DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Roddy Piper

Gonzo

I'd really like to see WWE Network do another roundtable shiva like they did with Dusty. I would think that it wouldn't even be a question.

Really, I would like to see Vince roll his sleeves and be part of it, but I'll take what I can get.

• Like 1

What's the general feeling on Pipers time in WCW compared to WWE?

Who the fuck cares? He was broken down, injured, and towards the end, way overproduced to the point of apologizing for bad Clinton jokes he had been provided on air. He still moved the needle when he first came in. 

Get your frigging priorities straight and watch this really great match vs Ed Wiskowski instead.

Watch him slam this frigging bottle against his head and draw huge.

Watch this studio brawl with Dick Slater:

Comparing his WWF and WCW runs? Come on, man.

• Like 2

Another match I love, just the way he interacts with Andre:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4c6n1_andre-the-giant-paul-orndorff-vs-ro_sport

Total classic angle with Buddy Rose setting Roddy's kilt on fire:

This isn't a great match but it's definitely a surreal one:

Also, not great but a hell of a lot of goofball fun and lots of people probably haven't seen it:

Is Piper the only one that tried to unionize professional wrestling as a top guy?  You can talk about how John Cena doesn't politic and visits sick kids and blah blah blah, but Piper tried to improve the condition of his co-workers when he didn't have to at risk to his own privileged.  He is a hero beyond the likes of most other wrestlers - maybe even every single one - and if anyone deserved to live a full life, it is him.  This is brutally tragic.

One thing about Piper is he didnt give 2 fucks, when he felt like somrthing wasnt right he'd say something and he call Vince out on his shit not only for himself but for the boys, Ventura is another one that comes to mind. Its one thing to stand up for yourself but its another thing to stand up for the boys especially in this cutthroat business

Dusty Rhodes and Roddy Piper dying. I could say a lot of stuff about how much I watched those guys as a kid and how much I've enjoyed their work. I think just saying that fuck death sums it up though.

With Andre, Warrior, Savage, Dusty, and now Piper gone, what real icons of 80's wrestling are left, aside from Flair and Hogan?

Honky Tonk Man. Just ask him.

Yeah, I don't consider HTM and DiBiase to be icons. They're instantly recognizeable to wrestling fans, but your average person the street isn't going to know them.

What's the general feeling on Pipers time in WCW compared to WWE?

"...he's a really nice guy!"

But in all seriousness, I still think his first match with Hogan was perfectly good wrestling. It got shat all over at the time, because of the stupid unmentioned non-title stipulation which retconned the entire thing into a Dusty finish; and also being on the same card with next-generation stuff like Mysterio vs Liger sure as hell didn't help in comparison. But watching the match itself as a standalone piece of business, it's very nearly as much tremendous fun as their 1985 encounters:

(Just don't watch the rematches... he's a really nice guy.)

• Like 3

As a kid my uncle Joe used to take me to the Garden to see WWF every time they came to down. I'm talking late 80s, early 90s. I knew Piper from tye WWF, but had never seen his NWA stuff or anything else. Any time we saw Piper my uncle would tell me about this crazy match he had with Greg Valentine involving a chain and all sorts of blood. We stopped going when I got older. My uncle passed and the 2 things he loved the most were wretling and Bruce Springsteen. For whatever reason I had never watching the Starrcade dog collar match. A few months after he died I bought a DVD and it was on there. I think I cried the whole time remembering him explaining the match to me. It was perfect....a memory and story of someone I loved, and lost, right there in front of me. It's hard for me when anyone passes from this era. I respected them, looked up to them, they were my heroes and gave me amazing memories and moments as a child. They also remind me of another hero of mine, my uncle, and it kind of opens old wounds. Not sure why I got mushy here, but thanks Hot Rod. It was a wild ride, and you took us all along, kicking and screaming.

• Like 8

Of all of the "Legends" left, I knew he was gonna hit me the hardest. I was right. Such an amazing performer, there'll never be another like him. It just isn't possible. RIP.

Is Hell Comes To Frogtown as awesome as it looks?

By title alone you know what you're getting into, if that sounds like something you'd be into, then yes it is.

Watch Bret-Piper again and notice that Piper, who as we all know was a brawler and not a technical marvel, doesn't so much as throw a single punch for the first half of the match, until Bret almost wins by suckering him and only THEN do fists start flying.

It's been said to death what amazing storytelling exists in that match, but that's because it was.

• Like 6

He definitely showed more than brawling in the Portland matches I've seen. He was a great all-around wrestler prior to his WWF stint.

He and Macho were the two most unpredictable characters in wrestling history. That's something I really value and one of the main reasons as to why I found Piper so fascinating not just as a kid but as a full grown. 

He was the goods in Portland / Seattle. I remember going to a Christmas card where he and Playboy Buddy Rose just tore the fucking house down in a cage match. Piper doesn't get nearly enough credit for how good a wrestler he really was. When he came to WWF, they had him tone things down to just brawling (as they did with Hogan), but make no mistake about it, Piper could fucking go. I saw him have **** matches with the likes of Ed Moretti, Lord Jonathan Boyd, and Ed Wiskowski (Col DeBeers). When you comprise the short list of guys that never took the night off or mailed it in, Piper's name has to be pretty close to the top. Whether it was the 5,000 seat Seattle Center Arena, WrestleMania, or an armory in Aberdeen, WA or Roseburg, OR the guy gave you your money's worth every night.

• Like 3

As an aside here, I am bummed that by the time I got old enough to enjoy wrestling, Portland was dying as a territory. Born just a handful of years too late. I wish I was able to see what OSJ was able to see.

• Like 1

Speaking of Oregon, I find it amazing that in the era of every single worker wanting to make sure they get credit for drawing this there and the other, that Piper would go back to Portland periodically and pop shows in the process while working for WWF and part of the deal was it not be disseminated to the Apter mags. Which you could do and get away with at the time because the Internet didn't exist.

And Piper, who had been debating with Hogan for 30 years as to who drew Wrestleamania, didn't bring this shit up years after the fact, either.