DVDVR Message Board

R.I.P., Roddy Piper

Gonzo

I envy those Tuesday night shows you saw, John. The Saturday stuff we have so much of due to Buddy Rose's vanity and desire to watch soap operas, but the Tuesday shows, where they did the big blow offs, were never taped.

Speaking of Oregon, I find it amazing that in the era of every single worker wanting to make sure they get credit for drawing this there and the other, that Piper would go back to Portland periodically and pop shows in the process while working for WWF and part of the deal was it not be disseminated to the Apter mags. Which you could do and get away with at the time because the Internet didn't exist.

And Piper, who had been debating with Hogan for 30 years as to who drew Wrestleamania, didn't bring this shit up years after the fact, either.

Piper also moved here in the 80s. He was billed from Glasgow Scotland but every Portlander considers him a hometown boy. 

My friend posted this gem on Twitter earlier. Someone must have had been smart enough to tape Piper in San Francisco because those masters were destroyed in a fire.

Features Piper ripping on Moondog Mayne, fighting Pepper Gomez at the Cow Palace, and Piper being insane.

I'd really like to see WWE Network do another roundtable shiva like they did with Dusty. I would think that it wouldn't even be a question.

Really, I would like to see Vince roll his sleeves and be part of it, but I'll take what I can get.

That'd be pretty badass. I think Vince would do it, since Hogan is obviously restricted from doing so. Maybe get Flair, Bob Orton, Paul Orndorff, Bret Hart and Greg Valentine to participate, as well.

Is Piper the only one that tried to unionize professional wrestling as a top guy? You can talk about how John Cena doesn't politic and visits sick kids and blah blah blah, but Piper tried to improve the condition of his co-workers when he didn't have to at risk to his own privileged. He is a hero beyond the likes of most other wrestlers - maybe even every single one - and if anyone deserved to live a full life, it is him. This is brutally tragic.

If Piper really did try to Unionize, this is the first I've ever heard of it.

So I did my research and it turns out I was crossing wires with Ventura.

Nevermind!

spent Friday night watching the "Born to Controversy" dvd, followed by his Hall of Fame speech.

it made me really wish more of his early stuff was available to watch. i've heard the story of him playing the Mexican national anthem / la cucaracha on the bagpipes a number of times, but i'd kill to actually see it play out in real time. 

also, while watching the piper dvd, they mention he joined the commentary team, and was shortly followed by Macho Man. my wife laughed even before the punchline of "things seemed to get a little out of hand occasionally" which made me so happy to keep her around. 

I'm late to the dance on this one as I had family in town and wasn't really on line this weekend.

Growing up as an 80's kid, I was always more of an NWA guy than a WWF guy even though I lived in Idaho and we had no native wrestling to speak of. With that said, despite my qualms with the cartoony nature of Vinnie's shows, Piper held my attention every time he was on camera. It takes a great heel to get the hero over and it speaks volumes to Pipers power when you consider how over Hogan was those first two Wrestlemanias. One of the all time great talkers and from what I've always heard, a good family man.

RIP Hot Rod.

Is there any word on Flair in the last few days?  These last few years have seemingly become a steaming rolling train of sadness for the guy and I just want to know he's sourrounded by people that will help him right now given what has got to be another long ride on the sadness train.

He congratulated Ronda on Twitter and retweeted that 50 Shades of Flair poster, so he's not totally despondent. Those Roddy MTV clips are wonderful.

Much like Sheikie-Baby and Virgil, I wonder how much of the Tweets are Flair and how much are his Management team.

I remember watching a tag match from MSG with JYD & Snuka vs Piper & Orton on WWE Classics and man it was amazing I remember thinking he cloudve easily had headlined WM 1 with Snuka, didnt he draw bigger number with Snuka than Hogan was doing on the A shows at the time?

He congratulated Ronda on Twitter and retweeted that 50 Shades of Flair poster, so he's not totally despondent. Those Roddy MTV clips are wonderful.

Much like Sheikie-Baby and Virgil, I wonder how much of the Tweets are Flair and how much are his Management team.

Or that conrad guy.

Or that conrad guy.

conradwink.gif

I remember watching a tag match from MSG with JYD & Snuka vs Piper & Orton on WWE Classics and man it was amazing I remember thinking he cloudve easily had headlined WM 1 with Snuka, didnt he draw bigger number with Snuka than Hogan was doing on the A shows at the time?

The Texas Tornado match, right? First wrestling show I ever went to.

Virgil has a management team?

Same two brothers who manage Sheikie.

For the last few months, he's been managed by Jian and Page Magen, the same Canadian twins who helped turn the Iron Sheik into a Twitter sensation. During this particular visit to New York, the Magens have booked Virgil on Sam Roberts' Sirius XM program, a WWE Network interview segment, and a corporate event in New Jersey.

And, that morning, they launched "Make Virgil a Million," a GoFundMe campaign to transform Virgil into a millionaire.

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/wwe-virgil-godundme-million-dollar-man-ted-dibiase-vince-mcmahon-072215

Of all the guys that didnt get a run at the top with the WWE Title, Piper will always be my #1. He could have taken the belt anytime in the 80's and right through to the mid 90's.

How cool would a Piper v "Crazy" Backland title match have been on a random In Your House show back in the day?

I can just see Piper and Dream rolling through the pearly gates to answer the challenge of Owen and Eddie... They are stealing the show from the Yoko v Warrior main event.

God damn this sucks.....

Hogan claims the only reason Roddy didn't get a title run was his unwillingness to lose.

Well Hogan says a LOT of crazy shit, non racial slur division. . . 

Aside from the title switch to Bret, when else did Piper do the job in the WWF? Including tag matches, did Piper ever get pinned?

I'm pretty sure that Bret was the only televised loss Piper had in WWF, in large part because Piper was shrewd enough to make his core gimmick "I'll do the job at any time on house shows you ask me to, but in exchange I refuse to job on television".

I didn't always see eye to eye with Piper's personal ideologies but I always thought he was a helluva worker. 

I always love the less is more guys that tell stories via selling and matwork and psychology rather than just hitting spots and calling it a day.

RIP to the Rowdy Scot. 

For the curious, his WCW entrance theme is an actual Scottish fight song.  The Green Hills of Tyrol.