DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

I like KO, but I agree that his gear reeks of "backyard wrestler". On an old shoot interview, Bobby Heenan wisely said that the workers need to stand out from the people in the crowd, and wear gear that makes them look like a wrestler. Owens doesn't. 

While I agree in essence with Heenan's point, one thing I'd point out is that Owens' gear sets him apart in today's environment because he's the only one dressing that way in WWE-- it's not like he's on some crap indy where there are 20 other guys in basketball shorts. I mean, really, do people want him in some shitty Bull Dempsey singlet or something? Or maybe take the Samoa Joe route and pull his trunks up to his tits? what he's got going now works for him, in my opinion. I've said it here before, but the only other acceptable gear for a guy with that body style is Bam Bam's.

• Like 1

I like KO, but I agree that his gear reeks of "backyard wrestler". On an old shoot interview, Bobby Heenan wisely said that the workers need to stand out from the people in the crowd, and wear gear that makes them look like a wrestler. Owens doesn't.

I think times have changed now, though. We used to talk about how fans could live vicariously through Austin because everyone had a dickhead boss they hated. Plus, Austin drove a pickup and drank beer. He talked shit.

In 2015.. Owens is relatable. He's a wrestling fan who dresses like a wrestling fan and cuts promos that sometimes sound like messageboard arguments.

Ah so that's why I don't get Owens he's appealing to those who only wearing wrestling shirts and spend all their time on Reddit

Ah so that's why I don't get Owens he's appealing to those who only wearing wrestling shirts and spend all their time on Reddit

I would have said he's appealing to everyone who grew up on messageboards and watched super indies as an alternative to terrible WWE bullshit from the mid-2000s but yes.. some do fit that profile.

• Like 1

What I don't understand is why he's letting himself become fatter now... like, he proved he could do it in NXT, so now that he's got the bigger stage, he decides to get lazy?

Sure, but neither do Ambrose, Harper, Wyatt, Reigns, ad nauseum.

Reigns wears a flap jacket with his detailed logo.  That's not something the average person wears in everyday life.  Likewise Wyatt's Texas Chainsaw apron when he has it on.

Granted, but they still don't dress like wrestlers.  Well, I suppose Reigns does, moreso than the others, at least.

What I don't understand is why he's letting himself become fatter now... like, he proved he could do it in NXT, so now that he's got the bigger stage, he decides to get lazy?

It's a hell of a lot harder to train when you're on the road and not at the world's greatest wrestling performance center ever?

• Like 1

That was my initial thought, too. But what about every other call up that manages to maintain?

As a formerly obese-turned-skinny dude, at the end of the day, it comes down to calories.

What I don't understand is why he's letting himself become fatter now... like, he proved he could do it in NXT, so now that he's got the bigger stage, he decides to get lazy?

It's a hell of a lot harder to train when you're on the road and not at the world's greatest wrestling performance center ever?

And recovering from some kind of knee injury.

So because he's fat, he can't help but get fatter?

ETA: I don't care if he weighs 700 pounds. I'm a fan of the guy. All my point was, was at some point, it's a lack of discipline somewhere.