DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Roddy Piper

Gonzo

JR mentioned this on his pod:

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/roddy-piper-wwe-jim-ross-an-appreciation-of-a-pro-wrestling-icon-080115

After his successful performance at WM12, where he drove a white Ford Bronco during the elaborate presentation, Roddy and I hugged as he was about to enter a sedan for his ride from LAX to catch his flight home to Portland, Oregon. My responsibility of care-taking Roddy was near an end. 

He casually asked me what we were going to do with the white Bronco and I told him I didn't know, but why? He indicated that he liked the slick, late-model vehicle so I asked him to not leave and to hold tight. 

I sought out WWE Chairman Vince McMahon -- who was always a big fan of Piper's, especially his villain persona -- and asked if we could give the white Bronco to Roddy. McMahon said, "Of course."

Hot Rod was as elated as if he'd won a new car on "The Price is Right." We dismissed the limo driver because Roddy wanted to drive the white Bronco from L.A. to Oregon. 

Yep, Hot Rod was a unique cat.

• Like 2

According to TMZ the funeral is closed but the family has requested a national moment of silence during it at 10:30 AM, August 12 (I believe that's the correct date).

http://www.tmz.com/2015/08/05/rowdy-roddy-piper-funeral-moment-of-silence/

This article says the 11th. But I think Meltzer said the funeral got pushed back to the 12th so the Smackdown crew could stay the day after the Tapings and attend.

On a side note, how freaky is it that WWE just happens to be in Portland for this?

The WWE Network posted a pretty cool little 20 minute episode of a future program called "Table for Three" which was clearly meant to be saved for later.  Roddy Piper, Paul Orndorff, and Gene Okerlund bullshit over brunch. 

A highlight is Piper telling a ridiculous story that Paul either confirms or just bails him out out of respect. 

And then Piper starts randomly trashing Don Muraco and Bob Orton for no particular reason.

Really fun stuff.   Sadly it ends on a somewhat lame note with Piper's repeated "the half black paint won't come off" WM6 story.