DVDVR Message Board

MARCH 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

The Demott story is so weird. The WWE tries so hard to run away from that "old school 'rasslin" mindset yet they have a head trainer running shit like he's breaking dudes in at a Minnesota barn to send to Verne in '73. Such a weird disconnect. I mean, do you really need to kick ass for these guys to make TV and do 2 minute matches and backstage comedy skits?

That's an interesting point.  The whole "pay your dues, get stretched" mentality seems like something needed in the territorial days when guys were traveling from fed. to fed. and you didn't know the next guy you would be working with...so the idea that everyone went through a kind of breaking down and a locker room culture of putting people in their place was a kind of guarantee (false, maybe, but perceived) that this person "gets it" even if you've never met them before.

But WWE is a self-contained environment.  No one gets to the main roster without everyone knowing them and without them going through the same regimen as everyone else.  They are tested and vetted and schooled to pieces.  That old guild mentality is completely unneeded there and maybe only still in place due to the company being run by people who did still come through the territories.

• Like 2

I'm not defending Demott or anyone else here, but I get why Vince would want a trainer doing awful things down in developmental. Over the past 15 years, Vince has had so many different performers leave directly after he invested huge amounts of time and effort in to getting them over. Bobby Lashley, CM Punk, Brock....the list goes on, and I could see Vince saying to someone "We have to make sure these kids really want it". It's stupid, and it's sick, and it's wrong, but the whole system seems to come out of Vince feeling insecure and hurt. He wants a developmental system that not only makes charismatic and talented performers on screen with a good dose of Stockholm Syndrome off screen. 

I didn't know you could 'make' someone charismatic outside of being the guy or woman fucking at that moment.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but i think there are plenty of people in WWE that have clearly learned how to get their personality to shine through, thus becoming more charismatic (or at least perceived as more charismatic). Daniel Bryan is a chief example of this. During his time in ROH, the main criticism that was thrown his way was that he did not have the personality or charisma to be a major star in WWE. Regardless of your opinion on him today, I think we can all agree that he has found a way to connect with the audience outside of just his skill at wrestling.

I was thinking about how insane this would be in a non-wrestling environment. Can you imagine if an employee in your office was:

- Making racist and homophobic remarks

- Kicking people

- Bringing in a gun to work

- Ripping people's clothes or destroying them

- Calling people all sorts of names and other obscenities

They wouldn't last a day.

DeMott is a sociopath.

Maybe someone on here with more knowledge of the field in of psychology can expand on that, but yeah, everything I've heard about him screams "sociopath." Even the people who are, like, "Well, he nice to me" are of at least some importance and status in the industry (Jericho, Storm)  so it was worth his while to be polite to them. Anyone else, on the other hand... 

The wrestlers who defend him saying "Well, I got treated like shit when I was training! Stop being pussies!" are the same kind of people who defended Adrian Peterson because "I got my ass whipped as a kid!"

Newsflash: Just because something awful happened to you doesn't mean everyone should have to go through it. I'll never understand that mentality.

Tough training is good. Being a dick and unsafe just because you have the power to isn't being a trainer.

• Like 6

I mean, shit, wrestling is a tough business for dudes but I've always kinda disagreed with the mentality of trainers who treat it as a shoot when it isn't.

It's funny though, I didn't mind DeMott that much in the ring but I can literally only remember three things about his entire career:

Being one of the 1st dudes (the 1st?) Goldberg squashed.

Being called Hugh G Rection. You know, like Huge Erection...HA.

Being part of the Steve Austin What thing before it became stale. Paraphrasing: 'Your name is Hugh Morrus...what? Humorous? What? Is that supposed to make me laugh? What?' Etc.

I dunno, maybe that's why he's so angry all the time.

Wait, I'm confused. You do a stinkface to a donut? You mean they just rubbed a donut on their ass?

It's an art form, really. First, you have to place the donut in your ass without smashing it. If you do that, you proceed to do the stinkface, and the donut bursts on the opponent's face.

Sounds like something that should be in DDT, really.

Demott is hardly a sociopath. That word is the next "literally" for how much people misuse it.

Severe anti-social behavior

No empathy

rage prone

Seemingly has the ability to charm power people and convince them he's a nice guy and it's all these trainees being annoying and bitter

He hasn't killed anyone though. Unless wrestling crowds count.

The wrestlers who defend him saying "Well, I got treated like shit when I was training! Stop being pussies!" are the same kind of people who defended Adrian Peterson because "I got my ass whipped as a kid!"

Newsflash: Just because something awful happened to you doesn't mean everyone should have to go through it. I'll never understand that mentality.

Tough training is good. Being a dick and unsafe just because you have the power to isn't being a trainer.

Whenever people bring up "he's old school!" instead of sympathizing with Demott, I simply find it scary that apparently in the '70s and '80s trainers were threatening women and gay people and telling black people to go back to Africa. 

Two things I just learned in reading the IC Title page on Wikipedia:

1) Big E held the title for almost half a year.

2) Dolph Ziggler won the title three times in the span of four months

That second one is some millenial-WCW level title changing.

I mean, shit, wrestling is a tough business for dudes but I've always kinda disagreed with the mentality of trainers who treat it as a shoot when it isn't.

It's funny though, I didn't mind DeMott that much in the ring but I can literally only remember three things about his entire career:

Being one of the 1st dudes (the 1st?) Goldberg squashed.

Being called Hugh G Rection. You know, like Huge Erection...HA.

Being part of the Steve Austin What thing before it became stale. Paraphrasing: 'Your name is Hugh Morrus...what? Humorous? What? Is that supposed to make me laugh? What?' Etc.

I dunno, maybe that's why he's so angry all the time.

Christian saying "I'll see Hugh later," is the only thing I remember him outside of his shitty beard ponytail and a decent moonsault for a big boy. I honestly have no recollection of any of the three things you mentioned until people started complaining about him years ago.

When I was 10 watching 2000s WCW I remember thinking Hugh Morris was a great wrestler because he did a great moonsault as a fat guy. Just goes to show how bad young people's opinion can be. I probably would have bought a Hugh Morris shirt if they sold one.

Max Landis (filmmaker) has a lot of friends in NXT and was on twitter saying the reaction from people in developmental after the news deMott was gone broke was similar to the jubilation and relief when the Navy Seals finally got Bin Laden.