DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

You'd think it was good publicity...and then they deleted all the BHM content they put up. The only content they've deleted outside of the Stampede stuff that had rights issues. I could see maybe removing the little short vids and bringing them back every February, but they deleted full episodes of shows that really had nothing to do with BHM outside of having black talent on it. So strange. Still can't figure that one out. 

Anyone watch the newest WWE 24? I love how the Divas tag was all about Paige and the lengths they went to to make it look like AJ Lee's face wasn't shown.

It was actually pretty decent, though. I liked seeing the guys backstage watching the matches. Cena saying "sometime's you just have to throw the rules out the window" when it came to the HHH vs Sting match was a different way of looking at that match.

Best part for me and I'll put it in tags for people that haven't seen it is

Brock and Taker backstage

Haven't watched the whole thing yet but cursing behind the scenes Vince is hilarious.

"Fuck it, I already have my grandkids"

Re: Waltman's career, everyone's sleeping on his Lightning Kid heel run in Global. I guess ESPN still owns that footage judging from the marathons a couple years back, right?

EDIT: Huh, I looked it up and him and Jerry Lynn carried their feud through two feds (PWA and GWF). Then years later they fought in TNA and whatever F1RST Wrestling is, a King of Trios, and whatever Heavy On Wrestling is. And that King of Trios looks hilarious: Lynn/Dreamer/Scorpio vs. 1-2-3 Kid/Aldo Montoya/Tatanka~!

It's really off-putting to watch old ECW and have weird, random songs playing during the intro and the wrestlers' entrances (especially when something other than "Enter Sandman" or "Natural Born Killaz" is playing during the entirety of a match).  Maybe it's nostalgia or a testament to how good they were at picking signature intro music for all of the guys.

• Like 2

Re: Waltman's career, everyone's sleeping on his Lightning Kid heel run in Global. I guess ESPN still owns that footage judging from the marathons a couple years back, right?

EDIT: Huh, I looked it up and him and Jerry Lynn carried their feud through two feds (PWA and GWF). Then years later they fought in TNA and whatever F1RST Wrestling is, a King of Trios, and whatever Heavy On Wrestling is. And that King of Trios looks hilarious: Lynn/Dreamer/Scorpio vs. 1-2-3 Kid/Aldo Montoya/Tatanka~!

Much like with AWA, I think that WWE owns the footage but due to the terms of the original contract, ESPN retained the rights to show it whenever they want. 

It's really off-putting to watch old ECW and have weird, random songs playing during the intro and the wrestlers' entrances (especially when something other than "Enter Sandman" or "Natural Born Killaz" is playing during the entirety of a match).  Maybe it's nostalgia or a testament to how good they were at picking signature intro music for all of the guys.

I find ECW in general to be off putting now. So needlessly reckless and offensive for the sake of being offensive. Also the formatting is so BUSY BUSY BUSY that it wears me out. Plus the wrestling itself being so bad. I don't think anything ages as poorly as ECW. Even the Attitude Era, which I find pretty shitty for the same reasons, comes off better. Some of the music replacements are strange, though. Particularly Raven's dubbed theme. Every other theme at least tries to be somewhat similar to the original songs. His is some weird upbeat loop that sounds like ska horns could pop in at any moment. I kind of like Sandman and New Jack's themes.

Nothing tops The Cat's dubbed theme, though. It's hilariously bad. I love it.

I was watching some Mid-South and there's a match with Brett Sawyer & some guy vs the SUPER GREEN Blade Runners where the announcer casually refers to Hellwig being on steroids.  God damn 1986 was a different time.

There's also a match between Koko and Rick Steiner.  It's really early in Steiner's career and he's wrestling in plain trunks and boots and using his real name.  I had no idea he did that.

I was watching some Mid-South and there's a match with Brett Sawyer & some guy vs the SUPER GREEN Blade Runners where the announcer casually refers to Hellwig being on steroids.  God damn 1986 was a different time.

There's also a match between Koko and Rick Steiner.  It's really early in Steiner's career and he's wrestling in plain trunks and boots and using his real name.  I had no idea he did that.

The steroid effect can make you crazy. I was watching some AWA clip of Superstar and I think Ernie Ladd. Verne was doing color and just talking about Superstar and his steroids like a "Well, of course" matter. The clip was from the 70s, but I don't know when the commentary was from. It was still weird after 30 years of wrestling going out of their way to avoid anything steroid related.

I dunno, that's just how they update things. They don't update in order. 1998 Nitro is almost complete in the last day. I'd expect it to be done in the next day or two at the pace they're going. 1999 has double what it had two days ago. My bigger question is why do they wait so long to do any updates, and then not promote them when they do. 

I remember that too! He said something like "Rock is the more unstable and unhinged one of the duo. Of course that's the steroid effect."

• Like 1

I dunno, that's just how they update things. They don't update in order. 1998 Nitro is almost complete in the last day. I'd expect it to be done in the next day or two at the pace they're going. 1999 has double what it had two days ago. My bigger question is why do they wait so long to do any updates, and then not promote them when they do. 

In fairness, I don't think advertising 1999 Nitros is the best way to drive up network subs.

I forgot about Hogan with the toupee at Halloween Havoc in 96. Hogan with that hair style looks so much more like a jagoff. It's great.

IIRC, he was filming 3 Ninjas and wore his wig from the movie to that match.

I forgot about Hogan with the toupee at Halloween Havoc in 96. Hogan with that hair style looks so much more like a jagoff. It's great.

That match with Macho is shockingly a ton of fun. Actually, Halloween Havoc 96 is truly a bizarre show as Rey/Dean is the least entertaining match. Sports entertainment certainly trumped wrestling that night.

Every WCW show from the second half of 96 was good at worst. I think Havoc might have been the least of them, but still good like I said. I remember Luger and Arn having a surprisingly great match, and there's a FoF/Horsemen tag that isn't particularly memorable but there is one spot where Barbarian throws Benoit like 500 feet and it's insane.