DVDVR Message Board

2015 TNA DISCUSSION THREAD

Well they announced they re-signed Angelina Love

EVERYTHING IS BETTER NOW!

Taryn Terrell, Tigre Uno, Tyrus, MVP, and Spud also renewed.  And Matt Hardy signed full-time for whatever that's worth in 2015.

Also, this:

Happy to announce Bobby Roode is staying in #TNA for another year!

https://twitter.com/JohnGaburick/status/576127843450679298

To set record straight... I never had to re sign anything... I'm honoring my contract that is already in place. #Loyalty

https://twitter.com/REALBobbyRoode/status/576172611304062976

Rumorz of Live shows returing this spring

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/backstage-update-tna-live-events-expected-to-return-this-june-details-inside-here

Source: The Wrestling Observer Newsletter

The current plan for TNA, as previously teased by Bill Ryder, is to start house shows back up in June.

The house show scheduled won’t be as regular or widespread as the previous tours, but the shows can be profitable by running smaller venues with the live production scaled back a bit. It will allow some of the promotion’s main talent to work more dates with the company and get them away from potentially competitive indie shows.

Bobby Lashley, Robbie E, and Bram recently announced as re-signed.

ShopTNA.com

Matches Include

Sting's return to TNA Wrestling in 2005

World Title Match: Sting vs. Kurt Angle

Steel Cage Match: Sting vs. Mick Foley

Sting vs. "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

Sting vs. Mr. Anderson vs. Rob Van Dam

World Title Match: Sting vs. Jeff Hardy

Sting vs. "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan

Sting's induction into the TNA Hall Of Fame and much more!

Little skimpy on the contents and the details tab of course, offers no details at all.

"TNA Wrestling presents The Best Of Sting"  "Featuring the stars of Impact Wrestling"

The fact this company still can't settle on its branding is so ridiculous.  At least there's nothing else titled "The Best Of Sting" to compete with.

Bobby Lashley, Robbie E, and Bram recently announced as re-signed.

ShopTNA.com

Matches Include

Sting's return to TNA Wrestling in 2005

World Title Match: Sting vs. Kurt Angle

Steel Cage Match: Sting vs. Mick Foley

Sting vs. "The Nature Boy" Ric Flair

Sting vs. Mr. Anderson vs. Rob Van Dam

World Title Match: Sting vs. Jeff Hardy

Sting vs. "The Immortal" Hulk Hogan

Sting's induction into the TNA Hall Of Fame and much more!

Little skimpy on the contents and the details tab of course, offers no details at all.

"TNA Wrestling presents The Best Of Sting"  "Featuring the stars of Impact Wrestling"

The fact this company still can't settle on its branding is so ridiculous.  At least there's nothing else titled "The Best Of Sting" to compete with.

This has been gone over many times. TNA Wrestling is the company, Impact Wrestling the show.

TNA:Impact::WWE:Raw

Meltzer reported today that Destination America cancelled all of TNA's Saturday programming which I think is the Impact replay and best of specials.  Lasted two months longer than I thought it would.

This has been gone over many times. TNA Wrestling is the company, Impact Wrestling the show.

TNA:Impact::WWE:Raw

That's not how it's executed though.  Website is ImpactWrestling.com.  Twitter is @ImpactWrestling.  The TNA logo doesn't appear prominently anywhere on the Impact Wrestling TV show except for the ending copyright graphic.  The Impact Wrestling logo has replaced the TNA logo on their merchandise.  Guys often use TNA and Impact Wrestling interchangeably in promos.  It's really sloppy.

Even when WWE had a hard brand split they never substituted 'Raw' or 'SmackDown' over 'WWE' or presented the individual show logos more prominently than 'WWE'.

I wonder if that title match w/ Hardy is the "Sick of Drugs" one.
#Botchamania

Probably the match that led to that one where Sting returned and beat Hardy for the World Title on Impact with no build.  Which is on one of Hardy's DVDs.  Most of this stuff has probably already been released before since there aren't exactly any Sting in TNA rarities.  He did a few house shows but I doubt they taped any of those and they probably didn't think to try to include any Memphis or WWA tour footage.

