DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

He doesn't like ROH and has a lot of confusing, possibly irrelevant stats to prove it.

Honestly, I read the whole article but my brain checked out when he decided ROH's tv audience didn't mean anything because it's spread over multiple viewings (and timeslots).  Yep, just like DA's audience for Impact was initially spread across a couple airings of the same show and also included (I think) people watching their DVR's or On Demand services.

I should have stopped reading when he listed the #2 wrestling promotion in North America as NXT, then admitted most people consider NXT a WWE offshoot.  Wonder why?  

I don't necessarily disagree with his point that ROH isn't really overtaking TNA as #2 (though if TNA doesn't survive and find a tv outlet, it's a moot point), but a lot of his arguments are confusing and dubious.

• Like 1

Does RoH even care about being Number 2?  Its not like Cary (or anyone other than hardcore RoHbots) has dellusions of RoH suddenly being more than a feeder for NXT anytime soon.

Why does it even matter who the #2 promotion is?  Will ROH suddenly get possession of a big "attaboy" trophy?

You get the #2 spot in the Pro Wrestling Sub-Forum of THE DVDVR Message Board. That's prime real estate daddeh!

• Like 1

Ben Miller completely contradicts every argument he makes against ROH by saying "ROH may be profitable and a have lower risk of going out of business"

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF OWNING A WRESTLING COMPANY. 

ROH makes money.  They are low rent.  Yes, their shows look terrible, but they pull that shit off. 

Truth be told, I work for the Sinclair station in OKC.  I literally am one of the people who aired commercials promoting the show here last Saturday.  I was worried as shit that nobody was going to be there when I went.  The place was nearly sold out.  Yes, it was a 600-750 seat building, but I guarantee that TNA would have booked a larger building, had less people there and lost money.  ROH works within their means and they make money.  Meanwhile TNA literally thinks they are some great angle away from being competitive with WWE. 

And you see the end result:  Destination America "fails to renew" TNA and picks up ROH re-runs instead.

• Like 3

TNA's biggest issue is that they're still stuck in the same mindset that they had when they started. Jarrett started TNA because he thought it could be new WCW and challenge WWE eventually. For some reason, that seems to still be the mode of thinking by the current management. They have no idea how to adapt their business model to reality. 

RoH has run way more shows than TNA this year and made a whole lot more money so I'm not sure how they aren't a bigger promotion other than maybe that they didn't tape any of their TV shows in England?

I haven't seen it before so I have to post it here. They actually have a pretty good sloppy brawl, and meanwhile you can enjoy the absurdity of the subtitles. It's Scotty, it's TNA backstage, it's perfectly fun to watch out of context. Not quite as funny as "YOU GOT ME IN YOU PANTS" but close.

Speaking of Tommy Rogers; does anyone else remember that cup of coffee he had in ECW? I can't remember who he faced, but his matches were quite good and Styles really put him over on commentary. He also competed in the WWF LHW tournament as well.

Anyway, at least he's at peace and free of whatever stress he was enduring at the time of his final moments. Life sucks sometimes / all of the time.

Speaking of Tommy Rogers; does anyone else remember that cup of coffee he had in ECW? I can't remember who he faced, but his matches were quite good and Styles really put him over on commentary. He also competed in the WWF LHW tournament as well.

Anyway, at least he's at peace and free of whatever stress he was enduring at the time of his final moments. Life sucks sometimes / all of the time.

He had a match at November to Remember 97 against Chris Candido that turned into a tag match between Rogers and Lynn against Candido and Storm.  I'll have to dust off the tape when I get home, but I remember it being a decent little match.  A little while ago I'd checked his wiki page to see when his last match was and found out about his LHW match.  It's posted in the thread about his passing below.

Ben Miller completely contradicts every argument he makes against ROH by saying "ROH may be profitable and a have lower risk of going out of business"

THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT OF OWNING A WRESTLING COMPANY. 

ROH makes money.  They are low rent.  Yes, their shows look terrible, but they pull that shit off. 

Truth be told, I work for the Sinclair station in OKC.  I literally am one of the people who aired commercials promoting the show here last Saturday.  I was worried as shit that nobody was going to be there when I went.  The place was nearly sold out.  Yes, it was a 600-750 seat building, but I guarantee that TNA would have booked a larger building, had less people there and lost money.  ROH works within their means and they make money.  Meanwhile TNA literally thinks they are some great angle away from being competitive with WWE. 

And you see the end result:  Destination America "fails to renew" TNA and picks up ROH re-runs instead.

I am down with the brown on this one. ROH is doing their own thing and making money while TNA is stuck being WWE light.

• Like 1

I ordered one of his shirts this morning, and for some reason I'm getting charged three times for it. So you're welcome, Samoa Joe fans.

Ha.  This reminds me of the Jericho story where he bought his action figure, and it said "Hulk Hogan Action Figure" on the receipt.  The conclusion was the Hulkster was getting all of the action figure monies.  

• Like 1

I ordered one of his shirts this morning, and for some reason I'm getting charged three times for it. So you're welcome, Samoa Joe fans.

Ha.  This reminds me of the Jericho story where he bought his action figure, and it said "Hulk Hogan Action Figure" on the receipt.  The conclusion was the Hulkster was getting all of the action figure monies.  

I liked his story about getting a royalty check for $0.00.