DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

So whats a good place for someone who knows of RoH but doesnt know anything about RoH to go before the show next week?

Just watch a bunch of videos of Dalton Castle's entrances, everything else is gravy.

• Like 3

I accidentally discovered I get DA earlier this year; however, that may not stick by the time Charter takes over for Time Warner.

Everyone accidentally discovers they have DA.  No one looks for that channel on purpose.

• Like 2

I only found DA because I was flipping through the channel guide menu bored one night and came across a show called "The United States of Bacon". That show was awesome, basically an excited fat guy getting to eat the best bacon dishes at restaurants across America. He was like the foodie Don West.

Then that show ended and I forgot I had it until Impact signed with them.

Just came back from my first ever ROH house show here in OKC.  Really fun time, and for a wrestling company that has never been here and is rarely advertised for its 10pm Saturday night slot, the turnout was pretty great.  I was fearing the show would only have 100-200 people, but it looked like 500-600 people there and the building capacity couldn't have been more than 750.  It was definitely a fringe-based audience, but that fringe turned out.

For the record, I rarely watch ROH, and I only know the main guys, but I'm a Sinclair employee and got comped, so I went with friends who hadn't watched wrestling since the Attitude era.  And they both had a blast, though the formula tends to wear on you after two hours.  A random squash would have broken the monotony of constant counters and constant two counts.  It was a great two hour show that went three hours.

Highlight had to have been Jay Lethal mouthing off with a fan dressed as Randy Savage.  Lethal knocked his hat off, revealing a Macho Madness bandana underneath and the crowd went nuts.

Adam Cole-ACH was the best match, but I was really impressed with Dalton Castle in his match with Michael Elgin.  Totally expected a thirty second squash of a seemingly one-note character, but he took his opportunity and ran with it, to the point that he got a standing ovation after getting pinned. 

I loved that within those 500-600 people, 75% were wearing wrestling shirts, and the only one I saw multiple times aside from the ROH clothing was Bullet Club merch.  That and Enzo Amore.  Not kidding.  WWE has dropped the ball not taking advantage of their short shelf life.

• Like 1

Man, it's a good thing this week's ROH TV wasn't the one debuting on DA.  Instead of 'Global Wars', maybe it should have been 'Bait and Switch Wars'.  They promised two matches at the top of the show, added in two (pretty lackluster) ROH-NJPW matches, and changed both the advertised matches.  Whitmer-Moose got changed to Moose-Kolby Corino.  Now admittedly, Moose-Corino was a particularly nasty squash match that was probably miles better than Whitmer-Moose ever would have been.  But, then they spend the whole show promising Briscos-Lethal/Dijak, and you end up with the SUBSTANTIALLY weaker Briscos-Dijak/Diesel.  At no part anywhere in this match were you ever to believe the Briscos were ever in any danger.  By the way, with Moose being in a #1 contender's match with Elgin and...someone else...can't remember who...I REALLY hope Moose wins it.  Moose vs. Jay Lethal or Brisco could be lots of fun.

Yeah according to my TV listings the show that was on my syndicated listings last night is the same as the one debuting on Destination America on Wednesday.  Not sure if that is similar to all Sinclair markets or just lucky for the DC area.    if so then most Ring of Honor fans will have already watched stuffing instead of potatoes which will really hurt the ratings if DA actually cares about that

As much as Moose vs Colby Corino is a complete bait and switch, I did enjoy watching him getting the crap beat out of him since he looks a lot like Josh Matthews

Clearly when this show was created they had no idea about the DA show because there was nothing about this to introduce you to the product.  Hell I don't even think they mentioned the ROH website.   

He is only 21 years old.  Hell probably not even that.   And if you consider his comedy matches in Japan as "wrestling" he probably has more experience than half of the ROH roster

I haven't seen those. The last time I've seen him was in 2003 or so, when he came to the ring with his dad in Zero-One. If my math is correct he must have been around 8 years old at the time.

All I'm saying is, it seems like I'm getting old and I don't like it.

He is only 21 years old.  Hell probably not even that.   And if you consider his comedy matches in Japan as "wrestling" he probably has more experience than half of the ROH roster

I haven't seen those. The last time I've seen him was in 2003 or so, when he came to the ring with his dad in Zero-One. If my math is correct he must have been around 8 years old at the time.

All I'm saying is, it seems like I'm getting old and I don't like it.

I saw Colby pinning Don Montoya on an indy show that my store manager at Suncoast was working back around 2002.

• Like 1

As much as Moose vs Colby Corino is a complete bait and switch, I did enjoy watching him getting the crap beat out of him since he looks a lot like Josh Matthews

Oh it's an entertaining squash match, don't get me wrong.  The bump into the barricades where he lands back-first was nasty.  And that last power bomb on the floor looked like it legitimately hurt him.  It's just funny to me to put this match on the same show where you do the same with your main event.  I mean, realistically, Kolby's not a huge comedown from Whitmer (I don't like Whitmer).  But it's a real molehill when you compare it to the change from having Jay Lethal and Jay Diesel in your match.

It's J. Diesel.

In all seriousness who do ya'll have coming out of Best in the World as double Champs. Honestly I want to see Jay Lethal get a run as World Champ. His 14 month reign as TV champ has been fun and I really don't want to see that come to an end plus Jay Briscoe as TV Champion doesn't sound appealing to me. If Moose wins the triple threat no. 1 contenders match I can't see Briscoe loosing the world title, all signs are pointing to a Moose title reign in the near future and why give the World title to Lethal just to put it on Moose in a month or so? Maybe the match ends in a 60 minute draw but on a three hour live PPV if the main starts with an hour left then the finish could come off pretty telegraphed. Idk whose is gonna walk out champ.

I don't know if it was me but the Destination America of the show looked better than the Sinclair version.   It was like they took the syndicated version and enlarge the screen a little bit with a little juicing up of the audio

First, It's nice to be able to watch ROH in HD.  (The local channel that shows the Saturday night show has no HD version, for whatever reason.)

Second, I'm glad Silas has apparently ditched his old flippy finisher.

Third, BJ Whitmer bores me to tears.

Fourth, Colby Corino's hair is ridiculous.

• Like 1