As usual with this company, it makes no sense. They kind of came out and said they were impact wrestling a few yesrs ago and then not really. But "Impact Wrestling" is so much better than TNA and there can be no branding bullshit argument. Actually there is TNA branding. Its also called "Skinamax".

Imagine trying to sell TNA to a network. Maybe out of 5 decision makers one of them "gets" wrestling, and surely at least two are stereo-typical anti wrestling.

Pro person-Lets put on some wrasslin. 

anti- Wrestling is dumb, stereo type.  

pro- we could get a million viewers

anti- Ok, WWF?

pro- its called TNA

anti-Wait, you want us to put tits and ass pro wrestling on our network? Meeting adjourned. 

TNA  is the one of the worst names of a product I can think of. 

Your final sentence is interesting. It suggests that you started to say "the worst" before rethinKing and adding "one of the ..."

What is an example of a product name worse than TNA?

Your final sentence is interesting. It suggests that you started to say "the worst" before rethinKing and adding "one of the ..."

What is an example of a product name worse than TNA?

That was before I googled "worst brand names" and looked at images. The one off the top of my head was the diet candy called "ayds" that seemed to fall out of favor in the 80s for some reason. But I after the Google search there are worse.....much much worse. I do suppose that is the worst I could think of without looking. 

TNA is a  really, really bad name for a wrestling company. 

Have they put the Sting and AJ Styles vs Lex Luger an Jeff Jarrett from November 2003 on a DVD yet? It's TNA, I'm sure they have but I might give the The Best of a look at if they had stuff like that. I have never seen that match or the two matches with Jarrett he had in November and December of 03. I've never seen any of Stings spring of 2004 appearances. I might buy a DVD with that stuff on it. I wonder if they will put his final match with EC3 on there?

I want to say that tag match is on one of the AJ Styles DVDs but a quick search doesn't corroborate that.  The customer reviews have it on Best Of The Asylum Years Vol. 1*.  I could just be thinking of the other tag match which is on the first Sting DVD.  One of them has Russo on commentary liberally cursing including dropping uncensored F-bombs which I found hilarious since Sting and Styles are really open about their faith on their DVDs.

Worse brand name: Washington Redskins Wrestling!  Just start a company and wait for people to give you money.

'Impact Wrestling' is really generic and there's multiple wrestling promotions out there with some iteration of 'Impact' in their name.  I don't know if kids today really hear the term 'T & A' and automatically think 'tits and ass'.  I feel like that's a term that old people use hence why Russo thought 'TNA' to be witty.

'Total Nonstop Action Wrestling' is probably the stronger brand name.  It's more unique, 'TNA' abbreviates into something chant-able which is a thing wrestling fans seem to enjoy doing.  Of course, it's a dumb name but there's already like a decade of brand equity built into it although they've done a lot to further devalue it the past few years.

Really, most wrestling companies have names that lack any kind of credibility as a professional sports organization.  World Wrestling Entertainment, Ring Of Honor, Lucha Underground, Global Force Wrestling.  Like World Wrestling Federation, National Wrestling Alliance, United States Wrestling Association, etc. sound kind of legit like National Football League, Major League Baseball, National Association For Stock Car Auto Racing, etc.  Of course, I say that knowing full well that shoot fight promotions have even dumber names.

*There does not appear to be a Vol. 2 cause this is TNA.

TNA got TV in Canada on Fight Network.  They're even getting Xplosion which probably hasn't aired in North America since the Asylum days.  If they revamped that show a little it'd be more useful than Unlocked.

I respectfully disagree with most of your points. but when you said:

I feel like that's a term that old people use hence why Russo thought 'TNA' to be witty.

is an argument against, don't you think?

Sure.  It should've been shot down at pitch but going on 10+ years, it is what it is.

Changing the name now would be like trying to fix a car's mechanical issues by putting new vanity plates on it.  I just don't think it would make any difference.