DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

Loved the Dalton Castle match.  I actually think he's pretty fun in the ring (The deadlift German is awesome) but his gimmick is so ridiculous and perfect.  I mean, I never expected to see a guy work a tough gay guy gimmick in 2015, and have a crowd chanting his name, then cheering as he makes his boys ("Those are MY boys!") act as his chair.  It's probably a good thing I don't book ROH, as I'd rocket him up the card: the gimmick is money.  Also, Dalton Castle taking on Jay Brisco for his previous comments, fighting him to a close but competitive loss, followed by Brisco raising his hand and apologizing for his past would be a terrific moment.

That main event was one of the worst things I've seen in a while.  Like, I get people bagging on Cena, even if I don't agree for the whole "Cena wins" crap.  But if Cena had a match like that one Elgin had, people would be losing their shit.  That was the most awful, egotistical match lay-out I've ever seen.  It was basically 25ish minutes of Michael Elgin doing big moves, getting up from moves that put everybody else down, and again, and again, and making comebacks, and more cool moves.  I honestly can't think of a single wrestling performance in a long time that annoyed me as much as Elgin did in this match.

• Like 1

I am confused about this whole Michael Elgin "he's good now" turn on the TV show.  I didn't watch the PPV but I didn't hear anything about Elgin turning babyface in the 3 way match against Strong and Moose.   The only thing I can figure is that since he is the only ROH guy in the G1 this year that you can't have him play this angle that the company sucks and disrespects him.  

Yeah that man event could have been cut a good 10 minutes easily.   And ReDragon was useless in the match.   I could have sworn I heard a "this match sucks" chant from the crowd

I am confused about this whole Michael Elgin "he's good now" turn on the TV show.  I didn't watch the PPV but I didn't hear anything about Elgin turning babyface in the 3 way match against Strong and Moose.   The only thing I can figure is that since he is the only ROH guy in the G1 this year that you can't have him play this angle that the company sucks and disrespects him.  

Yeah that man event could have been cut a good 10 minutes easily.   And ReDragon was useless in the match.   I could have sworn I heard a "this match sucks" chant from the crowd

Yeah that's my theory about Elgin as well.

War Machine does nothing for me, the April 4th match should have been a squash to get K.E.S. over before having them move on to feud with Daniels/Kazarian and REDragon.

Put part timers over your full timers?  This isn't WWE.  ;)

These matches signed for Brooklyn bring up the question: what is ROH supposed to be in 2015?  They now have weekly TV and they sort of have storylines but then they book cards like this that have nothing to do with what's on TV; they're more like ROH's old model where you book indy dream matches to sell DVDs.  It's very weird to me.

War Machine does nothing for me, the April 4th match should have been a squash to get K.E.S. over before having them move on to feud with Daniels/Kazarian and REDragon.

Put part timers over your full timers?  This isn't WWE.  ;)

These matches signed for Brooklyn bring up the question: what is ROH supposed to be in 2015?  They now have weekly TV and they sort of have storylines but then they book cards like this that have nothing to do with what's on TV; they're more like ROH's old model where you book indy dream matches to sell DVDs.  It's very weird to me.

Hanson and Rowe are so lucky they weren't born 13 years earlier:

Dave Prazak:  Honor Invades Boston, coming to the American Civic Center in Wakefield this August 24th.  The big main event will feature Low Ki defending the ROH World Title against AJ Styles!  Plus, this just in, a big tag team triple threat match: War Machine will take on the Christopher Street Connection and The Carnage Crew.  

ROH was more fun in the first 20 minutes than TNA was for its entire show. Castle-Watanabe was a ton of fun and Lethal's promo was excellent. He made himself a character babyface while still being a heel and I love the idea of him holding both titles. Main event was a blast and they're doing a fine job with Cole's face turn.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2015/07/roh-7-8-15.html

Screens -
882a9d420618081.jpg

97211d420618083.jpg

9186a5420618114.jpg

ecbcc3420618117.jpg

12bb3a420618143.jpg

FAN UP!
f6af33420618152.jpg

NOT HIM!
3418e5420618155.jpg

7f5f9e420618198.jpg

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/f6b156youxiu1iyp0i0y77i6djvr7w1n

At this point they should stop calling Watanabe a New Japan guy because I have no idea when he is actually going to wrestle for new Japan.    Also I can't tell if that "devastating backbreaker" was a really bad botch or just a weird variation because I have no idea how it hurt Castle's back 

I was going to consider Watanabe the one guy I irrationally don't like, but reading this thread I find that's not needed.  Good thing Dalton is there to make that entertaining.

I find myself having two versions of ROH on the DVR.  There's the one from Sinclair that I watch (mainly for Mandy and the Codeline) but I also watch the DA one to help with their ratings.  Not sure if I'm the only one who does this.  I wouldn't watch all of the Sinclair version, but it comes in handy in case for some reason the DA version didn't record.

After last night's show, I've determined that Dalton Castle is the perfect opening match TV guy. After THREE FUCKING HOURS OF WRESTLING already, and after a work shift, I didn't think I'd pay attention to ROH or even dig it. Thanks to his act, I was entertained by his match and put in a good mood throughout the show. ROH is so great as TNA's lead-in because of the comedy. You've got Dixie on TNA talking about making TNA the best promotion in the world and it isn't even the best one during Destination America's three hour wrestling block.

• Like 1

Count me in as another guy that didn't like the main event. I know the finisher overkill is a ROH thing, but it seems silly for your weekly TV show. Or they could have had more pin attempts broken up by the other team versus kickouts.

Castle is pretty nifty character-wise.