DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Is it just me or is there a lot more intra-office dating in WWE than usual? Off the top of my head, we've got:

1. Dean Ambrose & Renee Young

2. Seth Rollins & that NXT chick he was sexting

3. One of the Usos & Naomi

4. John Cena & Nikki Bella

5. Daniel Bryan & Brie Bella

6. Tyson Kidd & Natalya

7. Rusev & Lana

8. Cesaro & Sara Del Rey

Holy crap

They're probably fine in Tennessee. It's not a state that might recognize their buying of a house and living together as proof of a common-law marriage. 

It's Tennessee, where the most pressing legal issue is, "if your parents get divorced, are they still brother and sister?"

• Like 5

You forgot Michael Hayes & Rosa Mendes

Which is no longer. She's now with Primo Colon.

You mean Diego? Or is he Fernando?

Fernando = Epico, Diego = Primo.  I had those backwards for the longest time.

Doesn't help that only Tom Phillips bothers to keep them straight...every other commentator just says "The Matador".  All I have to go on is that Fernando is slightly taller and usually wears a sleeve wrap thing on his right arm.

• Like 1

They're probably fine in Tennessee. It's not a state that might recognize their buying of a house and living together as proof of a common-law marriage. 

However, it depends on each individual state's laws: re common-law marriages and community property, and even if they are just cohabitating, there of course can still be legal proceedings when deciding what to do with a property after the end of a relationship. 

Still, TMZ is wrong to insinuate that buying a house without being married is significantly more risky for either party than if they did it while married. Basically, if you buy a house with someone else and it doesn't work out, if you can't agree on how to deal with the property after the relationship dissolves, you'll have issues no matter the context.

Y'all are missing the obvious.  If they split up, Putin gets the house.  Duh!

Forgive me if this has been discussed a bunch before, but...

You're WCW circa late-nineties, somehow you sign Mark Calaway. What do you do with him?

Let him wander around the midcard aimlessly so that he doesn't steal Hogan's heat, eventually turning him into a sour, unmotivated shell of his former self. You know, the usual.
  • Like 2

Speaking of all that, I wrote this up a while ago but never posted it here. It's a recap from the WON cover from early 1996 well before Hall jumped:

The story is that Vince was coming out "Guns blazing" against the Turner Empire.

In the past 7 days he:

-Filed a complaint with the FTC claiming that TBS has been enacting a "systematic plan to destroy the WWF so it can achieve a monopoly." He did this on 2/8/1996, attacking the Time-Warner merger, it seems, since that was a hot topic with a lot of eyes on it. Dave didn't have the exact details and FTC claimed not to have a copy of it. He said it wasn't a single action, but lots of different things:

Nitro being put up against Raw, the shows starting a few minutes early/ending a few minutes late "unprecedented" in television in 1996, alleged contract tampering with WWF performers, snatching syndicated time slots from WWF using CNN Headline News as leverage, eating into profits by charging less for ad time to steal sponsors from the WWF, name calling on TV, and fabrication of stories about the WWF on the WCW hotline. The contract tampering mentioned Diesel, The Bushwhackers, and Jean Pierre Lafitte (there was a paragraph on that later).

-Took out a quarter page ad in both Weds and Thurs NYT Financial sections claiming that Turner had a vendetta against WWF and warning the stockbrokers about it.WCW only responded with a quote in the Wall Street Journal saying the FTC thing was without merit.

-Had McDevitt send a letter to Bischoff demanding an apology for comments on Nitro that WWF had caused a power outage in Lakeland during the 2/5 show. Bischoff had to apologize on air which he did begrudgingly. He was also forced not to talk about WWF on air which was apparently frustrating to him since he was about to do a "full court press." 

-Writing a letter to Turner complaining about blading. Which is kind of awesome: 

"Dear Ted: Since there has been no response to my repeated request and you and your pro-wrasslin' company stop the practice of self mutilation, I can only assume based upon the last two weeks of Nitro that the practice of self mutilation (slicing oneself with a razor blade) is not only condoned but encouraged. As you know, Hulk Hogan has been bleeding all over the place the past two weeks. There have been numerous references on your wrasslin programming that this weekend's double cage match will be so violent that one opponent will be "bleeding to the point of no recognition." This encouraged practice of self mutilation is disgusting, violent, potentially infectious and completely contradictory in everyway to your testimony before Congress in June of 1993 and contrary to your 1995 participation of "Voices against Violence." Notwithstanding numerous unprecedented predatory practices against the World Wrestling Federation, if you continue to promote self mutilation, I hope your stockholders hold you accountable for this unethically, guttural, potentially unhealthy practice."

