling and big narrative moments that most other wrestlers in history haven't, but he didn't have the chops to pull it off.

Pre-comeback, I think he's still a very selfish and immature worker, mind you. He's someone who really understood wrestling but would often use his power for his own ends instead of for the good of a match.

• Like 1

Matt D, I'm sorry. I love you.

Agreed on both accounts. The Diesel WMXI was obviously the best example of him abusing his power but he did it a bunch with DX and his feud with Vader was another great example of him not being flexible and acting like a petulant child.

My favourite Shawn story is the one Cornette tells ("Fuck you, Shawn! You fuckin' pill popper!") about Bret and Michaels getting into a fight in '97 and Cornette leaving with a handful of HBK's hair. 

And he's largely to blame for the finisher spamming and reversal shit prevalent in the WWE main event EPICS. 

Motherfuckers act like they forgot about Angle

It was his series with Angle that so many people splooged for that really made the change. Benoit and Angle's shit didn't really influence the main event style all that much. And please don't call me a motherfucker. 

• Like 1

I'm an unrepentant Shawn fan. He got me into wrestling, and comeback Shawn kept me invested in WWE at times when it was pretty awful. I think the hardcore fan consensus (like at PWO) is that Shawn actually peaked as a worker when he was in the Rockers with only occasional flashes of brilliance in singles. Plus, what Matt said. I understand a lot of points about his deficiencies, but they're blind spots for me because he's so important to my fandom.

Big E pointing at Kofi and Woods's asses yelling LOOK AT 'EM! YOU WANT SOME! LOOK DEEP INTO THEIR CREVASSES! put me over the edge there. Them running back in just topped it off. 

"Where's my shorts?! Haha #TeamBella rises! Oh and WWE Brooklyn shame on you for disrespecting women that put their bodies on the line for your entertainment. As for the ones that supported us, THANK YOU! You make it worth working so hard and having this revolution!

According to Sarah Stock, she will be leaving Mexico and CMLL. Her last match for CMLL is 9/18/15. Looks like she will be an assistance/co-head trainer for the women down in NXT. As she looked GREAT it would be silly for WWE not to put her on TV even for a short 'meaningless' run. She is in the best shape of her life, can still go in the ring, she can speak 3 lanuages, and can promo. If WWE wants to reach that 'hispanic' market (while still appealing to Canadians), she would be a great on-air addition and with Kanna coming in- it would stack the Divas division even further. Post Sept WWE/NXT should be fun to see how the company decides to us her.

That's a great hire! I really like Sarita. I hope they do put her on TV, even if just for a brief NXT run before she transitions fully to behind-the-scenes work.