DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 4/14/2016 at 0:51 PM, Technico Support said:

I'm of the opinion the NWO wouldn't have been nearly as big or mainstream if Hogan hadn't been there.  But at the end of the day, it bankrupted the company, so was it worth it?

I always laugh when Hogan or Bischoff call attention to the fact that Sting didn't show up in shape that night as if that was some sort of contributing factor to how flat and awful the whole thing was.  Like they would have changed their shit booking if Sting showed up looking like Luger.

I've always thought that the whole "Sting didn't show up in shape" thing was a load of BS. The guy spent the last year and a half hanging out in the rafters, being a loner and only dropping in to attack the nWo. It's not like he had time to hit up the tanning bed and Gold's Gym. Sting looked very gimmick appropriate. 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2016 at 11:43 AM, Mistah Na1m4rk said:

I hadn't realized under recently that referee Nick Patrick attributes his non-fast 3-count specifically to Hogan's direction.  From a recent Observer:

can i get an exact issue where this was published?

not that i'm doubting you, it's just something that i've never seen officially confirmed and would love to read it, context and all...

9 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

I've always thought that the whole "Sting didn't show up in shape" thing was a load of BS. The guy spent the last year and a half hanging out in the rafters, being a loner and only dropping in to attack the nWo. It's not like he had time to hit up the tanning bed and Gold's Gym. Sting looked very gimmick appropriate. 

Yeah I never got that either. It's not like he showed up looking like Buddy Rose or something. And none of my friends and I noticed anything off about his appearance that night.

• Like 1

I always took that not in shape thing to be a less shitty way of taking a shot at whatever substance issues Sting had at the time. He's always been fairly forthcoming about it, but people don't really bring it up like they do when talking about HBK because Sting seemed to be much easier to work with even when he had troubles. 

Makes sense. The only guy I've ever really heard say anything negative about Sting was Gary Hart. In his book, he said Sting was really hard to work with and was actually an asshole to fans. He recalled a specific instance where Sting was making fun of some mentally handicapped kids in an airport. Of course all of this happened back in 1988-89 before Sting got Jeebus but still pretty shitty behavior.

Sting hadn't had a match in 18 months. Maybe they were saying he wasn't in "ring shape". Did he blow up early in the match or something? I don't remember and haven't watched it in years, but it could be a combo of that as well as whatever substance he was abusing at the time to put him "out of shape" for the match.

I am starting at the first shows of 96 for both WWE and WCW.  I am so far enjoying WWE more at this point.  They have some horrible gimmicks, but at least it isn't dominated by Hogan.  I really disliked Hogan at that point of his career.

Oh and in what Universe should Flair/Sting go before Hogan/ Meng?  Yeah I really disliked Hogan.

2 minutes ago, badfish69 said:

I am starting at the first shows of 96 for both WWE and WCW.  I am so far enjoying WWE more at this point.  They have some horrible gimmicks, but at least it isn't dominated by Hogan.  I really disliked Hogan at that point of his career.

1996 WWF was really underrated. I tried rewatching some of the 1998-late 1999 stuff and it doesn't age well at all.

From what I remember, the Kreski era was the perfect mix of storytelling and in-ring action. 

50 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

1996 WWF was really underrated. I tried rewatching some of the 1998-late 1999 stuff and it doesn't age well at all.

From what I remember, the Kreski era was the perfect mix of storytelling and in-ring action. 

What is really standing out to me is that I am into February and I have seen the WWF title defended one time on RAW and the WCW title up for grabs on every single Nitro.  Everybody gets title shots in WCW! LOL

2 minutes ago, badfish69 said:

What is really standing out to me is that I am into February and I have seen the WWF title defended one time on RAW and the WCW title up for grabs on every single Nitro.  Everybody gets title shots in WCW! LOL

That changes once Hollywood Hogan gets the WCW World Championship. 

1 hour ago, lovchunky said:

Where does the Sting/substance abuse stuff come from? I've never heard this anywhere, but have read it here multiple times. Can anybody expand? Was he just drinking too much?

He's admitted in the past on interviews about his turning to God that he was mixing painkillers with alcohol through at least the first few years of the Crow gimmick.

• Like 1