DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

It's also amazing Bryan didn't tone anything down and took stupid as all fuck bumps after coming back. That Dragon Suplex or whatever it was from Harper on Smackdown still makes me cringe.

As you'll all know I'm a big Daniel Bryan fan. I cringed seeing the half nelson then and still do. Difference:

regalexploderkofi.gif

ConsciousDamagedEgret.gif

vFBAowB.gif

He really should've given Steve Austin a call and talked about the importance of toning down your style after suffering a neck injury. I kind of want Bryan on Austin's podcast so Austin can ask him, "what the hell are you thinking?"

he was on austins show a while back and iirc austin did bring that stuff up.

Holy shit, I was just talking about the entrance, but the match audio is different too. There is now booing when Punk nearly gets Cena in the Anaconda Vice, but again, there's cheering for Punk later on.

Very weird and petty, saw Reddit post a video that compares the CM Punk announcement for their WWE 2K15 video game roster with both the WWE Network's vid vs IGN's original feed. It went from "THE BEST IN THE WORLD CM PUNK!!! *wild applause*" to "cm punk... *small amount of clapping*".

I know history is written by whoever is left to tell it but Goddman, pal, why go that far for a video with such a short lifespan?

Holy shit, I was just talking about the entrance, but the match audio is different too. There is now booing when Punk nearly gets Cena in the Anaconda Vice, but again, there's cheering for Punk later on.

Very weird and petty, saw Reddit post a video that compares the CM Punk announcement for their WWE 2K15 video game roster with both the WWE Network's vid vs IGN's original feed. It went from "THE BEST IN THE WORLD CM PUNK!!! *wild applause*" to "cm punk... *small amount of clapping*".

I know history is written by whoever is left to tell it but Goddman, pal, why go that far for a video with such a short lifespan?

Wow, that's just so strange, except not when you remember it's WWE. One last note about that match too. So the audio the rest off the match is ok, but there are some definite dips in audio, especially at the end.

I'm glad I still have the MP4 version. I'll have to hold onto that until Punk and WWE make amends.

Pffft he didn't main event WrestleMania, therefore he was barely above a jobber.

Honestly, this ties to the same problem that's led to the Bryan push, and into the fan reactions whatsoever. 

The biggest change Punk made in the "Reality Era" was not the "make the angles closer to real life and what smarks' viewpoint is", but rather "A three-time World Champion who's been the champ on all three brands, won Money in the Bank twice, won every title on Raw within six months, and absolutely got a huge push is no different than a Superstars jobber". End result, the endgame to be a success in the current era is no longer "make it to an upper card position", or even "Win the World Championship or do it"- even "Main event Wrestlemania and do it"- but the all important, "If you're not John Cena's spot you were a failure."  

Changing the "words to take in the lexicon"- instead of the Reality Era, just replace it with the Ricky Bobby Era of wrestling, because it's become clear now- if you're not first, you're last.

• Like 2

Pffft he didn't main event WrestleMania, therefore he was barely above a jobber.

Honestly, this ties to the same problem that's led to the Bryan push, and into the fan reactions whatsoever. 

The biggest change Punk made in the "Reality Era" was not the "make the angles closer to real life and what smarks' viewpoint is", but rather "A three-time World Champion who's been the champ on all three brands, won Money in the Bank twice, won every title on Raw within six months, and absolutely got a huge push is no different than a Superstars jobber". End result, the endgame to be a success in the current era is no longer "make it to an upper card position", or even "Win the World Championship or do it"- even "Main event Wrestlemania and do it"- but the all important, "If you're not John Cena's spot you were a failure."  

Changing the "words to take in the lexicon"- instead of the Reality Era, just replace it with the Ricky Bobby Era of wrestling, because it's become clear now- if you're not first, you're last.

This is important to remember too. Punk got a great push, he won every title, excelled on all three brands and got to do some really cool things. WWE DID botch the post-MITB 2011 booking but most people on WWE's roster would kill to have Punk's run. Even Daniel Bryan would kill to have Punk's run.

Wasn't the real lesson of Punks run that while creating some buzz and getting yourself over will move you up the card, etc. at the end of the day your successes and failures are in the hands of a few out of touch white guys who are convinced they know just what the people want?

• Like 2

Wasn't the real lesson of Punks run that while creating some buzz and getting yourself over will move you up the card, etc. at the end of the day your successes and failures are in the hands of a few out of touch white guys who are convinced they know just what the people want?

So it's just like real life

• Like 5

That was the lesson of Zack Ryder's run more than anything else. 

Even after Punk lost the belt, he got a WrestleMania match with The Undertaker and a SummerSlam match with Brock Lesnar (where he got in a reasonable amount of offense). When Punk left, he was feuding with The Authority and was set to face Triple H at WrestleMania. 

Was he going on last at every show? No. But if you listen to his supporters, you'd think he was curtain jerking on Superstars. 

• Like 2

Cena wrestles people like Khali and Kane and Big Show all the time but Punk couldn't survive a mini feud with Kevin Nash? 

I would have kept Punk off of TV longer. Having him return a month after his "I AM WALKING OUT OF WWE WITH THE BELT" tirade was a bit deflating. Having ADR cash in was even more deflating.

I understand why they didn't keep him out. In a perfect world yeah let him defend the title at an ROH show or at least appear at a couple more indy events but they needed a main event match for SummerSlam so that was never going to happen. 

His reign was pretty bad.  Cena defeating Rey Mysterio on RAW (after Rey won the shit) was even worse.  There's no defending the booking but the booking has been pretty shitty for years. Cena deals with it all the time.  Cena hasn't been going on last either.  I just don't get how CM Punk was "ruined"

Never got why they would not force Punk to defend and have him lose by forfeit. Isn't that the logical conclusion of a champion refusing to defend their belt?

it is what WCW should have done to Flair in 91.

Can you imagine the heat at GAB '91 if they'd just handed the belt to Luger and then he cut a promo about how Flair was afraid of him and ran away rather than face the ass-whooping of a lifetime?  That would've beat the shit out of "Now's the time!"

• Like 1