DVDVR Message Board

Irrationally hated athletes

Vincey Greene

Terry. Fucking. Pendleton. I was just a young man, watching his beloved Mets as they were surviving a challenging 1987... and not just the usual Met (team warfare) or 80's (drugs... lots of drugs) shit, but weird stuff, like when they had a pitcher almost lose a fucking finger to lawn care! Regardless, they had rallied and were on the verge of catching up to the Cardinals in the NL East, with a weekend series starting at Shea that could have swung the division. And that first game, Friday night, September 11, 1987, and Terry. Fucking. Pendleton. He hit a home run off Roger McDowell. ARRRRGH! Terry. Fucking. Pendleton. Killed my ability to believe, to dream, to truly love that night. So, yeah, I would say I un-heart him...

Any athlete ever who genuinely believes that they need to pray in order to win. It's dubious enough to believe that God, the universe, or whatever actually cares about the outcome of any sporting event. It's downright insane to act like God just forgot about said event and just wasn't paying attention until your prayer reminded Him, and then was all like "LOL, my bad, I was watching people get torn apart in a war. Now that you MENTIONED this, I'll totally give you the ability to score a bunch of points."

Ken Shamrock. Is there anyone in MMA who got more famous by doing less? At least Royce actually beat a lot of guys in a row, in order to cement his legacy. Shamrock's impressive victories include those times he defeated... uh... whom, again? Aside from that one-minute drubbing of Severn that one time, all his wins came from jobbers. And yet Shamrock still does that Annoying Athlete Arrogance Thing where he STILL insist's he's the best and nobody is at his level... even though his career statistics indicate the exact opposite.

Ken Shamrock. Is there anyone in MMA who got more famous by doing less? At least Royce actually beat a lot of guys in a row, in order to cement his legacy. Shamrock's impressive victories include those times he defeated... uh... whom, again? Aside from that one-minute drubbing of Severn that one time, all his wins came from jobbers. And yet Shamrock still does that Annoying Athlete Arrogance Thing where he STILL insist's he's the best and nobody is at his level... even though his career statistics indicate the exact opposite.

I would agree with you, except that Ken Shamrock is fucking hilarious.  I remember when he was a coach on The Ultimate Fighter and he brought in footage of his old fights for the team to watch, and they panned back and the only person watching was him.  Everyone else in the room was either training, talking, or doing something else, but Shamrock was totally engaged in his own dubious greatness.  I can't hate someone who makes me laugh so hard.

The only person I irrationally hate isn't an athlete but a coach. I absolutely hate Jeff Fisher. Even after he left Tennessee and is now awaiting to move to LA. I never hated Steve McNair, Eddie George or the rest of the 1999 Titans but Jeff Fisher can go to hell and die.

John Kruk. 1993 NLCS. I laughed when I heard he lost a testicle. I'm mildly ashamed now, but I wasn't then.

Paul Pierce. Never seen a more "phony tough" guy so lost in his own hype. 

Colin Kaepernick. No real reason. Just seems unlikeable.

Jim Harbaugh. Normally guys have to win something to become as arrogant and pretentious as he is...

The only person I irrationally hate isn't an athlete but a coach. I absolutely hate Jeff Fisher. Even after he left Tennessee and is now awaiting to move to LA. I never hated Steve McNair, Eddie George or the rest of the 1999 Titans but Jeff Fisher can go to hell and die.

I don't hate him, but I do find his reputation as a great coach baffling. He had that I've Super Bowl run, and only five other playoff trips in like 17 years as a coach.

Chris Paul. Flopper, whiner, with a seemingly never ending supply of insurance commercials.

I warmed up to Jeff Fisher a bit last year after the coin flip with the Redskins. Bringing all the players from the RG3 trade out. I hope he can fix Foles. Showed a lot of promise 2 years ago.

Oh and how could I forget John Kasey.

15 successful years of kicking all gone to hell because he CAN'T KICK A FUCKING KICKOFF IN BOUNDS.

He was a great kicker all in all and they shouldn't have put him in that position anyway... But it's really hard to not hate him for that.

