DVDVR Message Board

2015 TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

To say the honeymoon between regarding Destination America and TNA is over is an understatement. It’s is not a secret within the Destination America company that they are regretting making the deal, which is why all the shoulder programs that were supposed to be part of the deal are now gone. I’m not sure the reasons, as the ratings are way above the network average, but when you watch the show, the ads don’t look impressive and it was a multi-million dollar commitment.

-WON

You know things are bad when even the people who gave PSYCHIC BIGFOOT~! a show don't think you're good enough for them.

• Like 1

Dixie will bring in Takeru Kobayashi after misremembering a conversation with someone about the greatest Japanese wrestlers of all time.

Kobayashi vs. Joey Chestnuts in an eating competition in the Impact Zone.

Seriously though: It's hard to feel sorry for Destination America here.

They could have researched TNA before signing the deal. They could have talked to Spike. Or any wrestling journalist. Or anyone in wrestling. Or even spent a few hours on one of the TNA threads on here. And what would they have learned? Basically: TNA will probably do OKish ratings, but the company is a mess, Dixie Carter is incompetent and they are never going to get beyond a certain level. Instead they apparently signed this deal thinking Impact would do amazing things for them.

Far be it from me to tell a TV executive to how to do his job, but you think you'd do a google search on something before investing literally millions and millions of dollars into it.

I guess they were too busy with mind-controlling monsters, BBQ and evil Amish ghosts to think about this shit.

In fairness to TNA, I had never even heard of Destination America before all this and now I genuinely want to watch some of their shows.

Particularly Ghost Stalkers.

That's confusing; are the ghosts doing the stalking or are they the ones being stalked?

Seriously though: It's hard to feel sorry for Destination America here.

They could have researched TNA before signing the deal. They could have talked to Spike. Or any wrestling journalist. Or anyone in wrestling. Or even spent a few hours on one of the TNA threads on here. And what would they have learned? Basically: TNA will probably do OKish ratings, but the company is a mess, Dixie Carter is incompetent and they are never going to get beyond a certain level. Instead they apparently signed this deal thinking Impact would do amazing things for them.

Far be it from me to tell a TV executive to how to do his job, but you think you'd do a google search on something before investing literally millions and millions of dollars into it.

I guess they were too busy with mind-controlling monsters, BBQ and evil Amish ghosts to think about this shit.

From what Meltzer has written, I think the issues are that DA believed a much larger portion of TNA's Spike audience would follow them to the channel, and that DA hoped the show would lure better advertisers.  It sounds like it's the same thing that has done Smackdown in with a couple networks.  The show is attracting more viewers than the network's other shows, but the rights fee is much larger and the advertising revenue isn't what they hoped.  The general complaint against wrestling shows isn't that they don't attract viewers.  It's that those viewers don't stay for the station's other shows, and the viewer demographics don't appeal to advertisers (or the advertiser doesn't want to be associated with wrestling).  Thus, you sell ads but you don't attract the most desirable advertisers and you end up charging less for the ads you do sell.  Ad spots during wrestling shows generally sell for less than an ad on a mainstream show with the same number of total viewers.  It's a very soft market, apparently.

Apparently Dixie told Austin she's so mad about news leaks she's considering subjecting employees to lie detector tests to find out who's talking.

This is the most amazing thing ever and I want it filmed and put on an episode of iMPACT.

Dixie Carter truly is a woman who would spend $1 million to find out the answer to the $10,000 question.

In fairness to TNA, I had never even heard of Destination America before all this and now I genuinely want to watch some of their shows.

That's confusing; are the ghosts doing the stalking or are they the ones being stalked?

tumblr_inline_ngt1tyvoZM1t67qit.jpg

• Like 1

Neither.  The show is a comedy about six single friends who hang out on a coffee shop together.

• Like 1