DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

Loved the Dalton Castle match.  I actually think he's pretty fun in the ring (The deadlift German is awesome) but his gimmick is so ridiculous and perfect.  I mean, I never expected to see a guy work a tough gay guy gimmick in 2015, and have a crowd chanting his name, then cheering as he makes his boys ("Those are MY boys!") act as his chair.  It's probably a good thing I don't book ROH, as I'd rocket him up the card: the gimmick is money.  Also, Dalton Castle taking on Jay Brisco for his previous comments, fighting him to a close but competitive loss, followed by Brisco raising his hand and apologizing for his past would be a terrific moment.

That main event was one of the worst things I've seen in a while.  Like, I get people bagging on Cena, even if I don't agree for the whole "Cena wins" crap.  But if Cena had a match like that one Elgin had, people would be losing their shit.  That was the most awful, egotistical match lay-out I've ever seen.  It was basically 25ish minutes of Michael Elgin doing big moves, getting up from moves that put everybody else down, and again, and again, and making comebacks, and more cool moves.  I honestly can't think of a single wrestling performance in a long time that annoyed me as much as Elgin did in this match.

Another week - another 6 man that everyone else loves that I hate.

I am realizing more and more that ROH might not be for me

I think the board's closer to 50/50 on hating/loving that main.  Especially me.

So I'm sure people who read this thread know this but Austin Aries is returning to ROH on the July 17th Vegas show. It will be Aries, Moose and Jey Lethal vs Jay Briscoe, Dalton Castle and Kyle O'Reilly in the main event.

ROH has declined multiple offers from TNA to do an invasion angle.

I think TNA would have trouble finding a backyard fed that wants to work with them at this point.

Backyard fed owners are probably are used to deadbeat relatives hitting them up for cash.  they don't need another one.

• Like 2

Thought the main was fine. It wasn't great, it wasn't horrible, liked the break up of the Chasing The Dragon/Superbomb as a totally believable near win, but the breakup of the Kingdom's mega-finish wasn't timed right so Elgin had to kick out and it looked bad. Thought Elgin looked good here as opposed to a lot of the other stuff I've seen him in, and it totally reminds me of PWG tags where he'd team up with Cage or someone else and look better just because he wasn't out there trying to carry an entire match, just a bunch of showcase stuff, which is the best use for him.

But Dalton Castle is the shit. I hate he's paired with Silas Young, but they'll have to take the kiddie gloves off at some point because he actually is one guy in ROH that might be able to draw some money if he's given enough time to shine.

Thought the main was fine. It wasn't great, it wasn't horrible, liked the break up of the Chasing The Dragon/Superbomb as a totally believable near win, but the breakup of the Kingdom's mega-finish wasn't timed right so Elgin had to kick out and it looked bad. Thought Elgin looked good here as opposed to a lot of the other stuff I've seen him in, and it totally reminds me of PWG tags where he'd team up with Cage or someone else and look better just because he wasn't out there trying to carry an entire match, just a bunch of showcase stuff, which is the best use for him.

This was the thing I disliked the most but I also hated that TWICE reDRagon did the "Hold the guy so partner can enziguri them" spot and BOTH times they just hit their own partner in the shoulder. I appreciate protecting guys but you can't do that.

Oh and every single guy in that match needs to stop slapping their fucking thigh.

Agree about Elgin - especially in a tag setting. The suplex spot was damn impressive

A lot of my disapproval can be directly blamed on the announcing and if I watched it on mute (or if there was a SAP option) I would like it more

I assume I'll be able to walk up and buy a ticket now that NXT has side-drained about half their audience. Not that they exactly popped the territory for last year's show with no competition...

• Like 1

So I'm sure people who read this thread know this but Austin Aries is returning to ROH on the July 17th Vegas show. It will be Aries, Moose and Jey Lethal vs Jay Briscoe, Dalton Castle and Kyle O'Reilly in the main event.

The idea of Jay teaming with Dalton is never not funny.  I need to see this.

This week's TV was zzzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzz.  One match that was fun, though not particularly memorable, and the rest were clips highlighting their 200 episodes.  Of course the stuff they chose to highlight was bizarre: Dijak-Ferrara and Reddragon-Addiction from this year; Styles-Hansen from last fall; the end of the SCUM-ROH match and Lance Storm-Bennett.