Dave says that this is looking pretty desperate especially considering that buyrates are up and Vader is coming in and the babyfaces are starting to draw and are pretty deep over in WWF land, but that Vince thinks he's fighting for his life again, and he's worried about the summer more than the spring (which makes sense given what would happen with Hall and Nash). He also says that on paper, WWF seemed way ahead on everything but ratings and that by going on the attack like this, the public perception would be that WCW was actually ahead.

Dave does a lot of compare/contrast here between what Vince claims WCW had been doing and what he did himself ten years before, something that Vince at the time claimed was totally different. He said he wasn't trying to put people out of business back then, just survive and grow himself. There's plenty of listing of Vince's "sins" (like Survivor Series 87 and Rumble 88 and buying out the time slots and raiding the talents. There's some fact checking too as WCW claimed that WWF were under cutting them on ads, but "a third party" said otherwise. He also looked at Bret's blading vs Davey Boy back in December, which was suspect at the time but I think Bret's admitted to since.

Dave spent a paragraph on the Billionaire Ted skits, saying that Vince claimed these were the only way he could legitimately air his grievances, because if he did so openly, it would turn off viewers. So he could use them to inform and entertain, and he could make he public aware of what sort of person Turner really was. He claimed that Ted had a vendetta against him since Vince would never let Ted buy in. 

He also said that Vince wanted to move Raw to a time period not up against Nitro (Monday night at 10 PM for instance). IF so, Dave said WCW would just expand to two hours anyway, which Vince said he actually wanted, since it would water down the WCW product and help him win. WCW thought Vince would be hurting himself by a move to 10 because they'd lose the kids and if they expanded to two hours then they could show 15 minute matches instead of 5 minute ones.

Contract stuff:  

Diesel claims to have been offered a 3 year 750K per deal through an intermediary (Hogan wanted to bring him in as a heel, says Dave). Most expect him to take it given his age and how he has a family. Other people say it's 450K

Bushwhackers offered 120K per a piece but were still under WWF contract (WCW didn't know). Vince wouldn't let them out.

Lafitte seems like tampering. Not out til 7/7 but everyone knows he's jumping. He does his negotiation through Rougeau. 

Overtures towards an unhappy Razor (shrinking paychecks and unhappy with the Goldust feud).

Vince said that Lex was under contract when he jumped. Luger said he wasn't. I think it's come out as a handshake or verbal deal no?

Pretty interesting stuff all around, especially so early into 96, well before the NWO was a wisp of a dream. If there is a FTC complaint I think that'd be really interesting to look at, especially Vince complaining about a potential monopoly considering how the War and and how close  TNA is to the brink.

• Like 1

Is it just me or is there a lot more intra-office dating in WWE than usual? Off the top of my head, we've got:

6. Tyson Kidd & Natalya

7. Rusev & Lana

8. Cesaro & Sara Del Rey

Holy crap

Cody and Eden

You're WCW circa late-nineties, somehow you sign Mark Calaway. What do you do with him?

I'd bring him in as FUNERAL FRIGHTENER or GRIM REAPER or DEATHLY DISCIPLE, a graaaaave threat and former opponent of Hulkamania who was killed years ago by the Hulkster brother, only to rise from the grave and threaten the lives of all the little Hulkamaniacs once again brother.

He main events one PPV, whereby Hogan defeats him by leg dropping a steel chair on his head (Venice Beach Facebuster) and he sits out the remainder of his $750k Turner contract for three years. This all happens during the Dungeon of Doom run of course

I'd bring him in as FUNERAL FRIGHTENER or GRIM REAPER or DEATHLY DISCIPLE, a graaaaave threat and former opponent of Hulkamania who was killed years ago by the Hulkster brother, only to rise from the grave and threaten the lives of all the little Hulkamaniacs once again brother.

He main events one PPV, whereby Hogan defeats him by leg dropping a steel chair on his head (Venice Beach Facebuster) and he sits out the remainder of his $750k Turner contract for three years. This all happens during the Dungeon of Doom run of course

That sounds about right.

6. Tyson Kidd & Natalya

7. Rusev & Lana

8. Cesaro & Sara Del Rey

Holy crap

Cody Stardust and Eden

FTFY

• Like 2

I think the story on Luger is that his contract had just expired and the office simply fucked up on re-signing him. 

Those Billionaire Ted skits are terrible. Making fun of someone's mental illness in particular is uncalled for.