DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah, it was awesome. Sabu's first dive did nothing, so he got on his feet, said "fuck it," and did a standing moonsault backward onto the table that STILL didn't work. Then the third dive at least collapsed the thing. 

Man, it was so great. The whole RAW was very good, actually, like it might place top fifty for best RAWs ever for me if I made a list. 

That was a pretty brutal episode of RAW as far as violence goes.  It also had the moment where Davey Boy Smith instead of hitting Mankind over the head with a chair, he whacked him ACROSS the FACE with it instead.

Yeah, it was awesome. Sabu's first dive did nothing, so he got on his feet, said "fuck it," and did a standing moonsault backward onto the table that STILL didn't work. Then the third dive at least collapsed the thing. 

Man, it was so great. The whole RAW was very good, actually, like it might place top fifty for best RAWs ever for me if I made a list. 

That was a pretty brutal episode of RAW as far as violence goes.  It also had the moment where Davey Boy Smith instead of hitting Mankind over the head with a chair, he whacked him ACROSS the FACE with it instead.

Jeebus yes, that was one of the most brutal chairshots I've ever seen. Right up there with Rocky bashing Shamrock's brains in. IIRC Mick at least kinda got his hand up to protect himself somewhat but that was still a steel chair being swung full force by one of strongest guys in wrestling. And the Shamrock one was insane b/c Shamrock didn't even attempt to protect himself.

The Shamrock one is the simultaneous best and worst. Best because Shamrock yells for Rock to do it and then actually leans into the unprotected chairshot. Worst because The Rock said "fuck it" and tried to take Shamrock's head off in one swing. I can't decide if I love it or if I can't enjoy it anymore because of what we know about head injuries. 

I haven't heard any time where Goldberg's theme was dubbed with the WWE version. Not on any Nitros or PPVs.

I just checked, and sure enough you're right. I just caught the Best of Nitro on the Network and saw his match against Hogan in the Georgia Dome. They dont show his entrance, but after he wins, they play his WWE music. I forgot that was a DVD release and must have just assumed that carried over to the rest of the Network. My bad dude

Halloween Havoc 89 is odd, because they overdub some stuff, but managed to leave both "Man with a Harmonica" in for Funk's entrance *and* don't overdub the opening of "War Pigs" when the cage lowers and after the match.

There's also a couple shows where they fail to overdub "China White' for the Skyscrapers.

Jeebus yes, that was one of the most brutal chairshots I've ever seen. Right up there with Rocky bashing Shamrock's brains in. IIRC Mick at least kinda got his hand up to protect himself somewhat but that was still a steel chair being swung full force by one of strongest guys in wrestling. And the Shamrock one was insane b/c Shamrock didn't even attempt to protect himself.

As we learned at Rumble 1999, Rock wasn't exactly good at not hurting people with unprotected chair shots. Knowing what we know now, that I quit match was insane.

Watching the Legends show with JBL, and Ron Simmons. Really fun stuff, and Ron comes across as a genuinely great dude. Actually, he's one of those people you never hear anyone talk shit about. A rare case.

The story about his father saying he was just going to the store, only to have him abandon his kids was heartbreaking.

Me describing how Ron Simmons, one of history's great BAMFs, saying "...and I never got over that" does not do justice to how it actually sounded.

Watching Jim Garvin's random match with Johnny Badd at Superbrawl 94. I did not realize Garvin had Precious's face tattooed on his left shoulder, presumably sometime after 1989. Living the gimmick.

Did you know he also used a version of the stunner and called it the 911?

Music clearance on the Network is fucking weird.  Grab them Cakes and Don't Go Messin' with a Country Boy are from the same album, but Cakes is played while Country Boy is overdubbed.

And then I watched Mania 3 and almost fell out of my chair when "The Bird" by Morris Day and the Time somehow got cleared.  WT actual F?

I think Hillbilly Jim owns the rights to Country Boy. He uses it on his radio show.

I genuinely can't believe WWE is running a Michael Hayes interview as part of the BHM stuff. That's just....baffling. Never mind that they have a plethora of active and former black talent to interview, but they pick the one white guy known for his racism and thinking he's a black guy? That's fucked even by WWE standards.