DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION!

DEAN

Yeah, the matches were fun, but it was really just a bunch of "Cena wrestles matches. Matches are good," strung together. And I'm not knocking it, but it wasn't a huge deal with tons of attention like the whole thing from the Vegas promo to Punk walking out at MitB was. That feels like the biggest waste since the Invasion.

• Like 1

Never knew about the next level til Jim did it.

Rusev being built up for a year to be fed to the most established star

At the risk of being out of touch, that's pro wrestling 101. Especially with a foreign monster heel.

• Like 3

Is wasting Cena's U.S. Championship Challenge on Rollins the biggest waste of an ongoing hot angle this company has had since the Angle/Steph/HHH love triangle? 

Wouldn't have been a total waste if Rollins won clean, but I'd argue that it wasn't really that great of an angle. Cena just mowed down the midcard, kicked out of all their finishers, and most of the matches weren't even that good. Even if someone did end up getting a rub, a bunch of guys would've still come out worse. I'm sure the writers thought they were doing everyone a favor by giving them competitive matches with Cena, but when everyone from Rollins to Ryder has the same match, it means nothing.

Is wasting Cena's U.S. Championship Challenge on Rollins the biggest waste of an ongoing hot angle this company has had since the Angle/Steph/HHH love triangle?

Wouldn't have been a total waste if Rollins won clean, but I'd argue that it wasn't really that great of an angle. Cena just mowed down the midcard, kicked out of all their finishers, and most of the matches weren't even that good. Even if someone did end up getting a rub, a bunch of guys would've still come out worse. I'm sure the writers thought they were doing everyone a favor by giving them competitive matches with Cena, but when everyone from Rollins to Ryder has the same match, it means nothing.

I understand in essence what you're saying but I think that Rollins. Along with Owens and Zayn are over enough and have enough "mystique" with the main roster crowds for it to not affect them, if anything just by way of the lone fact that they're something new

And I think Owens was definitely affected by it. He would've been set for months with a win at Battleground.

Semi-related, does anyone remember if Kurt Angle kicked out of his opponents' top finishers during his "try way too hard to have an epic with a midcarder" phase, or did he just let them kick out of the Angle Slam and reverse the ankle lock a hundred times?

I think the accurate outlook is--Cena was really good and worked his tail off during US reign, but his competition was either not helped or actually damaged by feuding with him.  Even if you factor Rusev's cooling off partly due to being an Eastern European heel, Owens' situation is glaring.  No way should that have ended the way it did.

The US title is now held by a guy who 1) doesn't need it and 2) will likely lose to a 56-year-old part-timer who in turn 3) may lose the WHC to arguably the best wrestler in WWE that 99% of fans don't care about.  All before the Rollins/HHH relationship implodes and Rollins goes face.

It seems too complicated/messy.

• Like 1

Sting only has like 3 matches on his contract from what I remember reading. So that would leave him with only 1 more match after the one with Rollins. He ain't winning the belt. They don't care if he loses if they did he would have won at Mania.

Is wasting Cena's U.S. Championship Challenge on Rollins the biggest waste of an ongoing hot angle this company has had since the Angle/Steph/HHH love triangle? Can you imagine if they don't book Reigns to fail earlier in the year and then have him end it in a big match at Summerslam where he wins cleanly? Instead, Reigns is dropping falls to Bray Wyatt in the midcard and winning the second title didn't really do anything for Rollins either. 

As others have said - Summer of Punk should have been huge.

Cena should have held the US title until Chad Gable was ready for his call up the night after WrestleMania. That would have been an amazing piece of symmetry with Cena's debut against Angle.

"So Chad... What makes you think you have what it takes to challenge me?"

RUTHLESS AGGRESSION!

It would never happen, but Angle coming back only to introduce Gable as his sucessor to the Three I's and challenge for the title would be pretty damn amazing. Sadly, I think Gable is like maybe a year or two from ever seeing the main roster if ever.

Rusev being built up for a year to be fed to the most established star -> established star's US title reign lost in the shuffle of a bad angle. 

The dissatisfaction with what happened with Rusev is a pretty common talking point around here, but I'm confused as to what was so terrible about it. Sure, it should have been someone other than Cena that eventually took him down, but the whole idea was that he was being built up to put someone over. That he's in the midcard doing what he's doing now is just more bad writing from WWE, not because they killed him off as a badass. He could still believably win the World title tomorrow.