DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

I'm torn on the end of the Title match.  It was a good match,

But the finisher trading ending with complete lack of selling from Lethal was grating.

If you attended the 13th Anniversary show in Vegas and I assume bought the tickets through ROH's site you get an access code to the view the show for free on the website. I got the email and put the code in yet to watch it though. I will not be able to attend the 7/17 Vegas show as I will not be in the state at the time.

ROH desperately, desperately needs to hire some vets from before the indie era to be agents, because there is no in ring storytelling, pacing, or selling in ROH. PWG does the crazy indie spot spot spot style better, and NXT does the slowed down indie style better, leaving ROH as this bland as shit product.

Some examples of terrible lay out/selling/pacing from BITW:

Mark Briscoe takes that ridiculous body slam over the top bump (which cameras missed), about 90 seconds later, he does a blockbuster off the apron, and wins with a top rope move. Dijak's finisher is a Burning Hammer into a GTS. And it was promptly no sold.

Jay Lethal takes a Jay Driller off the apron through a table. Also about 90 seconds later, he's in the middle of a strike battle. He also sets up his handspring cutter with...a jumping cutter from the second rope. And the idea that Briscoe popped up from taking his own finisher so he could get in place for the dumbest finisher in the game right now. Also during the match, Nigel pointed out the lack of story or strategy from either guy. Now, when you have a guy on color pointing that out in the main event, SOMEONE has fucked up. Be it the wrestlers, whoever laid out the match (does ROH have agents at all?), Nigel himself, or whoever let Nigel go out there and say that.

Matt Sydal injures his knee early on, the story of the match seems to be his hurt knee...and then he's flying all around the ring, jumping up to the shoulders of his opponent and using he knees as weapons, which even Kevin Kelly (who is pretty terrible) has to point out is weird. 

The tag titles match that was completely about setting up the next match.

Not even PWG has a guy take a piledriver off the apron through a table and get up a minute and a half later.  :lol:

ROH did the same shit on TV a few weeks ago.  Kyle O'Reilly wrestled one of the members of The Addiction, I think.  The match STARTED with O'Reilly taking a DDT on the steel entrance ramp but then he came right back and worked a full, competitive match, not even selling any kind of head trauma, wooziness, etc.  Holy fuck, there's got to be some middle ground between the tired old Cornette/Ross shit and this kind of no-selling garbage.

• Like 1

So I started watching Sunday nights ROH taping and noticed that Roderick Strong has gained some muscle & definition. Is he looking to move on, has there been interest in him from WWE or did someone convince him if he's going act like he's Brock Lesnar in the ring he should actually get into shape?

But... but... they DIDN'T SHAKE HANDS~!

Not sure why, but I pictured your avatar screaming that and I laughed.

Enjoyed BITW, it felt like the matches built up over the show from not being much (Dijak/Briscoe) to the main event being a huge deal.  The Castle match was fun, like where they're going with Moose/Alexander.  The tag title and 6-man matches were fun despite the flaws point out.  The build for the main event was top-notch.  I was explaining it to somebody and after I finished it dawned on me how really fucking good it is.  There was a lot of time put into this, and it led to a really satisfying conclusion.  Love the idea of both their parents being there, and try as he might Lethal couldn't hold back the tears.  Awesome main event, really happy with it.

• Like 1

THIS! SHOW RULED! THIS! SHOW RULED!

ROH was an unbelievably fun show. I loved the opener and the main event so very much. Nothing here was a classic, but it was all very rewatchable and a riot. The Young Bucks are to the new 10s what the Midnights were for the '80s. They're one of the best teams of all time and easily the best of their generation.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/06/roh-6-24-15.html

Screens -
247f6f417837520.jpg

65e420417837554.jpg

fc9e62417840982.jpg

848788417841042.jpg

887c2a417840959.jpg

763fb2417841083.jpg

http://http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/i66wp6eeoe6yssgp5ahqdcua9pqm1mtj

So I started watching Sunday nights ROH taping and noticed that Roderick Strong has gained some muscle & definition. Is he looking to move on, has there been interest in him from WWE or did someone convince him if he's going act like he's Brock Lesnar in the ring he should actually get into shape?

He became a crossfitter. No joke.

Well, that and his diet are working. Good for him.

Well, that and his diet are working. Good for him.

I wish I could afford to give WODing a shot. Granted, I am feeling good about my current program.

I watched last night's episode on DA. I enjoyed Strong/Nakamura more than I usually enjoy post 2005 Roddy Strong matches. That main event was kind of a mess for me. I just don't enjoy the Young Bucks super spot-fest schtick outside of PWG. 

What shows would be worth getting from that time frame? I stopped following them after Punk left.

There's a General Best of ROH thread on here that could help you. You've missed out on some awesome stuff.

Danielson's title reign

Morishima's reign

Nigel's title reign

ROH vs. CZW feud

Aries & Strong tag title reign

Briscoes tag title reign

Briscoes vs. Steenerico feud

Steen vs. Generico feud

Jimmy Jacobs/BJ Whitmer feud

Jimmy Loves Lacey

Age of the Fall

Sweet & Sour Inc.

ROH working with Dragon Gate & NOAH

• Like 1

Just watched this weeks ROH on DA episode.

Nakamura vs Strong was good. Went in not expecting much,mostly cause I have never cared for Strong.Love Nakamura and he put on a great match.

Gedo vs Elgin was a squash. Wish it had been longer.

Styles/Young Bucks vs Ropongi/Okada was meh. Do not like the Bucks. Been watching them off and on since 2008 and they haven't improved one bit. Styles was his normal boring to me self. Ropongi is fun and Okada was decent.

Not the best episode I have seen of ROH. But better than I was expecting after hearing what all matches were on it.

From today's F4W.com update:

ROH announced Jay Lethal & Roderick Strong & Moose vs. Jay Briscoe & Dalton Castle & Kyle O'Reilly, Young Bucks vs. Roppongi Vice and a tournament for a TV title shot that includes first round bouts of Christopher Daniels vs. Mark Briscoe, Matt Taven vs. Bobby Fish and Frankie Kazarian vs. ACH for 7/17 in Las Vegas at Sam's Town.

That six-man sounds very WAR-like.

Just watched this weeks ROH on DA episode.

Nakamura vs Strong was good. Went in not expecting much,mostly cause I have never cared for Strong.Love Nakamura and he put on a great match.

Gedo vs Elgin was a squash. Wish it had been longer.

Styles/Young Bucks vs Ropongi/Okada was meh. Do not like the Bucks. Been watching them off and on since 2008 and they haven't improved one bit. Styles was his normal boring to me self. Ropongi is fun and Okada was decent.

Not the best episode I have seen of ROH. But better than I was expecting after hearing what all matches were on it.

I can not possibly imagine there is a person that exists that wishes a Michael Elgin match went longer.