DVDVR Message Board

Irrationally hated athletes

Vincey Greene

I was watching random Super Bowl recaps on NFL Network just now as I go about some other tasks, and I watched 35, Ravens/Giants, and I realized I still hate Kerry Collins with the heat of a million suns, even though his transgressions against the Panthers are damn near twenty years ago. Who do you have an irrational level of hate for?

• Like 1

I personally don't dislike anybody, but the LeBron James hate kills me. Can't stand to hear the words "he's no Jordan." No one said he was, but he's the greatest player of this particular crop. Enjoy it and quit whining. I totally get the hate after "The Decision," but if Cleveland's forgiven him, then it's way past time to move on.

• Like 4

All responses should go in this form: Personally, I can't stand [insert athlete's name here] for [insert pointless event from the past that has no real meaning] and will never get over it because [meaningless reactionary statement here] and will [thing you will never actually do about it].
Ex: Personally, I can't stand Urban Shocker for being born with a cooler name than me and will never get over it because I'm jealous and will carve his name into my arm to appease Urban Meyer fans.

PS: Hi, Vince.

During his disastrous year with the Braves, I gave him the nickname FUGA. You can figure out what that means.

I hate Jeremy Maclin, and always will...because of a damn punt return he took to the house in the 2008 Alamo Bowl that shouldn't have happened. KICK THE DAMN BALL OUT OF BOUNDS

• Like 1

Kirk Gibson is an egg sucking dog.

Hitter of my favorite World Series home run ever. 1984 vs San Diego - you thought I was referring to something else?

Sid Bream was my neighbor for a few years after he retired.  Didn't get to know him well, but he was a good neighbor and seemed like a decent guy.  So I'm probably a jerk for holding a grudge for the '92 NLCS.  Don't care.  Still hate him.

• Like 1

I think my hatred of Carmelo Anthony is fully rational but I'll lump him in here.

I think he is the absolute lamest dude. I understand marketability is a huge part of being a celebrity but he lays it on a little thick. His website is absolute comedy goldmine, as it's more of this awful attempt at being a GQ-Meets-Ebony thing ("life and style for the urban sophisticate) with some of the absolute worst writing the world has ever seen. They did some autograph thing at All-Star Weekend where players signed their name on the camera. He went with "This Is Melo," which is also the name of his website. It's such focus group nonsense. Also: Melo shut it down once All-Star weekend passed, but he was absolutely healthy enough to make sure he was all over one of the most visible weekends in the sporting calendar. 

I also think his whole "New York Homecoming" story is one of the all-time great con jobs that has ever been pushed.  He lived in New York until he was 8. He spent most of his adolescence in Baltimore and even got in trouble for appearing in a Stop Snitchin' video.

The ESPN Magazine puff piece about his attempts to become the tech hedge fund guru of the NBA was so vapid. There was such an insanely awful photo of him in a suit with a cigar like Jay Z 10 years after the fact.

He's just a total poser.

Also, he threw Jeremy Lin under the bus when contract time came up. Just a petty dick move.

And that doesn't even get to his basketball. I mean, he's a good player and can score in bunches when he's on. But he's such a ball-stopper at the same time.

Dan Marino. Have no ill will towards the Dolphins, but that dude always annoyed the shit out of me. How he and Johnson went out is one of my favourite non-Packers football memories.

Always hated Elway too, but that became a rational hate after Super Bowl 32.

Christian Laettner and Dieon Sanders can both go headbutt a Ginsu.

Hating Laetner isn't irrational, not hating him is.

I liked Laettner but I also like Laimbeer and Isaiah and Ric Flair. (Shrug.) He was a damn good heel.

Hey Ryan!