DVDVR Message Board

2015 RING OF HONOR DISCUSSION THREAD

Just watched this weeks ROH on DA episode.

Nakamura vs Strong was good. Went in not expecting much,mostly cause I have never cared for Strong.Love Nakamura and he put on a great match.

Gedo vs Elgin was a squash. Wish it had been longer.

Styles/Young Bucks vs Ropongi/Okada was meh. Do not like the Bucks. Been watching them off and on since 2008 and they haven't improved one bit. Styles was his normal boring to me self. Ropongi is fun and Okada was decent.

Not the best episode I have seen of ROH. But better than I was expecting after hearing what all matches were on it.

I can not possibly imagine there is a person that exists that wishes a Michael Elgin match went longer.

I like Elgin. Been a fan since I first saw him in IWA MS. 

Fuck man...that six man was so great. Styles and the Bucks are such a fun six-man because AJ just reverts back to like 2005 AJ and just flies around at a breakneck speed. 

In regards to ROH psychology, I think that wrestling becomes a lot simpler if you treat as every territory as operating under different rules.  

• Like 1

Nakamura vs Strong was good. Went in not expecting much,mostly cause I have never cared for Strong.Love Nakamura and he put on a great match.

Styles/Young Bucks vs Ropongi/Okada was meh. Do not like the Bucks. Been watching them off and on since 2008 and they haven't improved one bit. Styles was his normal boring to me self. Ropongi is fun and Okada was decent.

Not the best episode I have seen of ROH. But better than I was expecting after hearing what all matches were on it.

I can not possibly imagine there is a person that exists that wishes a Michael Elgin match went longer.

What about him do you like? 

He does a couple impressive power spots.

I find them hard to be impressive when he's doing them to 180 pound guys. Roderick throws dudes the size of Moose and Elgin around with much more power and speed and it isn't treated like a power spot. It's weird. Elgin is so bad. He's so bad that Tanahashi came out of their match looking bad.

ROH TV:  Corino acts more concerned about Adam Cole than about his own son.

Meanwhile Kevin Kelly doesn't give two craps about Addiction vs Gedo/Okada because he is too busy making it rain on Mandy Leon with Okada bucks and talking to them off camera.  Granted many many men would love to be able to do that to Mandy Leon but still a little attention should be made to the match

Wow that selling of the suplex by Colby corino was just embarrassing.   And then it looks like he was on his feet about 5 minutes later.   

What about him do you like? 

He reminds me a bit of Steve Williams. In the ring I like his style. Never seen him cut many promos so no clue how he is on the mic. 

It's interesting, to me, that I like PWG Elgin, but can't stand ROH Elgin.

Everybody is better in PWG

(except AJ Styles)

I think it's just easy to embrace what PWG presents itself to be, which is a promotion that is meant to be absurd and fun (not in the same way that CHIKARA is absurd and fun). It doesn't feel like it takes itself seriously at all.

Kelly and Corino are just awful. A couple of things that have annoyed me recently from the TV and PPVs.

- I get that it may not be their call and this may be more of a ROH criticism but they spent a lot of time putting over how great a person Jay Lethal was and how his parents raised a fine young man. Jay Lethal is a narcissistic, insecure heel who has thrown in his lot with a quasi-cult leader and typically relies on interference to gain an unfair advantage. It annoyed me that no matter the story every World title fight is spun as a noble contest between valiant gladiators.   

- They neither calls moves nor the story. Whether you like the WWE-style announcing philosophy or prefer more a play-by-play style, they do neither. During those NJPW shows, which were on DA, they did very, very little to tell you who the NJPW guys were. I mean...yeah, the audience probably has a general idea but you can set the table there. And, instead of telling stories they just tell jokes and overreact at random moments. Just awful.

I mean...all wrestling commentary is terrible. Hell, all sports commentary is terrible with the exception of like 5 guys...

I will say, though, that Corino's over-the-top rope gag always cracks me up though.