DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Roddy Piper

Gonzo

It's bad enough when it's just Piper.  But I'm still reeling from Dusty's death so this is only adding to it.  Toss in Hogan's epic fall from grace and this has been a huge blow to my childhood.

I can't say there was any particular match or angle that sticks out with me.  All I remember is just how much of a badass he was who didn't give a flying fuck about what anybody though of him.  It's pretty remarkable how he seemingly got away with so much, and you know it would never be possible in today's wrestling.  But he definitely held on to his ideals to the end and that's to be commended.  It might have been almost to a fault.  Thinking back to Legends House he couldn't grasp being in that show at first and randomly was walking around at night.  But throughout history he was so damn amazing.  And I'm glad you guys put the old videos up as I fully intend to watch them.  I've only seen him in WWF/WCW and aside from the match with Valentine haven't seen much outside of it.

But damn, just think of who he influenced.  CM Punk for starters was definitely a new Hot Rod.  Ambrose has those tendencies for sure.  And of course there's Rousey with the nickname.  Speaking of which, if you can find it now's a good time to check out Piper's podcast with her.  It was so endearing and sweet to hear.  Which made it sad knowing that now because for sure Ronda was upset about the news.

I didn't grow up on Piper - I actually saw They Live before I'd ever seen him in a Wrestling match. But I still bought that Born to Controversy as soon as I saw it, and I realised how much I'd been missing out on. Takes real talent to make a match with that useless slug Hogan entertaining.

Agreed on the Ambrose comparison. There haven't been too many guys who can go out there in a punch-kick wrestling promotion and have a punch-kick match, and have it feel like out of control chaotic warfare. Most people make it feel like the same thing as happened last week. Piper had chaos in him. Pillman had chaos in him. Scott Steiner does. Ambrose comes close - at his best, he has the chaos. But not always.

Watching Piper's WWE DVD he brings up that the pin loss to Bret shouldn't have counted because the Sleeper was the original hold therefore he's "never" been pinned in WWE.

Did he ever bring that up on camera after he lost? I feel we could've gotten some more mileage out of that

I was thinking about this as one of my Roddy Piper memories.  Roddy's return as a face for the first time in MSG hosting a Piper's Pit.  Some back story, the 1986 world series is going on at the time and the New York Mets have just dropped the first two games of the world series, Roddy gives the "Don't give up on someone when they're down" speech which escalates when Bobby Heenan comes out and crows "How about those Red Sox"  This sets up the next MSG card and features a cameo by wrestling superfan Vladamir

• Like 1

I was thinking about this as one of my Roddy Piper memories. Roddy's return as a face for the first time in MSG hosting a Piper's Pit. Some back story, the 1986 world series is going on at the time and the New York Mets have just dropped the first two games of the world series, Roddy gives the "Don't give up on someone when they're down" speech which escalates when Bobby Heenan comes out and crows "How about those Red Sox" This sets up the next MSG card and features a cameo by wrestling superfan Vladamir

http://youtu.be/KfMOa5HbdQQ

http://youtu.be/esXRUKVvYfg

And the match it set up (Hogan/Piper v. Orndorff/Race) was incredibly fun, where Hogan and Piper are this incredible asskicking machine but they keep tagging each other as hard as they possibly can because fuck you, partner I don't trust.

The two of them looked like they had a ball doing it, though. And the crowd ate it up.

Chris Hardwick brought up Roddy in context with Ronda Rousey tonight on @Midnight and got some great applause. Then I watched the Raw video. Goddammit. That's it, I'm watching the dog collar match.

(pause for viewing)

I watched it and that match is so goddamn balls-out. They weren't kidding in the interview about laying into each other. Some of the forearms from Greg and his tremendous elbow drops, wow. Roddy selling like Terry Funk the entire time and punching like him too. Man, that's the cream of the crop right there. Sgt. Slaughter vs. Iron Sheik is right after this on the DVD and I'm gonna see how the blood and the heat compete.

CLf0fM5WcAAwM5f.jpg

Volition ‏@DSVolition  19h19 hours ago

Roddy Piper has passed away. It was an honor and privilege for all of us at Volition to have worked with him on SRIV. 

• Like 3

Maryland Championship Wrestling has just posted I guess the last ever Piper's Pit from July 18th.   It is really rambling and maybe a little sad at times but still Hot Rod all the way:

I'm trying to remember if I was doing anything that night, but I could have gone to that.  Had no idea he'd pass away days later, but was considering it at the time.  Definitely kicking myself now.  And that Kevin Eck is a local dude, worked in WWE as a writer as well as for Baltimore Sun.  Kind of weird the last one was so close to where I live.  It's fucked up to want to go to these shows now in case of events like this, but I guess you never know.

This is an awesome story by Woody Paige talking about him covering Piper back in his NWA days and BOBBY HEENAN is involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1LADs_ZIVA&feature=youtu.be

Every other one of those condescending douches can get toxic shock syndrome and die for all I care. Terribly disrespectful.

Was this during a commercial or something? I found it odd the way the host was leaning back on his phone and someone stuck their hand in frame to adjust Woody's jacket...