Curt Schilling, Fuck you and your bloody sock, which may or may not have been real blood. Schilling deserves every bit of misfortune that's come his way in his post-playing career.

David Ortiz, we know you're a ped abuser and your name is on that fucking list.

• Like 2

Chris Eubank. Although he was basically playing a heel role to draw attention and make money, so really I should be applauding. But the second Benn fight was never a bloody draw.

I was never on the Brian Clough football genius bandwagon either. Mostly because I witnessed far more of him being an arrogant drunken failure than him being in his glory (lucky) years.

Hating Alex Ferguson is in no way irrational. Liking him is the height of irrationality. Roy Keane too. Twat.

Kirk Gibson is an egg sucking dog.

Hitter of my favorite World Series home run ever. 1984 vs San Diego - you thought I was referring to something else?

"He don't wanna walk you!"

I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I fucking hate Sydney Crosby.

Christian Laettner and Dieon Sanders can both go headbutt a Ginsu.

Hating Laetner isn't irrational, not hating him is.

and hating Deion Sanders makes you a lame.

If dick-riding a formerly jheri-curled, loud-mouthed minstrel is/was the cool thing, I' guess I'll be a lame then. FOH

If dick-riding a formerly jheri-curled, loud-mouthed minstrel is/was the cool thing, I' guess I'll be a lame then. FOH

I said nothing about dick-riding, but if you can't appreciate someone getting drafted in baseball, and giving up his football scholarship so he can go to practice in a limo, well you might be a lame.  Deion Sanders is a top 5 athlete of my lifetime and is also a top 5 soundbite.  That dude is kind of what I want every athlete to be, great on the field and audacious off the field.  Sports would be so much more fun if we had more Deion Sanders' running around.  I personally like fun, I'm not so sure about someone who hates Deion.

• Like 1

I just remembered I hate Donovan McNabb as I read about his DUI. There have been many overrated QBs in the NFL, none more so than Ol Chunky Soup. T.O. is playing on a broken leg and you're tired, Donny? All those millions and never bought a treadmill. FOH to the max. Fuck him forever.

I said nothing about dick-riding, but if you can't appreciate someone getting drafted in baseball, and giving up his football scholarship so he can go to practice in a limo, well you might be a lame. Deion Sanders is a top 5 athlete of my lifetime and is also a top 5 soundbite. That dude is kind of what I want every athlete to be, great on the field and audacious off the field. Sports would be so much more fun if we had more Deion Sanders' running around. I personally like fun, I'm not so sure about someone who hates Deion.

I'll never dispute his talent, but I'm not a fan of his coonery. If you like the types of dudes that set us back 30 years, then by all means continue your ride. However, this thread is about irrational hatred, and I hate Deion. End of story.

Deion Sanders is a ridiculously talented man.  But he's also a shady character.  The school he ran Dallas was a pretty major controversy that would have ruined most guy in his position.  Sanders' personality curbed a lot of negativity.  P.O.P. I guess.

The school was pitched as a means for top-level high school athletes to get into college--which just means finding ways to cheat on tests to qualifying for scholarships, and then pushing kids to sign with certain agents should they make into the big leagues.  I have little doubt that Deion would have found a way to line his wallet on those transactions.  And they lied about the academic standards, anyway--students struggled to meet even the most basic college requirements. The school building was fit for demolition--broken doors, peeling paint, bad odor.  They lost federal eligibility for free/reduced lunches and that's what finally closed Prime Prep Academy.  Did I mention that two of Deion's cohorts accused him of physical assault?  Yes, that also happened.

That someone would use a charter school to misuse government funds isn't surprising, but Sanders did a bang-up job of it by anyone's account.

And that doesn't get into the ugliness of his second divorce.

I don't hate Deion.  But like most charismatics, I wouldn't trust him.

• Like 1

My hatred of James Harden is not irrational.  I hope his wiry ass bead made of Brillo Pads gashes his face open the next time he flops like a fish on the court.

Bill Liambeer can go die in a structure fire.

Christian Laettner?  Eh.  it was total gamesmanship.   Infuriating people was all part of the plan.