DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Roddy Piper

Gonzo

One of my favorite Roddy matches.  Roddy destroys a jobber keeping one hand behind his back.

And then the infamous Rick McGraw match where Piper just beats him so badly, the ref stops the match and McGraw is stretchered out.  McGraw actually died a week after this match was taped (and had already died when this match aired) making some fans think that Roddy had killed him.

Is Piper the only one that tried to unionize professional wrestling as a top guy?  You can talk about how John Cena doesn't politic and visits sick kids and blah blah blah, but Piper tried to improve the condition of his co-workers when he didn't have to at risk to his own privileged.  He is a hero beyond the likes of most other wrestlers - maybe even every single one - and if anyone deserved to live a full life, it is him.  This is brutally tragic.

• Like 1

I don't ever really give Piper enough credit for making/keeping me a wrestling fan that he warrants.

His passing drives home how much his presence has actually been missed.

If I were ever going to change the link in my sig before, I'm certainly not going to now.

I followed his career since the late 70's from his days in Portland, to the legendary photo in the PWI Magazine of him ripping up a PWI Mag to the legendary Piper's Pit with Snuka, To his many Feuds also. I am stunned by this news. My very deepest condolences

This hurts so much.

if we're counting Warrior for the 80s, then Sting and Luger count for the 80s too, right?

Yeah, and there's several others. Ricky Steamboat, Jimmy Snuka, Jake the Snake, Jesse Ventura, Harley Race, Jim Duggan, and somehow Dynamite Kid. And lots of top tag teams, like all the combined members of both Expresses, etcetera.

Oh man this one hit hard earlier. I mean it was a hot miserable day here and then I see all this stuff on Twitter. I'm just like this can't be.

I remember telling him on twitter one of my favorite moments with him in WCW when when Buffer announced him as the NEW WCW World Heavyweight Champion after he beat Hogan at Starrcade and how much I hated that the next night they were like "nope, it was non title". I wish I could find the tweet, but Piper responded how he had never addressed that but it did annoy him too.

This one just sucks. I guess much like Teddy Roosevelt, death had to take Piper in his sleep so there wouldn't be a fight.

Is Piper the only one that tried to unionize professional wrestling as a top guy? You can talk about how John Cena doesn't politic and visits sick kids and blah blah blah, but Piper tried to improve the condition of his co-workers when he didn't have to at risk to his own privileged. He is a hero beyond the likes of most other wrestlers - maybe even every single one - and if anyone deserved to live a full life, it is him. This is brutally tragic.

If Piper really did try to Unionize, this is the first I've ever heard of it.

You know, if there's any kind of positive to this, when I learned that Piper had died, I was still at my work.  And I talked to the handful of wrestling fans I knew in my office.  I continued my work and when a 19 year-old intern asked how I was, all I said was "Roddy Piper died."  As I expected, she had no idea who I was talking about.  So I followed it up with "Do you watch It's Always Sunny?"  She did.  I said "You know the pro wrestling episode?  And then he kept popping up?  That was him."  And I kid you not, her response was:  "What? He DIED?" 

The positive is that Roddy Piper was an icon to my generation, and thanks to his acting choices, there are people who will never watch pro wrestling.  Ever.  But they will still know who he was.  And they still will be affected by his passing.

And you guys can list all the talent you want, Hogan, Vince, and Flair are the only 80s guys left who will draw any attention close to this (and Jesse, but that's for a different reason.)

I must've gone through 7 or 8 drafts to post something worthwhile in this thread, and I just can't muster up anything. This one really hits hard and all I can really add is that Roddy was one of my absolute favorites throughout my wrestling fandom and that I will truly miss seeing him. I honestly hope, though I'm not holding out, that they re-air that "My Way" tribute on Raw.

R.I.P Hot Rod.

Goddamit.

I currently live in Scotland, and although he wasn't Scottish, he's the first guy locals usually mention when talking about (non world of sport) wrestling.

For me, the 92 Rumble is made when Piper enters, his desire to get Flair, Heenans desperation "I promise Hot Rod, if you leave Flair alone, I'll say it's a kilt...." really makes his time in the match special.

One of my all time heroes and the guy that introduced me to the culture of the country where I now reside!

RIP Hot Rod. One of a kind.

WHAT. THE. FUCK. 

What a horrible way to wake up this morning. Here's a Roddy Piper moment that hasn't been posted yet which might ease the pain a little, or at least have us remember how awesome he was.

"Just when they think they have the answers, I change the questions."

• Like 1

My Sister was the first to let me know this morning. Couldn't believe it. Wanted to nip on the library computers and post this now. Right shitter. Roddy Piper was one of the best promo guys ever. Favourite match of his was with Bret Hart at WrestleMania VIII with one of the greatest match finishes of all time others would come to use. R.I.P. Roddy Piper.