DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I'm doing a late live blog over at Segunda Caida. Really liked the ADR/Kalisto match and like the women's tag as well. Show is starting off plenty good. 

http://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2016/02/wwe-fastlane-2016-live-ish-blog.html

Props to you for the Flair commentary, got a pretty good laugh there.

I couldn't believe it. That had to be the most touched up photo they've ever run with. It's like they took 1992 Flair and made him into a Disney prince. 

I thought it was some mighty fine karma when Piper for the life of him couldn't get the black makeup off for a few weeks.  I could just see him going around town with that still on and people thinking "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

IIRC, he said that Andre replaced the usual paint with some sort of industrial paint. He said he couldn't get it off after the event and had to go back through customs wearing it.

All this sounds like a bullshit tall tale

• Like 1

I thought it was some mighty fine karma when Piper for the life of him couldn't get the black makeup off for a few weeks.  I could just see him going around town with that still on and people thinking "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

IIRC, he said that Andre replaced the usual paint with some sort of industrial paint. He said he couldn't get it off after the event and had to go back through customs wearing it.

All this sounds like a bullshit tall tale

A poster corrected me earlier in the thread. Andre replaced the paint remover with water so Piper couldn't get all of the paint off. I believe that's the story Piper told on his dvd and in a shoot interview or two and that sounds pretty plausible.

Man, my feed quality is all over the place, and I even have my PS4 hardwired in. Anyone else having the same issues?

I have a PS4 and mine kept pausing and then skipping. It was fine by the AJ/Y2J match but anything before that was nigh unwatchable.

Dig the Edge & Christian show after episode 1. Has a very 90s feel to it which I love.

If anything, it needed to be MORE 90s feel. Quick cuts would probably improve the production values by about 30%.

And the Shockmaster segment wasn't terrible on paper and even in part on execution, but it needed an editor. Badly.

I really want to like this show and I didn't dislike it, because it has the potential to have a good level of fake anarchy. But glaring holes in it are glaring.

Miz was way more entertaining on the E&C show than I find him week to week.

Show definitely moves just fast enough to keep from falling flat. More misses than hits overall so far, but nothing lasts long enough to be truly annoying.

I've liked the two Edge & Christian shows so far, and Ride Along has been entertaining if a bit short. Barrett said a prophetic thing in his episode, mentioning that both him and Regal were never World Champions, when they should have been. Knowing now that he's going to ride out his contract and this won't happen is kind of depressing for me.

I obviously think Regal deserved it more as I am a bigger fan of his work and he's been around much longer, but at the same time, it's almost inexcusable with Barrett because there were two world titles for the majority of his WWE career. Yes, Regal spent time in both WCW and the WWF, so you could make the two world titles argument there I guess, but the main event scenes of both companies were impenetrable at that time, which is to say nothing of his personal issues (which I hate to even mention but you kinda have to in a discussion like this).

Honestly, I know the Nexus thing was hot, but Barrett never struck me as a guy close to being World Champion material.

Good promo, solidish in-ring, but I never saw this main event potential other people apparently did.

Being made of glass obviously didn't help, either.

• Like 2

Honestly, I know the Nexus thing was hot, but Barrett never struck me as a guy close to being World Champion material.

Good promo, solidish in-ring, but I never saw this main event potential other people apparently did.

Being made of glass obviously didn't help, either.

Barrett as a short term champ during the height of the Nexus would still be more fondly remembered than Swaggee. It would have made that period of time alot more significant and memorable, and possibly had him in a better slot now.
  • Like 1

But wouldn't it suck if the most talented one of the World Elite League of Nations was also the only one who hadn't been World Champ?

For a second there, I thought you were saying Rusev was the least talented of the Ligue of Nations. But I think you meant you reckon Barrett is the least of them, so my "One Man Gang Fowler thinks Sheamus and Del Rio are better than Rusev!" post will have to wait. Probably forever.

But yeah, if Barrett was a former World Champ, it would make Rusev look like the weak link of the Liga. When he's clearly the best/ least unmotivated guy in there.

If last year's fantasy booking had all come true and all 4 of them were former World Champs (US Champ Rusev having beaten Lesnar's conqueror D. Bryan at Summerslam) they'd be like the new Main Event Mafia. Only not as good, because none of them are Scott Steiner.

I love the board filterr changing O-M-G to One Man Gang.

I'm working my way through all the manias and I just finished #6.  Holy shit is Hogan-Warrior overrated.  I remember seeing this live on PPV.  Back then, everybody thought it would be an absolute pile of shit.  Because we went into it thinking that and it turned out to be "not awful," the match got a reputation for being actually good.  It definitely wasn't.  There are SO MANY RESTHOLDS as Warrior is clearly blown up, several times, like he just ran a marathon instead of just working at a moderate pace with a guy in his mid 30s.  At first I was like, "well, it's probably his longest match ever."  Then I remembered he had an IC program with Rude and no way did those matches only go 5 minutes.  Holy fuck, the dude was so gassed. 

Then there are occasioans when the guys are on totally different pages.  There's a point where Warrior is doing his "run the ropes and hit multiple clotheslines" thing and Hogan is working like he's never seen this spot in his life, just out of position all over the place, forcing Warrior to hold up on his running, hit the ropes to his right or left instead of across from him in an attempt to reposition, etc.  It just looked so awkward and terrible.

Finally, we had Hogan at his Hoganest, getting not one but TWO visual pins.  AND THEN the fucker had the balls to actually count the pins himself so there'd be no shadow of a doubt that he could beat this guy.  God forbid he do one clean job in five years.  Then he hogged the camera and mugged it up a bit after the loss.  God dammit.

So yeah, definitely not a good match despite our lowered expectations.

That's one of those matches I just will not watch again.  I saw that as a kid and it was one of the most epic matches ever.  Warrior and Hogan were my absolute favorites, and seeing that match it was just outstanding.  That was of course the early 90s, so now that it's 2016 and I know what I know the awesomeness of that match will surely be gone.

Or as the cool kids say "Leave the memories alone!"

Now if you want to talk about a match that exceeded expectations, Hogan/Savage from WM5 blew me away.  I was so used to the Hogan match formula, and while it was still there there was much more to it than that.  Never saw him attempt anything like the opening stretch and it was great (this was before seeing his Japan matches)  It might not have been one of the all-time greatest, but it was a damn near revelation considering Hogan.

• Like 1

I love the board filterr changing O-M-G to One Man Gang.

It hasn't actually done that for years. I was just keeping the dream alive. I've never actually typed OMG in my life. Until just then.