DVDVR Message Board

WWE NETWORK GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Does the network work on Linux?  I got my media pc up and running the other week which runs Ubuntu 14.04 but I've not tried loading the network on it until now.  The introductory message loads on chrome in both regular and incognito, but then just spins.  Firefox gives a "media unavailable" message.  Most googling brings up older information which seems to suggest flash player being out of date or not supported in linux being the reason for the compatibility issues.  Have any of you gotten it to work on linux?

So is Starrcade 85 the bloodiest PPV of all time? By my count you have 17 (SEVENTEEN) gig jobs... completely ridiculous.

I remember renting Starrcade 86 at Blockbuster in the mid 90's and there was blood in damn near every match. I want to say the only one who didn't bleed was Nikita.

So is Starrcade 85 the bloodiest PPV of all time? By my count you have 17 (SEVENTEEN) gig jobs... completely ridiculous.

I remember renting Starrcade 86 at Blockbuster in the mid 90's and there was blood in damn near every match. I want to say the only one who didn't bleed was Nikita.

I always refer to it as StarrBlade '85.  What's even crazier is that literally a third of those blades happen before the match even starts.  I think Houston/Krusher and Taylor/Landell are the only matches without blood.

And there may be even more than seventeen since I think every person who tried to make the save in the Russians/RnR match gigged too.

Who was the guy in FMW that bladed during his intro, really obviously?  It was some big 6 man tag match.

Well, The Sandman used to do it all the time in ECW, so there's him.

I stand corrected, I thought all the guys who tried to make the save in the Russians match bladed, it was just Don Kernodle.

Here's the list:

Abdullah (bleeds before the match starts)

Manny Fernandez

Ron Bass

Black Bart

JJ Dillon

Superstar Billy Graham (bleeds before the match starts)

Magnum TA

Tully Blanchard

Bobby Eaton (gigs seconds in)

Dennis Condrey (same)

Jimmy Valiant

Ron Garvin (screws up blade, finish rushed as he bleeds everywhere)

Robert Gibson

Ivan Koloff

Ricky Morton (screws up blade, is covered in seconds)

Don Kernodle

Ric Flair

Dusty Rhodes

EDIT:  Ironist of Ironies.  One of the bloodiest shows in wrestling history and Dusty's forehead stayed clean.  Wahoo's magically stayed clean too.  And just pointing at his forehead would usually be enough.

They just talked about this one on Between the Sheets a couple of weeks ago, including Dave's corespondent saying that the Tully vs Magnum match wasn't as good as their other matches around the loop.

I wonder if that was one of the Front Row Section D guys (hitchcock, mitchell, ...).

Does the network work on Linux?  I got my media pc up and running the other week which runs Ubuntu 14.04 but I've not tried loading the network on it until now.  The introductory message loads on chrome in both regular and incognito, but then just spins.  Firefox gives a "media unavailable" message.  Most googling brings up older information which seems to suggest flash player being out of date or not supported in linux being the reason for the compatibility issues.  Have any of you gotten it to work on linux?

Honestly, never tried, but I can try it on my Mint and see what happens.

Paul Jones looks and acts like he would sell you a lemon off a used car lot and pick your pocket while you were signing the sales agreement on top of it.

He reminds me of a vindictively malevolent Monty Hall. I've always hated that dude, but I feel like I can finally put into words why I feel that way.

Cornette, on the other hand, is annoying and shrill just as IRL, but he's almost a bit too witty and clever for his own good. Also, he managed Bobby Eaton, and it's impossible to root against that guy for me. 

Also, I'm finding that I have a bit more love for Ivan Koloff than I previously did, but that I think I can't stand Baron von Raschke or that fucking Jimmy Valiant even more than I previously already couldn't. 

• Like 1

Paul Jones looks and acts like he would sell you a lemon off a used car lot and pick your pocket while you were signing the sales agreement on top of it.

He reminds me of a vindictively malevolent Monty Hall. I've always hated that dude, but I feel like I can finally put into words why I feel that way.

Cornette, on the other hand, is annoying and shrill just as IRL, but he's almost a bit too witty and clever for his own good. Also, he managed Bobby Eaton, and it's impossible to root against that guy for me. 

Also, I'm finding that I have a bit more love for Ivan Koloff than I previously did, but that I think I can't stand Baron von Raschke or that fucking Jimmy Valiant even more than I previously already couldn't. 

It's funny but I used to HATE Jimmy Valiant as a kid. He was my least favorite wrestler but I love his goofy antics now. So much so that I now own two Boogie Woogie Man t-shirts.

I've always loved Cornette but watching those old shows gives me a new appreciation for his humor and the MXE. My wife is fairly ambivalent about wrestling and will just read a book or something when I'm watching old shows. However, she'll pay attention whenever I'm watching something with Cornette b/c she gets a kick out of how he just talks nonstop for 5-10 minutes at a stretch. She's also remarked that she likes the MX b/c they look like their in synch but not in a fake sort of way like today's tag-teams are. Like they are actually doing double-team moves instead of just running through spots if that makes any sense. Plus Bobby actually has a pretty decent amount of in-ring charisma. He's pretty funny the way he smacks around jobbers and when he's interacting with Cornette.

Watching Raws and PPVs from 96, it's so easy to see how Austin got as big as he did. Just the perfect guy at the perfect time. Shawn, Taker, Foley, and Bret (when he was there) had nice years in-ring, but every time Austin was on screen post-KOTR, it just felt so different and exciting than everything else going on. Like you go from these over-the-top intense Austin promos then back to Freddie Joe Floyd vs. The Stalker or some shit. "Wait til Austin 3:16 meets Pillman 9 millimeter" would've blown away the OMG moment field if that was a Slammy in 96. Can't wait to get into 97 where the rest of the product starts to catch up.

Also bitter heel JR was hilarious, even though fake Razor and Diesel stuck around way too long.

I just got into '97 on Raw-- the change to the Raw Is War set and music/intro just happened, and that alone has improved the show tenfold. I'm a huge "presentation" guy, so I really appreciate that sort of thing-- though I also enjoy Nitro's look. Something similar needs to happen with today's WWE.

I just got into '97 on Raw-- the change to the Raw Is War set and music/intro just happened, and that alone has improved the show tenfold. I'm a huge "presentation" guy, so I really appreciate that sort of thing-- though I also enjoy Nitro's look. Something similar needs to happen with today's WWE.

I'm sure alot would agree, but a stripped down set would be great. That will never happen since "bigger and louder is better".

I finally figured it out last week - the Stage area is too bright during matches. It distracts from the ring presentation. It's one of the reasons NXT works better - the hard camera is on the opposite side, so when they go outside the ring you're still focused on the wrestlers.