DVDVR Message Board

2015 TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

Ross & Cornette have both expressed that they have no interest in working for TNA, Sullivan doesn't seem like he's interested in it either & Gabe is busy with his own shit. 3 of them are retreads from decades ago and in the case of Cornette and Ross they have some really outdated ideas that they continually harp on in their podcasts.

While I know it isn't coming from the same people, but I'm laughing my ass off at people saying Corgan isn't relevant anymore, while others are saying to bring in guys like Cornette and Sullivan.

So you are starting a wrestling company.   If you pick Billy Corgan as your main creative/talent resource over Cornette or Sullivan, then you are an idiot.  It has nothing to do with being relevant, it has everything to do with running the business.  

I was originally talking about the polar opposites of those two comments, but if you're starting a wrestling company, and your two options to be in charge are Cornette and Sullivan, you're better off spending your money elsewhere.  I think I'd rather have Corgan in charge with Cornette and/or Sullivan as advisors or members of the booking team.

This is a publicity stunt, nothing more. This is gonna get TNA some free press. Hell, Corgan even has a tour already planned, so it's not like he's gonna jump in with both feet. This will get TNA talked about for a day, which is a day more than they're getting talked about now.

Billy Corgan (of the Smashing Pumpkins) has joined TNA. He'll be doing producing, writing and talent development.

Hoo boy... from the Variety story on it

Corgan, leader of the innovative rock group Smashing Pumpkins, has joined TNA Impact Wrestling as senior producer of creative and talent development and, as such, will have a strong hand guiding such luminaries as Kurt Angle, Bobby Roode and Jeff Hardy and their exploits on TNA’s flagship “Impact Wrestling” program that has airs on Discovery Communications’ Destination America cable network. Rather than trotting out the same old “heels” and “babyfaces” – pro-wrestling argot for “bad guys” and good guys” – Corgan thinks fans are ready for new stories.

“There is a tremendous opportunity to go into really fresh, new directions,” Corgan explained in an interview. Having characters who explore race or transgender issues is certainly a possibility, he suggested. “There are ways to explore those themes in ways that are productive, create new stars and show that value-based ‘babyfaces’, no matter what their background, no matter where they come from, can draw new audiences and inspire people in new ways.”

"Luminaries"???????

As mentioned earlier pro wrestling has a terrible track record of handling progressive issues. Not even 15 years ago TNA was running homophobic, racist, xenophobic, and misogynistic angles. The terrible (in real life) handling of the women and the minority talent (discrimination lawsuits left and right) does not tell me that TNA is going to do this correctly. With Bill Corgan's 'progressive' angles filtered through Dixie's conservative mindset...TNA will be off-the-air by the end of this year.