DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

Memory is hazy. Maybe it was Taker vs Khali but I could've sworn that he mentioned Cena.

[EDIT : Think you all are right as I would've bet that the two matches were Taker vs Khali and Cena vs Khali in the Punjabi Prison match. Taker vs Khali would've been the explosive deathmatch... which is still pretty badass]

The idea of company ace Cena in a C4/barb wire death match boggles the mind.

Seeing how Cena has gone all indy-style at this stage of his career, perhaps in a few years he'll pull a Great Sasuke and start doing deathmatches out of nowhere.

The idea of company ace Cena in a C4/barb wire death match boggles the mind.

Seeing how Cena has gone all indy-style at this stage of his career, perhaps in a few years he'll pull a Great Sasuke and start doing deathmatches out of nowhere.

And do weird ass "movies" where he explodes out of a grave or some shit?

Alex Greenfield revealed that the Cena vs Khali Punjabi Prison Match was sold to Vince as something to rival the C4 Explosives Japanese death matches...

Then, Dunn got involved after Vince gave the OK. :(

I'm surprised that was brought up a second time. Remember, Foley tried to pitch it to Vince for the Dumpster match with Funk and the Outlaws, even doing it in a separate, empty arena, but that also got canned (pardon the pun). 

You know Cena would go all-in on an exploding barbed wire match. The Onita comparisons would be ridiculous.

Taken from the MLW podcast #175 [April 12th, 2015]:

"[Greenfield] I co-created the Punjabi Prison match, and I gave it the name..."

"[Court Bauer] [T]he original idea, we all talked about it, was to have an explosive deathmatch, FMW style. Vince signed off on it. He saw the video, he saw the pictures, he thought it was awesome for Great American Bash. He said, "Give it to Kevin [Dunn's] department, they'll figure out the logistics."

They went radio silent for about a month, we were given the passive-aggressive, "don't worry, we're on it" thing. And then about five days out, we get the final product. There was nothing we could do.

[Greenfield] In fairness, Jason, for the mandate he was given, designed it as well as... it looks great for what it is, it's just not what we fucking asked for."

[bauer] If it was The Temple of Doom deathmatch - this works. It wasn't supposed to be The Temple of Doom deathmatch, it was supposed to be a lot of smoke and mirrors literally, because of the limitations of the original design with Great Khali in a Monster vs Monster match..."

Apropos of nothing in particular, but this is kinda nifty.

http://youtu.be/LKSy1LQwt0I

Hmm... not sure why it didn't embed, but anyway it's a clip of Vince interviewing Andy Kaufman at an MSG show in 1979.

It must have killed Vince when Andy took his gimmick to Memphis after I'm sure Vince Sr. killed the idea. That seems right up Vince's alley. 

Memory is hazy. Maybe it was Taker vs Khali but I could've sworn that he mentioned Cena.

[EDIT : Think you all are right as I would've bet that the two matches were Taker vs Khali and Cena vs Khali in the Punjabi Prison match. Taker vs Khali would've been the explosive deathmatch... which is still pretty badass]

The first was 'Taker vs. Big Show (subbing for Khali), the next was Khali vs. Batista. Cena was never involved in one.

• Like 2

Exactly, that's one thing I can't fault Dunn for.  Saying Dunn has no right to judge others' looks because he's ugly is like saying you can't critique a match unless you're wrestled or can't judge a film unless you've directed one.  Just a dumb, intellectually dishonest argument.

• Like 1

Did the Hogan Scandal ruin ESPN doing the bit of SummerSlam coverage that was assumed to happen ?

Nah, Beadle getting all pissy about Triple H supporting Floyd Mayweather killed that. I think she really the only one who wanted them on their mid day shows (at least hers).

As for the Punjabi match, it was an interesting enough concept ruined by the design. But it gave me two straight years of The Undertaker saying "I'll take you on in your Poon Jab match" so I can't be angry.

• Like 2

While I'm not a fan of what is usually attributed to Kevin Dunn, the un-wrestling of wrestling, I find that the BLAME KEVIN DUNN thing has almost become meme worthy. With that, let's blame stuff on Kevin Dunn all day today. Anything bad you can think of or anything that happens to you, blame Kevin Dunn. I'll begin.

I hear Kevin Dunn invented syphilis.

Yeah, I'll be tweeting this too. #blamekevindunn

Did the Hogan Scandal ruin ESPN doing the bit of SummerSlam coverage that was assumed to happen ?

Nah, Beadle getting all pissy about Triple H supporting Floyd Mayweather killed that.

Yeah man fuck her for calling out HHH  for supporting a woman beater.  Broads, amirite?  Musta been on her period, eh?

• Like 6

The Punjabi match definitely sounded awesome at first, and then it happened.  It's one of that matches that are good in theory but in execution not so much.  For example, I was intrigued by the idea of the Kennel from Hell match.  Cage within a cage, sure why not.  And if the dogs were pissed off and played their part then alrighty then.  But that was immediately ruined in execution.  Take the dogs out and maybe it would have been better.

Ramsey, I like your idea.

I am getting back to back calls from dumb people who don't know how to use a computer.  I blame Kevin Dunn.

I'll be sure to blame him when I inevitably forgot about the bed frame and stub my toe.

While I'm not a fan of what is usually attributed to Kevin Dunn, the un-wrestling of wrestling, I find that the BLAME KEVIN DUNN thing has almost become meme worthy. With that, let's blame stuff on Kevin Dunn all day today. Anything bad you can think of or anything that happens to you, blame Kevin Dunn. I'll begin.

I hear Kevin Dunn invented syphilis.

Yeah, I'll be tweeting this too. #blamekevindunn

I think it works better in a "Thanks Obama!" type of way.

"Gee, Randy Orton made fun of Kevin Owens for being fat.  #ThanksKevinDunn"

• Like 1