DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Hogan and the Barbarian were the final two of The Hulkamaniacs/Natural Disasters match at the 1990 Survivor Series.

I know. That's the closest they ever got to a singles match, which is crazy to me. A Barb/Hogan series would have been money. 

BIGBOOT.gif?format=300w

Imagine 3 months of that.

• Like 1

One of my favorite Dustyisms is from either WW3 or Starrcade 96. Hall starts smacking Barbarian around and Dusty deadpans, "you don wanna be smackin da Bahbarian." Then Barbarian grabs Hall by the throat and starts kicking his ass.

• Like 1

Hogan and the Barbarian were the final two of The Hulkamaniacs/Natural Disasters match at the 1990 Survivor Series.

I know. That's the closest they ever got to a singles match, which is crazy to me. A Barb/Hogan series would have been money. 

BIGBOOT.gif?format=300w

Imagine 3 months of that.

Hogan probably did imagine that and decided on the spot Barbarian wouldn't get a feud.

Watching the old Crockett studio shows, I've come to the conclusion that the Barbarian was more powerful than the Road Warriors. Just easy power, as opposed to the Warriors who would get you up and drop you on your head.

I dunno man. Animal was pretty damn strong and his press slam looked fairly effortless. Hawk looked like he struggled at times and I think it's b/c he had fairly skinny legs for a guy his size.

That top rope belly to belly is so damn impressive. A guy also has to be a little nuts to take it too.

These 3 hour Nitros are going to be tough to get through. A lot of filler, like 5 minutes of the nWo walking from their limo to the arena. So frustrating.

Music clearance on the Network is fucking weird.  Grab them Cakes and Don't Go Messin' with a Country Boy are from the same album, but Cakes is played while Country Boy is overdubbed.

And then I watched Mania 3 and almost fell out of my chair when "The Bird" by Morris Day and the Time somehow got cleared.  WT actual F?

Barb was kind of Cena-like in that you think he should only be x-strong, but then you realize he had no apparent ceiling.

There are people who seem to have limitless strength.  When I was playing football in high school, I thought I was strong as shit.  I grew up in Ohio, and our middle school actually had a weightlifting team, which I joined in 7th grade.  I moved to Virginia for high school, and most of my teammates had either never really lifted or hadn't been lifting for long.  I was not very big, but I had started lifting earlier than most of my peers so I was about as strong as possible for a 165 pound running back.  I was confident that if I lowered a shoulder on a guy, even if he was bigger than me I'd still fall forward.  One time I found a hole and no one was there but a tiny little safety, and I just knew I'd be trucking him like Jerome Bettis.  This Fucker hit me harder than I knew I could be hit, and not only put me on my back, but pushed me backi about five yards when he did it.  Strength is one of those things that you cannot tell based on someone's size.  Sure bigger guys are much more likely to be stronger than smaller guys, but there are some little ass dudes who will fuck your shit up.

Music clearance on the Network is fucking weird.  Grab them Cakes and Don't Go Messin' with a Country Boy are from the same album, but Cakes is played while Country Boy is overdubbed.

And then I watched Mania 3 and almost fell out of my chair when "The Bird" by Morris Day and the Time somehow got cleared.  WT actual F?

There is one PPV where Positively Kanyon comes out to DDP's real music, which for some reason hasn't been caught for 2 years. I can't remember if DDP is on the same show with his dubbed music or not. Probably not. It's either BATB or NBR. For a while at least, the PPVs had Jericho's WCW theme and not his WWE one dubbed in. It think it sneaks on to a handful of Nitros as well. 

Then you have weird shit like some of WCW's production tracks  getting dubbed by...other generic production tracks.

• Like 1

There is one PPV where Positively Kanyon comes out to DDP's real music, which for some reason hasn't been caught for 2 years. I can't remember if DDP is on the same show with his dubbed music or not. Probably not. It's either BATB or NBR. For a while at least, the PPVs had Jericho's WCW theme and not his WWE one dubbed in. It think it sneaks on to a handful of Nitros as well. 

Then you have weird shit like some of WCW's production tracks  getting dubbed by...other generic production tracks.

They don't overdub Bad Company on the AWA shows either (or at least they hadn't the last time I watched it). I think the Rockers were still coming out to Livin After Midnight as well.

I hate how they overdub the Rock & Roll Express music. Do they not have the rights to Boogie Woogie Dancehall? I mean, just cut Ricky Morton a royalty check for $1000 or what the fuck ever.

Barb was kind of Cena-like in that you think he should only be x-strong, but then you realize he had no apparent ceiling.

There are people who seem to have limitless strength.  When I was playing football in high school, I thought I was strong as shit.  I grew up in Ohio, and our middle school actually had a weightlifting team, which I joined in 7th grade.  I moved to Virginia for high school, and most of my teammates had either never really lifted or hadn't been lifting for long.  I was not very big, but I had started lifting earlier than most of my peers so I was about as strong as possible for a 165 pound running back.  I was confident that if I lowered a shoulder on a guy, even if he was bigger than me I'd still fall forward.  One time I found a hole and no one was there but a tiny little safety, and I just knew I'd be trucking him like Jerome Bettis.  This Fucker hit me harder than I knew I could be hit, and not only put me on my back, but pushed me backi about five yards when he did it.  Strength is one of those things that you cannot tell based on someone's size.  Sure bigger guys are much more likely to be stronger than smaller guys, but there are some little ass dudes who will fuck your shit up.

I wrestled with a guy in high school who at his biggest was maybe 160 pounds and benched 300. Just freaky, unnatural strength. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen him do it, with my own eyes, several times.

Sometimes roduction libraries are licensed to the companies that bought them for x-amount of years within x-geography. I can see the WWE production department not having rights to the prod library that Turner originally bought.

I wrestled with a guy in high school who at his biggest was maybe 160 pounds and benched 300. Just freaky, unnatural strength. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen him do it, with my own eyes, several times.

When CM Punk would do commentary on ROH dvd's, he would describe Roderick Strong as having "freaky, retard strength". 

I think they miss overdubbing ring music sometimes because they catalog certain guys and then just look out for them. Like the DDP/Kanyon example above, I've found John Tenta coming out to Jericho's "Evenflow"-lite stock music, or Pat Tanaka coming out to Goldberg's WCW music on earlier Nitros, whereas those guys usually have their WWE ring music dubbed over for them.

Owen/HHH/Goldust triple threat on RAW 6/23/97 is at first re-watch one of my favorite triple threats ever. So much was going on in the match with little dead time and the outside interference actually enhanced the match. The interference/distraction spots were well-laid out and Chyna randomly hurricanrana'd Goldust and shit. It was pretty sweet. I usually don't like triple threats, but this one was really quite fun. 

That's the Raw with Sabu vs 2 Cold, right?

Yep, which I would not call a good match, but which I would definitely call a fun spectacle. I highly enjoyed it. I have seen them wrestle in ECW too, and I recall that being quite fun. They strike me as a good pairing.

Yeah, it was awesome. Sabu's first dive did nothing, so he got on his feet, said "fuck it," and did a standing moonsault backward onto the table that STILL didn't work. Then the third dive at least collapsed the thing. 

Man, it was so great. The whole RAW was very good, actually, like it might place top fifty for best RAWs ever for me if I made a list.