DVDVR Message Board

2015 TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/backstage-update-tna-planning-a-major-international-tour-of-china-details-inside-here

As reported earlier today, TNA has reportedly told several talents to block out dates this year for a possible China tour. In an update on this, the company is looking to launch an international tour that begins with shows in China on May 22nd, May 23rd and May 30th with two other shows outside of China.

There is a print ad listing the dates for China’s shows that has MVP, Gail Kim and Jeff Hardy as advertised talents for the show. The tour is not yet confirmed or officially announced, as some details need to be worked out. The crew is tentatively scheduled to leave the US on May 20th.

Do those details include the fact that Jeff Hardy isn't allowed to leave the US? Or did his legal status change recently? I've barely been keeping up with everything else, let alone TNA.

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/backstage-update-tna-planning-a-major-international-tour-of-china-details-inside-here

As reported earlier today, TNA has reportedly told several talents to block out dates this year for a possible China tour. In an update on this, the company is looking to launch an international tour that begins with shows in China on May 22nd, May 23rd and May 30th with two other shows outside of China.

There is a print ad listing the dates for China’s shows that has MVP, Gail Kim and Jeff Hardy as advertised talents for the show. The tour is not yet confirmed or officially announced, as some details need to be worked out. The crew is tentatively scheduled to leave the US on May 20th.

Do those details include the fact that Jeff Hardy isn't allowed to leave the US? Or did his legal status change recently? I've barely been keeping up with everything else, let alone TNA.

IIRC, it's not that he can't leave the US, it's that the UK won't let him in. Not sure what China's stance on convicted American drug offenders is.

Billy Corgan (of the Smashing Pumpkins) has joined TNA. He'll be doing producing, writing and talent development.

Hoo boy... from the Variety story on it

Corgan, leader of the innovative rock group Smashing Pumpkins, has joined TNA Impact Wrestling as senior producer of creative and talent development and, as such, will have a strong hand guiding such luminaries as Kurt Angle, Bobby Roode and Jeff Hardy and their exploits on TNA’s flagship “Impact Wrestling” program that has airs on Discovery Communications’ Destination America cable network. Rather than trotting out the same old “heels” and “babyfaces” – pro-wrestling argot for “bad guys” and good guys” – Corgan thinks fans are ready for new stories.

“There is a tremendous opportunity to go into really fresh, new directions,” Corgan explained in an interview. Having characters who explore race or transgender issues is certainly a possibility, he suggested. “There are ways to explore those themes in ways that are productive, create new stars and show that value-based ‘babyfaces’, no matter what their background, no matter where they come from, can draw new audiences and inspire people in new ways.”

Do I think this will be good? No.

Do I think this fits their network (Destination America) in the slightest? No.

Do I think a company called TNA doing socially progressive wrestling is completely ridiculous? Absolutely.

I'll watch it though, the train wreck possibility is so real. Maybe MVP can be a down low character, after his prison stint taught him about the joys of man cock.

EDIT: TO BE CLEAR, I have no idea if MVP ever enjoyed sweet dude meat.

• Like 1

It doesn't matter if people give a shit about Corgan himself as long as he good ideas. I don't know why people are hating on this so much, the guy obviously is a giant wrestling fan, enough of one that he opened his own promotion on his own dime. I'd much rather hear from people who are familiar with his promotion Resistance Pro than some more "LOL TNA" comments.

I don't know.  There are so many capable, talented people who have a vast knowledge of the wrestling business they could have hired.  Jim Ross, Cornette, Gabe Syplowski, Kevin Sullivan.  Years of booking and talent relations experience.  Instead they go with a guy who ran an 1 show a month indy for a few months.  Who knows if anyone else would have seriously considered signing on with them, but I don't see how you can see this as a game changer or positive move.  

While I know it isn't coming from the same people, but I'm laughing my ass off at people saying Corgan isn't relevant anymore, while others are saying to bring in guys like Cornette and Sullivan.

So you are starting a wrestling company.   If you pick Billy Corgan as your main creative/talent resource over Cornette or Sullivan, then you are an idiot.  It has nothing to do with being relevant, it has everything to do with running the business.